Oklahoma pharmacist Jerome Ersland sentenced to life in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
OldMarksman

Quote:
Posted by Alaska444: don't believe it was murder 1.

...murder 1? Sorry, I just don't buy it
So, you are saying that you do not believe that Ersland specifically intended to kill Parker.

Just what is it that you think he was trying to accomplish?

Premeditated murder is the crime of wrongfully causing the death of another human being (also known as murder) after rationally considering the timing or method of doing so, in order to either increase the likelihood of success, or to evade detection or apprehension.[1] State laws in the United States vary as to definitions of "premeditation." In some states, premeditation may be construed as taking place mere seconds before the murder. Premeditated murder is usually defined as one of the most serious forms of homicide, and is punished more severely than manslaughter or other types of murder - often with the death penalty or a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premeditated_murder

Not sure what the definition of premeditated or first degree murder is in OK, but for sake of argument, let's go with this one.

Was he thinking rationally at the moment of the second shooting?

Understanding the physiology of the fight and flight adrenaline dump, I would give him the benefit of the doubt at that point.

When our fight or flight system is activated, we tend to perceive everything in our environment as a possible threat to our survival. By its very nature, the fight or flight system bypasses our rational mind—where our more well thought out beliefs exist—and moves us into "attack" mode. This state of alert causes us to perceive almost everything in our world as a possible threat to our survival. As such, we tend to see everyone and everything as a possible enemy. Like airport security during a terrorist threat, we are on the look out for every possible danger. We may overreact to the slightest comment. Our fear is exaggerated. Our thinking is distorted. We see everything through the filter of possible danger. We narrow our focus to those things that can harm us. Fear becomes the lens through which we see the world.

http://www.thebodysoulconnection.com/EducationCenter/fight.html

If you feel he can develop a felonious premeditation ONCE his fight or flight was activated by pistol in his face, that is your opinion, but I would never venture such an opinion against a law abiding citizen placed in the ultimate stress test, your life or theirs. Give me a break. Do you really believe he was in his NORMAl rational brain to have the faculties to rationally decide, I am going to kill this kid on purpose?

Sorry, I take him at his word that in his agitated state of fear he thought he saw the kid moving in a purposeful manner for a gun. We can at this time categorically state he was wrong, but were you there and did you see in an altered adrenaline filled state of mind what he saw? I believe he saw a man moving and wrongly interpreted that as moving for his gun. I have witnessed many severely brain injured people in a 20 year career to understand that they have involuntary movements especially right after injury that could be interpreted as a deliberate movement. In that scenario, there is no murder whatsoever, it is still self defense no matter how ugly the situation looks on ONE view of a video camera. What if we had a second camera showing the kid moving in such a manner that a reasonable person could believe he was reaching for a gun like this man testified.

I believe that there is sufficient doubt to render not guilty on murder 1, but perhaps find guilty on manslaughter.

You're lying to yourself if you think shooting someone is not trying to kill them.
1. Saying a thing, even repeatedly does not make it so. I provided the evidence to show that using a gun in self-defense, even shooting someone in self-defense is not anywhere near an automatic death sentence for the attacker.

2. Judging others by what goes on in your own head is likely to result in false conclusions. You have no idea what I believe or what I think.
...under the influence of a massive amount of adrenaline that your body in not used to. How long is a "moment?" It varies between who you talk to. If you think the adrenaline wore of in the 30 seconds it took him to fetch the other pistol you are dead wrong.
Questions like "How long is a "moment"? brings to mind a quote by a former president--"It all depends on what the meaning of "is" is." We all know what a "moment" is even though it's a subjective term. And while a person might have a momentary lapse while under extreme stress, it's really stretching things to say that "momentary" amounts to a walk in the sunshine, fetching another gun and shooting an unconscious man multiple times. A jury of his peers didn't buy the idea that it was merely a "momentary lapse" and they clearly made the right decision based on the video evidence.
I'm saying IF he would have died with the first shot or the sixth, he'd be just as dead.
I see you emphasized the word "if". Which is correct since that makes your comment pure speculation as I stated it was. The point is that no one knows what the outcome would have been had the pharmacist not murdered the man on the floor and therefore any comments trying to justify the pharmacist's actions based on what might have happened are pure speculation.
You are not thinking clearly.
I think a lot of people, you included, are completely missing the point of this thread.

NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO THINK CLEARLY.​

NOW is the time for you to make decisions about what you will and won't do in a deadly force encounter. You can choose NOW to do the right thing or you can persist in the idea that it's simply out of your hands once the adrenaline starts coursing through your system. Or worse you can decide right now that you're going to kill your attacker whether you have to break the law to do it or not.

As pax noted in an earlier post, it seems quite plain that Ersland was set on killing his attackers, not just on ending the encounter. That's why he pursued one down the street shooting at him even after the attacker had clearly broken off the attack and left the shop and that's why he came back and murdered the one on the floor.

Incidents like this are exactly why this subforum of TFL exists. It's here so we can discuss and decide the legal and proper course of action and so that we can learn from the mistakes and bad decisions of others. As well as from what's done right and from the right decisions made by others.
Speeding is illegal. Jaywalking is illegal. Littering is illegal. I bet you have been guilty of these things from time to time, and I also bet you are not what most would call a "criminal scumbag."
The law and the courts and society draw a clear line between misdemeanors and felonies for a VERY good reason. Trying to pretend that line doesn't exist is disengenuous and basing an argument on that pretense is silly. It's ridiculous to pretend that speeding and murder are equivalent in any reasonable sense.
First of all, there's no such thing as a non-biased human being.
This is what's called a non sequitur. It doesn't refute anything I claimed nor does it support anything you've claimed.

Of course humans are biased. What I said was that it's not necessary to have biased jurors to be exonerated. You implied that I would be happy to have you sitting on a jury in my self-defense case. I don't need that kind of support from a juror nor do I want anyone else to benefit from having a juror who won't convict for murder even when the evidence warrants it. I'll be more than satisfied to have one that decides the case on its own merits.
That guy died on someone else's property, threatening someone else's life, it was his decision.
No, this is absolutely false.

He died on someone else's property while lying helpless on the floor, it was Ersland's decision to murder him.
The fight was over, but Ersland didn't necessarily know that.
Ersland CLEARLY knew it. That's why he lied about what he did and that's why he showed absolutely no signs in the video that he was concerned about any threat from the man on the floor.
In a case I recall reading on this board, a cop got into a gunfight with a BG. After said BG fell in front of him, Officer Jared Reston pulled him in close put his pistol to his head and shot him 3 times.
This is a VERY badly flawed description of what happened. The officer had been severely wounded to the point that he could not stand and the two were grappling when the shots were fired. The fight was still VERY much in progress at that point.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_4_34/ai_n56222291/

This all happened in just a very few seconds. Reston is pinned in place by his injured body; his ambusher moving swiftly to his right, both men shooting at each other the whole time. The attacker reaches a point directly above the cop when Reston fires another aimed shot and suddenly the assailant pitches forward and falls, landing hard with full body weight on top of Reston.
Grabbing the attacker with his right hand to hold him in place, Reston brings his pistol up with his left hand, presses it firmly against the man's head, and pulls the trigger three times as fast as he can: POW! POW! POW! He feels the man's body go limp.​

OuTcAsT

Quote:
He lost self control.
DING DING ! We have a winner !

the loss of "self control" lead him to commit a cold blooded murder, the jury was right on !

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

The question in my mind is not whether he "lost control" or not, we know when you get an adrenaline rush you are in an altered mental state period. The question in my mind, is what caused him to lose control as you state? The answer is easy, the gun pointed in his face with threats to his life and to the two employees with him. Looking at that perspective, are you so cool headed that you would not "lose control" with a gun pointed at your head and that you could stop the hormonal fight or flight response and be a cool hand Luke in that situation.

