Okay, fess up...

Often carry my Blackhawk in 45 LC, sometimes have a 38 in my pocket or quite often a single six with 22 mag on my daily walk. If I didn't feel comfortable with that would take a rifle. Really if I wasn't comfortable or was worried expecting trouble I would have no business going in the first place.

When I was younger & went camping with my dad he always took his blackhawk 44mag. Anything in my state on 2 or 4 legs will go down in front of that thing. We usually had rifles also. But the handgun was there for a purpose, to get into action FAST if the occasion demanded it. I watched him do some cowboy style shooting, single handed fast draw style. I wouldn't want to face him shooting that thing under 50yrds with anything I own. He's a big man 6'2' 310lbs. with big hands. He has NO trouble running that thing with one hand. Yes, an auto or DA 357mag is faster on follow up shots, but when we're talking possible BIG 4 legged threat, I'll take the cannon. Carry for ccw is not a smart idea, seems a little overkill(IMHO). But a good SA revolver absolutely has its place, even in our high-tech world

I would rather have a single-six 22lr and be able to hit what I was aiming at than have a semi- or a DA that I wasn't comfortable with. It's all about accuracy, people. Ten rounds of 9mm that miss a goblin aren't as helpful as one round of 22lr that hits it's target. If you shoot better with a SA then that is what should get the nod.

Someone points a Kel-Tec .32 at me, they'll get my attention. Someone points a Blackhawk .44 mag at me, they'll get my attention AND they'll make me sh** my pants. So I feel quite comfy packing a s/a when I'm in the mood. ;)

I've often thought that an S&W Schofield-style gun, modified to take ammo that is on moon clips, would be a very good defensive handgun.

The theory that a single-action revolver takes two hands to operate, while a double-action doesn't, is both quaint and wrong.

Over the past 30 years or so, I have often carried a single action Ruger for protection. Now that predates CCW here in Florida by a wide margin. I do not feel undergunned if so armed. Most gunfights involving citizens are decided with two or three shots maximum. I do not need two hands to operate my .45LC Blackhawk, and can put the 6 rounds into the target as quickly as most can. Reloads are NOT that slow. I use Bianchi Speed Strips and they thumb right into the loading gate. For those that are uncomfortable with a SA revolver for self protection, there are a veritable glut of self shuckers for your perusal on the market today.

Past Vida Locas. In the barrio got into a series of opinion differences with the gentry from a local alternative social club. At the time all that I had was a Uberti/Colt 3rd model Dragoon, carried it around in a amigo type cooler.(A bit too big to have on ones person) Kept those fine gentlemen at a distance, albiet that SA revolver was just a bit outdated. Knew a gentleman who shot a transgressor with a replica Walker. So even the real relics (designs-whether replica or orig) seem to be still in use. I guess it's a matter of use what ya brung...much better now in my case, a slightly more updated selection for my armory...could use a 16pdr though or a saucy-cans

Just sold my 9mm (actually, traded for a rifle)---so while I'm waiting to save up for a new P95----I'm using a stainless SBH with 4 5/8's barrel in the mean time for a truck gun.

You should have asked ok who here is a fool. A single action revolver is not a definsive sidearm anymore. A da revolver is still a viable option but a SA give me a break.
PAT
and
Its time to face the fact that this weapon system is no longer a good choice for defence.
PAT
So, PAT, in your alleged occupation as a police officer, if you come face to face with a bad guy wielding a single action, you're not going to feel threatened. Hell, you're not even going to be worried because you know the bad guy is a fool and the that thing throwing .45 slugs your way is not a viable weapon. Ain't no way it could kill you or even hurt you, right--after all, you carry an automatic. I bet you don't even duck or draw your gun. After all, it is not a viable weapon.

I don't routinely carry a SA, but there have been times when I have for various reasons, and I was never particularly worried because I "only had a SA." In most cases, it's not going to matter what you carry but how you use it--it's the fighter that wins the fight not the weapon. I'd a whole lot rather face an overconfident young fool with a "modern" weapon that an old cuss who'd "seen the elephant" a couple times and knew what he was doing with a revolver.

...Not that any of them would bother to mention it....BUT...I know of at least three gentlemen that carry only SA pistols and I don't know of anyone I'd rather take to a pistol fight. They can/and have proven themselves with those pieces many times...and they're still walkin'....

Don't mistake choice for somethin' else...

It is obvious that many here have not been to a cowboy action shoot.

While limitations may be more eveident in a situation where both people are armed, know it and there is no time advantage; that is rarely the case.

(note the tasteful, allthough probally misused semicolon)

Additionally thankfully most criminals are not skilled in firearms application.

I have in the past used and will probaly again in the future use one of my sheriff models for concealed carry. (if it wasn't for the colts value and the saftey conversion on rugers I would use one now)

The director of gunsite often carries a single action!

Dagny, Fairplay...Anyway a saucy cans was the french 75mm general purpose field gun. The AEF soldiers, having heard the proper french name for the 75mm (french word for 75mm etc) soon corrupted it to saucy cans. The French 75mm was a wonder weapon, of sorts, when introduced. Accurate, high rate of fire...however the French overemphasised it ,got into some trouble in '15 and '16 as they were short of heavy howitzers etc. The French 75mm later was adapted to the 75mm Sherman tank, where it gained a reputation for having the projectile bounce off of the Panthers and Tiger I's. No doubt still in use somewhere even now.

I'm getting the distinct impression that there are a few in this thread whom are not familiar with the proper use of the single action revolver or their effectiveness in the hands of one skilled in their application.
Never underestimate your opponent, his choicen equipement and/or ability to use it.

Anyone who thinks that a skilled man armed with a large caliber single action revolver, is not adequately armed is deluding themselves.

7th

Back