Okay don't laugh yet, suppressed shotgun

20nickels

So I saw the movie "No Country for Old Men" and a main character uses an autoloading shotgun with a enormous can on it shooting buckshot throughout the movie. Now I know it's been tried, but please remind me that there is no friggin' way this works, or works well at least. :rolleyes:

Yes, definitely possible, and available; I've fired a Hushpower single-shot, and it was an interesting experience; the expansion chamber ran basically the whole length of the barrel, so there were 1/4" ports the whole way, with threaded discs for mounting the outer tube welded onto the barrel (you could unscrew the outer tube for cleaning/maintenance). There were a couple of odd things about this set-up; one, it had a weird sort of "thump-riiiinnnnng" sound when it was fired, because the outer tube acted like a bell when the pressure hit it. Two, there was enough residual pressure inside the expansion chamber that it tried to fold the pie-crimp on the shells back in, at least 3/4s of the way.

I stand corrected. The one in the movie was short and stubby, like a Family size can of soup or a coffee mug only taller. The barrel was cut off at the magazine. He didn't mention if he had the proper permits........:p

It Is Possible.

How the shotgun suppressors work is by extending/porting or porting the existing barrel, and attaching a reflex-type suppressor to the end. Basically the baffels are placed OVER the ports as to keep the buck/bird shot out of them and to allow the use of chokes. They work, but they are not the most effective out there. Most people dont even bother. No Country For Old Men, the fact he's using is suppressor is a reality, the sound it made is BOGUS.

They tend to be fairly effective "as-is", as a shotgun is a lower-pressure firearm to begin with, and the wad does a good job of eliminating any "blow-by". They could be more effective with a multi-chamber design, but they're already fairly large and heavy as it is.

Cool, never thought it was possible other than that single giant flechette in a sabot load I read about somewhere.
All I could think about while watching that movie.

No, the "bolt gun" was operated by compressed air; he also used a pump-action shotgun (looked like a Mossberg to me, but you never get a really good look at it) fitted with a large-diameter suppressor that has too little volume to be really effective, as well as a Tec-9.

The weapon used by Anton Chigurh is a captive bolt pistol. It is most widely used in the slaughter of cattle to stun the animals before they are butchered.

It's a "pistol" only in the sense that it uses an expanding gas to propel a projectile; however, that "projectile" is permanently attached to the firing device, as it only has to throw the bolt 3/4" forward to do what it has to do (stun an animal or fracture its skull, so it can be slaughtered). The version shown in NCFOM operates off of compressed gas (which is why whenever you see Chigurh using it, he's also carrying a tank of compressed gas), but other versions of these sorts of "bolt guns" have been made that work using gunpowder cartridges, like ramsets or power hammers. Some have also been made that fired ordinary small arms ammunition, but these will usually have a muzzle attachment that allows the user to press the gun against the animal's head without it slipping off. Chigurh also uses this device several times to knock locks through doors

noCountryForOldMen-1024.jpg

The silenced shotgun he uses is a completely different item, as seen below:

chigurh.jpg

Ever actually seen & listened to one of these:

tomanddeer.jpg

The Quiet Shotgun

Some guys shoot these things in Sporting Clays at my local club. The first time I witnessed this I thought they were joking around - not. The sound is so light it's incredible - as stated, it sounds more like a pellet gun...

Back