Sorry, I have had two episodes in my life where I "lost control" from life threatening situations. The first a dog, the second a car accident. I would not want to make serious rational decisions in the immediate seconds after I was in both of those situations. Having that understanding personally, I give this man the benefit of bad judgement in 20-20 hindsight.

I have had two episodes in my life where I "lost control" from life threatening situations. The first a dog, the second a car accident. I would not want to make serious rational decisions in the immediate seconds after I was in both of those situations.
And yet in neither case did you commit a felony while under stress.

Stress certainly affects how we think, but it doesn't give us the right to commit murder and it certainly doesn't drive us to commit murder.

Again, the point of this portion of TFL is to think through real life scenarios so we can form ideas of how we would react and how we WON'T react BEFORE the stress sets in.

I'm NOT saying that stress makes it difficult or impossible to act lawfully or that stress is what caused Ersland to do what he did, but it certainly can't hurt to have a lawful strategy in place before the fact rather than winging it.

And more to the point it will certainly help to PRE-REJECT illegal strategies so that they don't even come to mind when stress comes to visit.

Not sure what the definition of premeditated or first degree murder is in OK,...

Well there's yer problem right there! How can you be arguing the guy didn't commit the crime for which he was convicted when you don't even understand what the components of the crime mean?

Arguing from ignorance is not a good position to argue from. Creating a hypothetical to explain what you don't understand about and actual and knowable set of information does not actually replace that actual and knowable set of information.

Criminals aren't born scumbags, they create themselves by making bad decisions and by performing criminal acts. ANYONE can make himself into a criminal scumbag by making one or two bad decisions and by performing just one criminal act. The pharmacist did just that.

That you would now place the pharmacist in the same scumbag category as those who committ one violent criminal act after another is sad to see.

He failed to control his adrenaline fueled fear and anger, and the system will hold him accountable for that. He'll serve more time in prison than many violent repeat offenders.

And he'll probably be the most decent inmate in the whole prison.

You may think one act driven by fear and anger, in what was originally a survival situation, makes a person a scumbag.

But when you do, you lose sight of the fact that violent repeat criminal defenders don't make bad decisions. They make choices when they're as rational as they'll ever be.

Criminal activity becomes the context in which they live. The context in which the pharmacist lived was one of a responsible individual who provided a service to his community and of being a good citizen.:cool:

Just my thoughts on the matter.

So at what point is the cutoff to become a bona fine scumbag? Two armed robberies? One smash and grab? One drug deal plus one assault? Guilty by a jury of his peers. Evidence reviewed and judged according to the law. One murder qualifies for a scumbag to me.

Some people in this thread seem to have an issue with comparing Ersland with his robbers; some of the same people seem to think that those of us who believe Ersland did in fact commit first degree murder are sympathetic to his robbers.

I think Ersland did commit Murder 1, and got what he deserved.

OTOH, I am not sympathetic to the robbers. I think they should all be up on Murder 1 charges (the 3 survivors), but I don't know if OK law makes accomplices to a crime liable for the results of their crime, as do many other states.

And, if a civil suit were to ensue, I would not decide in favor of the survivors of the decedent. He was part of an armed robbery, and I have no sympathy.

However, I would not have shot him while he lay, unconscious, on the ground. Ersland did, despite what should have been sufficient cooling-off time to realize he really should not do that.

So, I also have no sympathy for Ersland. And I'm really not sure why so many of you do.

That you would now place the pharmacist in the same scumbag category as those who committ one violent criminal act after another is sad to see.
I can understand the difference between a criminal and a habitual criminal, but in my opinion that's not nearly as important a distinction as the difference between law-abiding person and criminal.
Criminal activity becomes the context in which they live. The context in which the pharmacist lived was one of a responsible individual who provided a service to his community and of being a good citizen.
No, I don't buy it. A murderer doesn't get a break for being otherwise responsible or for providing a service to the community.

