Okay guys..I need a definitive answer

I don't think so. Not in 44 Mag. You won't find the 1860 Henry chambered for that cartridge.

Well crap, :rolleyes: It'll have to be in 44-40 then.

Whatever you do, stay away from 45 Colt. It isn't authentic for anything (yeah, yeah, you don't have to tell me, 44-40 isn't authentic for a '66 or Henry either). :rolleyes:

Or.................... an 1873 Carbine in 44 mag; yeah, that's the ticket, a 44 mag '73. Mmmmmmmmm sweeeeet.

Last edited:
There is a neat little detail shown in the pics of the Henry rifle. The front latch (magazine cap) has a spring and plunger that pulls the latch backward locking it in place so the sleeve* won't turn accidentally. (You can see the notch in the front band in Picture #2.)

But when the follower is pushed all the way forward, it pushes the back end of the plunger, pushing the latch forward (as shown) and allowing the sleeve to be turned for loading. That not only made sure the follower was all the way forward for loading, but kept the user from trying to turn the sleeve when the the follower was to the rear and damaging the magazine spring. Oddly, it took me a while to realize how that business worked until I tried to turn the sleeve on a Henry when I shouldn't have. I am glad I didn't do something wrong and mess up the gun - it wasn't too valuable then, but would be darned expensive today.

Jim

*With all respect, I don't like calling that part a false muzzle, since that term is used for a quite different device, used with a muzzle loader.

Jim

Last edited:
James...

Thanks again for another piece of info on present day rifles in comparison to originals....

To Fingers:

You are right....I think everyone who reads anything from me, knows that I am not happy unless I have at least two of everything out there. (Except for the LeMat and the Paterson because I hate the looks of them. I won't buy either of those pistols until everyone else is giving them away.) So your advice to get one of each is probly what will eventually happen, even if you were joking. (BTW...It was funny but unfortunately it was funny cause it is probly an accurate reflection of the outrageous way I do business.)

I am not trying to decide to buy or not buy a rifle from Chaparral Arms based on reliability. I know the reliability of the rifle is not up to par at least from the experience of those on the forum. I am trying to decide to buy or not buy a Chaparral arms rifle based on the obvious compromises they made not only to reliability but to historical accuracy. I am already leaning against because of the steel frame issue. If I were to learn that there are obvious differences in the appearance of the Chaparral Arms 1866 APART from the frame I would only get one at a low price and only after I had purchased a historically accurate 1866 and a historically accurate 1873.

In fact, when I learned of the Chaparral Arms 1866, it was because I was searching "1873 Winchester". The rifle came up on GB because in the vendor's title they call it an "1866 Winchester 1873". I still don't understand where the 1873 tagged on the end came from unless it is a cheap trick by the vendor to lure in unsuspecting and uninformed (like me) bidders. I hate those kind of tricks as much as I hate 35.00 to ship a revolver in the U.S. That alone would send me looking elsewhere no matter what.

Y'all have already convinced me that I ought to be reloading .44-40. So this opens up the possibilities.

Thanks Driftwood

Hey may thanks for that little Henry / Winchester timeline, I read that a couple times, I enjoyed alot of the details, especially the iron frame henrys.

A few decades ago, I saw a picture and short gunzine article on an oddball Henry with wood foreend and different magazine. Instead of the slotted magazine and thumbpiece follower, it had a telescoping slip tube like a .22 rimfire... or the modern Henry Big Boy out of New Jersey. The foreend was long enough that it had a notch out over the loading port.

The author could only speculate, was it an unproduced prototype or a gunsmith modification?

Around 5 or 6 years ago, Taylors had what was called a Transitional Henry made by Uberti that were listed at $1897.00 at the time. It closed off the slot in the mag tube, had a pop on forearm & replaced the right side plate with one with a loading port. I'd say they probably didn't sell very well cause they're no longer listed. Parts breakdown is still on Taylors website. Here's a picture:

TransitionalHenry_zps6b082ad1.jpg

Henry_Transition_zps0031b5e3.jpg

Last edited:
A few decades ago, I saw a picture and short gunzine article on an oddball Henry with wood foreend and different magazine. Instead of the slotted magazine and thumbpiece follower, it had a telescoping slip tube like a .22 rimfire... or the modern Henry Big Boy out of New Jersey. The foreend was long enough that it had a notch out over the loading port.

The author could only speculate, was it an unproduced prototype or a gunsmith modification?

http://www.liveauctionworld.com/Ext...t-Henry-Rifle-Formerly-of-the-Winch_i12220110

http://merzantiques.com/museum/winchester-new-haven-arms-briggs-patent-henry-carbine-circa-1865

Wow MJN77,, I really had never seen one of the Briggs Henrys before, It is just a wonderful looking gun..

2 questions

Has anyone seen one of these Briggs in operation before, any comments on how it worked???

And does anyone have any links to how Henry tried to take over the New Haven / Winchester firearms company, and I thought Henry worked at Winchester until 1873 or so.. Was this after the take over coup?????

Back