OK through XFull choke?

There are factory 00B loads designed to work with tighter chokes:

Patented buckshot stacking pattern...
...back in the 1980's Federal actually patented a specific way of stacking buckshot pellets in shotshells to get better patterns. This resulted in the Federal Premium line of buckshot with "Spiral Stacking."

The new Premium Buckshot ammo was advertised on highway billboards through out the South as well as in magazine style "Adverzines" sold from grocery store magazine racks in the 1980's.

These Buckshot loads, predated the Flite-Control wad concept by about 15 years and are still available in the Federal Premium product line.

Click on the Images in the patent for the concept in a nutshell.

Essentially - stacking the pellets in a slightly offset pattern allowed the large pellets to shift and flow rather than compress when passing through choke constriction.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4679505

On the other hand, there are factory loads on market that mimic pre-1963 buckshot technology.

Last edited:
Interesting... I've never seen those. I'd like to get my hands on a few to compare patterns with the regular 00. They would have to be comparable in price to regular shells to be worth it, for me - its hard to imagine a great enough improvement to justify spending double or whatever the premium price probably is. I suppose if you are a LEO or otherwise have a specific need for em...

Interesting... I've never seen those. I'd like to get my hands on a few to compare patterns with the regular 00. They would have to be comparable in price to regular shells to be worth it, for me - its hard to imagine a great enough improvement to justify spending double or whatever the premium price probably is. I suppose if you are a LEO or otherwise have a specific need for em...
Indeed, buckshot is not a generic commodity.

And yes there are methods of pellet size selection and stacking patterns that handloaders can use. The idea is to create a smooth pellet flow through forcing cone and choke constrictions.

Back