If that were true then we should be outraged because the BTK killer got life in prison. He was a murderer and a rapist, but he was otherwise a responsible citizen and provided various services to the community when he wasn't killing, torturing and raping.

Besides, the law provides for lenience in cases where it's warranted because the act was seen as a one-time abberation or when it's truly seen as an understandable and momentary lapse in judgement. The judge & jury decided that it wasn't warranted in this situation based on the evidence. Based on what is seen in the video I have to agree with them.
I think they should all be up on Murder 1 charges (the 3 survivors), but I don't know if OK law makes accomplices to a crime liable for the results of their crime, as do many other states.
I agree and so do the OK courts. The two surviving accomplices were convicted of murder 1 and sentenced accordingly.

JohnKSA, I thought there was another minor (the one with the gun) plus two adults who were all part of it.

Was I mistaken?

If not, what happened to the third?

Here is a website with the OK definition of 1st degree murder

1st Degree Murder —There are three ways to commit 1 st Degree murder:

Malice and Forethought Murder —the state must prove the defendant caused the death of a human with the deliberate intent to take away the life of a human being.

1 st Degree Felony Murder —the state must prove the death of a human occurred as a result of the defendant’s commission of one of several crimes. The state does not have to prove the defendant intended to cause the death.

Child Abuse Murder —the state must prove the death of a child under the age of eighteen occurred as a result of the defendant’s commission of child abuse or willfully permitting of child abuse. The state does not have to prove the defendant intended to cause the death of the child.

http://www.oklahomacriminallaw.com/homicide information.htm

Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Not sure what the definition of premeditated or first degree murder is in OK,...
Well there's yer problem right there! How can you be arguing the guy didn't commit the crime for which he was convicted when you don't even understand what the components of the crime mean?

Arguing from ignorance is not a good position to argue from. Creating a hypothetical to explain what you don't understand about and actual and knowable set of information does not actually replace that actual and knowable set of information.

Dear Doublenaught,

Take a look at the definition of OK manslaughter and you tell me which applies best:

1 st Degree Manslaughter— There are three ways to commit 1 st Degree Manslaughter they are as follows;

Misdemeanor Manslaughter — the state must prove the death of a human occurred as a result of the defendant’s commission of a misdemeanor. The state does not have to prove the defendant intended to cause the death. (Even though called Misdemeanor Manslaughter this is the felony offense of 1 st Degree Manslaughter.)

Heat of Passion Manslaughter —the state must prove the non-excusable or non-justified death of a human that was inflicted in a cruel and unusual manner while the defendant was in the heat of passion. Or the state must prove the non-excusable or non-justified death of a human that was inflicted by means of a dangerous weapon while the defendant was in the heat of passion.

Resisting a Criminal Attempt —the state must prove the death of a human perpetrated unnecessarily by the defendant while resisting an attempt by the deceased to commit a crime.

Looking directly at the above definitions, I see the best fit as heat of passion manslaughter if you feel he is criminally culpable. Since we don't know what was in his mind, let's view it this way as an alternative explanation to all of you folks who are crucifying this man and seem to know exactly what his intentions and thoughts were in this whole experience. Let me give an alternative reality.

He engaged the creeps and followed outside to make sure there were no further threats that could come inside. When his weapon was empty, his thoughts were to re-arm, which is the right decision. He walked past the creep on the floor because his thought was to protect the two women in the pharmacy and he needed his second weapon to do so. He secured the weapon and went back to the creep to see if he was still a threat.

He testified prior to trial that he saw the robber move and thought he was reaching for a gun. He then fired 5 shots.

Following someone outside to see if there is any more imminent threat coming your way is something a lot of folks have done. Not a good idea, but a common reaction. Securing the second weapon is a good idea and if that was his only thought, he may not have even seen the creep in his mind when he walked past, he was intent on getting the second gun. Seeing the creep move, I find it understandable that he could have perceived that as a continued threat even though we now know it was not.

Putting all of these elements together with the known fight of flight physiology, do we really still call that 1st degree murder? I think at most, heat of passion manslaughter could be a possible outcome but then what about mitigating circumstances? What about manslaughter resisting a criminal attempt? And all the jury could do was go for 1st degree?

Sorry, I would not go for that myself.

MLeake

Some people in this thread seem to have an issue with comparing Ersland with his robbers; some of the same people seem to think that those of us who believe Ersland did in fact commit first degree murder are sympathetic to his robbers.

I think Ersland did commit Murder 1, and got what he deserved.

OTOH, I am not sympathetic to the robbers. I think they should all be up on Murder 1 charges (the 3 survivors), but I don't know if OK law makes accomplices to a crime liable for the results of their crime, as do many other states.

And, if a civil suit were to ensue, I would not decide in favor of the survivors of the decedent. He was part of an armed robbery, and I have no sympathy.

However, I would not have shot him while he lay, unconscious, on the ground. Ersland did, despite what should have been sufficient cooling-off time to realize he really should not do that.

So, I also have no sympathy for Ersland. And I'm really not sure why so many of you do.

Really, cooling off period? When, all I saw was a man engaged, returned and reengaged erroneously because of a false interpretation of what he thought was a purposeful movement of a severely brain injured man. If you have never seen brain injured people performing involuntary movements, you could easily mistake these reflexes as a directed movement.

Is there not room for reasonable doubt that he intended to maliciously and with malice of forethought deliberately intend to kill this boy just to kill him?Why not go with the heat of passion manslaughter which has a much better fit to the situation? There is something wrong with our current system where the jury is not allowed to consider heat of passion manslaughter but only given the other options.

Perhaps their verdict was based on ignorance of OK manslaughter laws and perhaps they were not instructed on that as an option.

1st Degree Murder

Malice and Forethought Murder —the state must prove the defendant caused the death of a human with the deliberate intent to take away the life of a human being.
Just out of curiosity, what do you call it when someone walks across the room to retrieve a loaded gun, walks back across the room to where a man lies unconscious on the floor and then shoots the man multiple times at point blank range.

If that's not causing the death of a human being with the deliberate intent to take away the life of a human being then I don't know what else to call it.

Based on the information you quoted, it sounds like murder 1 was exactly the right verdict.
He secured the weapon and went back to the creep to see if he was still a threat.
The surveillance video in the link below clearly shows that he didn't consider the man on the floor to be any threat at all. At about 0:36 in the video Ersland returns to the shop, walks past the man on the floor, turns his back to him and never even looks back to verify that he's still on the floor and that he's not moving.

During the few seconds it takes him to retrieve the gun he's visible on the video and you can see that he never so much as glances over in the robber's direction.

Then after getting the gun, he walks directly over to the victim and shoots him multiple times at point blank range even though he certainly could have easily shot him from across the room from behind cover if he wished.

It's clear he wasn't worried about the robber getting up off the floor while he had his back turned or while he was retrieving his gun and it's also clear that he had no concerns about approaching the robber to shoot him at point blank range.

There's nothing to suggest that he thought the man on the floor might be a threat and lots to indicate that he didn't consider him to be a threat.

http://bcove.me/neqajbxi
Perhaps their verdict was based on ignorance of OK manslaughter laws and perhaps they were not instructed on that as an option.
Based on the video evidence it is clear that Ersland didn't consider the unconscious robber to be a threat and that he caused the death of a human with deliberate intent. From the information you quoted that qualifies as murder 1.

The verdict appears to be based on the evidence and on proper instruction of the jury about the correct definition of murder 1.

Malice Aforethought

(n) Malice Afterthought is the intention to kill, or assassinate or otherwise inflict sever bodily harm to some person with full consciousness and presence of mind, while doing a wrongful act .Eg. Carrying a loaded gun to stop resistance by killing the opponents while looting a palace.

http://www.legal-explanations.com/definitions/malice-aforethought.htm

Now that we have looked at the definitions, I would contend that he did not possess full consciousness and presence of mind, due to the adrenaline blast he was undergoing. I see absolutely no "cooling off period" as alleged above. The half life of epinephrine or adrenaline is at least two minutes and the entire event occurred in 46 seconds. He was still greatly under the physiologic effects of an adrenaline surge. Sorry, I don't see malice and forethought, he was in the heat of battle if anything. I believe he deserves our reasonable doubt.

This is a VERY badly flawed description of what happened. The officer had been severely wounded to the point that he could not stand and the two were grappling when the shots were fired. The fight was still VERY much in progress at that point.

Yes that excerpt of my actual post would have left many details out. I am quite certain that I went on to point out that Reston had been shot multiple times already though.

Either way Reston "stopped" the suspect by intentionally KILLING him. Reston was on his knee, and the suspect collapsed in front of him, facing away from him. Reston pulled him in close, put his Glock to his head, and shot him 3 times. Executing him. Reston does not mention in his interview anything happening between the time the gunman collapsed, and the time he pulls him in and shoots him.

did not possess full consciousness and presence of mind, due to the adrenaline blast
If that's true then no one could ever be convicted of murder 1.

Any sane person would experience an "adrenaline blast" in any situation that might result in a charge of murder 1 and would therefore be exonerated.

It's totally unreasonable to define "full consciousness and presence of mind" so that it excludes anyone under stress. The term has a legal definition and I can assure you that definition is not met simply by being under stress or by experiencing an "adrenaline blast".

This has been an interesting discussion but it's beginning to deteriorate to folks grasping at straws in order to attempt to impeach a verdict that's clearly consistent with the laws cited and the evidence presented.
Either way Reston "stopped" the suspect by intentionally KILLING him.
Reston stopped the suspect by shooting him in the head. As pointed out more than once on this thread, that doesn't always result in death. In fact, Reston was shot in the head at the beginning of the encounter and yet he survived.

Second, the situation was extremely critical. Reston was badly wounded and couldn't get away from the attacker or even rise to his feet. He would have been unable to reload because the attacker was grappling with him. The attacker had already shot him multiple times and Reston couldn't afford to wait to see if he could survive being shot some more.

Reston needed an instant stop and with a handgun the only way to do that (if it's possible) is to try to take out the CNS. It's important to understand that while a defender shouldn't be focused on killing his assailant, he certainly isn't obligated to try to PRESERVE the life of the attacker. If a CNS hit is possible and likely and seems like the best or only chance to avoid serious injury or death for the defender/defended then it's certainly justifiable if the other criteria for the use of deadly force are satisfied.

Alaska444, I'm with JohnKSa on this. The video does not show the actions of a man who perceives an acute threat. Such a man would not turn his back on the threat, and would not deliberately walk back toward the threat instead of using cover or concealment.

His actions, on video, make it perfectly clear that this was a killing by choice, not necessity.

His lies, after the fact, make it perfectly clear that he knew the situation, as it went down, would not pass the smell test.

Either that, or they prove he's in his own world somewhere, in which case his defense team should have tried to prove mental defect.

Your reactions under adrenaline argument don't cut it. I've been in car wrecks, been run off the road while on a bike, had to deal with fires in flight... yet I never killed anybody, or even struck them in anger, as a result.

I did have to defend myself against a road rager, once, as he physically assaulted me post-accident (his fiancee found at fault for failing to yield right of way when entering a highway, BTW). But he went down at my first palm-heel, and I did not inflict any further injury on him, since he discontinued the attack. Miracle of miracles, based on the adrenaline surge I was experiencing, right?

Tell you what, why not expend your energy on defending an SD shooter who actually deserves such support? Rather than wasting it on somebody who has made us all look bad, and who has committed deliberate murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back