Ok, here's my first question for all of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriAnn

Inactive
...Am I the only one here who is not a gun owner? I'm just curious. For those of you who are gun owners and have children...at what age did you start teaching your children about gun safety? Ok, I know! That was 2 questions! :D

No kids in my house but I recommend teaching them as soon as possible. Like Eddie Eagle (of the NRA safety training program for kids) says, "Don't Touch! Tell an adult."

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

My wife and I took our daughters to a country range when they were 3 and 4 y/o. We already had discussed guns and safety at home.

I've already told the story on TFL so, for brevity, the girls saw the violence of a big bore pistol and the fun of shooting .22 rifle - all in one day (that I'll long cherish).

Dad started me out at the age of 3 with BB guns and always stressed safty.

I started shooting 22's around the age of 6-7 and by the time I was a boyscout was pretty good shot with .22 rifles and pistols.

Stared shooting hi-power rifles around age 13-14, and centerfire handguns around the same time.

Got my first .22 Rifle at 11-12, my first .22 pistol at 16, my first hi-power rifle at 14 (30-30), my first shotgun at 19 and my first centerfire pistol at 21.

Some of us have been at this a long time. ;)

We started my nephew on BB guns at 5.

Dr.Rob

I don't own any guns at the moment.

(Jeez, I can't believe I said that. Yoo hoo! Burglars! Over here!)

FWIW, I have been maintaining a pro-gun web site for two years before I bought a gun of my own.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

I don't think that you are the only one, LoriAnn. I myself currently own only one functioning shotgun and two antique ones. Gonna be buying myself a Ruger pistol soon though (I hope).

I have two beautiful daughters, a 6 yr. old and a 6 mo. old. I first started telling my oldest the four rules of gun safety about a year ago, but I wish I would have started even earlier. No, not Cooper's four rules (above, under gun safety); a child's four rules.

1. STOP

2. Don't touch

3. Walk away

4. Tell a grown-up.

These are important even if you have no guns in your house. Does your child ever go to a friend's home to visit? Do they have any guns? Are they locked up?

Step two came after my oldest could recite "the rules" in her sleep. Next was "The Test." I told her that I had left a gun in my office to test her on the rules. I asked her to go into the office (with me following behind her) and show me what to do. Please Note: Both my wife and I checked and double-checked to be sure the borrowed revolver was unloaded. She passed the test, she even put both her hands on her head as she walked out of the room.

The next stage of the test was an un-announced follow-up about three weeks later. After double-checking the revolver, we left it on the picnic table near her swingset. This time we watched from inside. When she saw it, she hesitated, and looked at it for a short while, then came running inside to tell us what she saw.

The next step will be this spring, showing her the damage that guns can do like Dennis did, then the fun they can be when used safely and properly.

I recommend the website www.kidsandguns.org for more information on safety.

------------------
RKBA!

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security -Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4

Ohio does not allow concealed carry.
http://www.ofcc.net

Ok, I have another question. Please, do not think I mean to offend with this question! I honestly do not! However, for those of you who started shooting at a young age, what was the reason? I mean, if you were a boy of say 10...was any part of it the thrill of killing something? Again, I am not meaning this in a negative way. I am just wondering if that part of it is part of the "thrill" for a young child. I'm not asking if that was the whole reason or anything, but I am curious as to if that added "excitement" to it.

TheBluesMan,
Right now my daughter is only 3, so she does not go to friend's houses yet. However, I am already worried about when she does. I DO plan to ask the parents if they own a gun. If so, I will follow up with the questions regarding where they put it, is it loaded, etc. However, how can I be sure they are telling me the truth? (You guessed it, I am a very protective Mom!)
A few months ago my husband and I were watching a show on tv. They were speaking to kids about gun safety. They eventually left the children alone in a room with a toy gun. Everytime the children eventually picked up the gun and started playing...pretending to shoot each other. That scared me. We immediately started to talk to Ashlyn about guns. I do not allow her to play with toy guns. This is a personal choice. Others may or may not agree with me. However, I just don't want her to be playing with toy guns, then one day be at a friend's house or something and find a real one. Again, just a personal choice.
I continually talk to Ashlyn about guns. She tells me that if she saw a gun she'd walk away from it and find a grown up. I pray that really is what she would do.

[This message has been edited by LoriAnn (edited December 07, 1999).]

Lori Ann I started shooting around 5 . The reason I guess now would be called "quality time" Whenever I get the chance to go home the time is taken up mostly with varmit hunting with dad. I really do not feel that gun ownership has anything to do with killing. Just because I own a gun does not mean that I desire to kill( I know the media would like you to believe this). There has never really been a thrill of killing for me. I hunt yes but I really like to eat them. I look at all the good hunters do for wildlife presevation and just enjoy the freedom to be part of the process.

Later
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren Thompson (edited December 07, 1999).]

I have never killed any thing! Or have I wanted to.
For me I learned at a very young age to shoot like about 3 or 4. I was taught to shoot and firearm safety by my Dad. That was the best time I ever spent with him I will never forget it.

He taught me not only firearm safety but also respect.

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

LoriAnn,

Welcome. I'm an NRA certified instructor qualified to teach Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol, among other things, and I have taught the "Eddie the Eagle" program to children. I do own guns.

The age at which you can teach firearm safety will vary with each child and their parents are the best judge of their readiness. There are also several levels of firearms safety training that can be taught.

The first is the Eddie the Eagle course which DOES NOT introduce the child to the gun. It consists of a video tape and some other materials targeted toward different age groups. It pretty much teaches kids to STOP, DON'T TOUCH, LEAVE THE AREA and TELL AN ADULT if they see a gun. It tries to impress on them that "telling" is the right thing to do and that Eddie "loves them to much" to let something happen to them. This can be taught at almost any age if the child is putting thoughts together (3 or so).

I actually taught my children gun handling and shooting at about 6 or 7 years. They were taken to range and , much like Dennis' kids, introduced to a lot on that first day. Keeping in mind that "prolonged" exposure to gunfire can damage hearing, I did fire the first shot that day (and only that one time) without them having the benefit of hearing protection - lesson one, guns are LOUD! That first shot was fired into a watermelon (which had been described to them as being mostly water just like people) and the melon promptly exploded into a pink cloud - lesson two, bullets do GREAT damage!

Lesson three was a drawn out shooting affair (I won't go into here) that showed them shooting could be fun with the right gun, eye protection and ear protection, but Daddy's gun KICKED HARD! Don't ever touch it!

Have Miss Demeanors introduce you to a local gun club instructor and get the correct level of training for your kids as soon as you think they are ready. Trained kids are safer kids.

Mikey

Lori..
I'm a mom to an 18 month old boy. I grew up on a farm and Dad taught me to shoot starting around 5-6. By 10 I was doing varmint control as a daily chore (unsupervised); bunnies, jackrabbits and ground squirrels can really hurt production and income and brazen coyotes cause quite a bit of trouble as well.

I vaguely recall being distressed the first time I shot and killed a ground squirrel, but the alternative was poison bait and potentially killing a whole string of critters, including our cats and dogs.

Besides the necessity of protecting my livlihood, I enjoy the skill of marksmanship. Guns aren't only for killing.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

LoriAnn, sorry I asked about you being at the other board--I completely ignore the names people leave at the end of posts.

I started shooting when I was maybe 6? In my family, the reason to learn to shoot was so you could go hunting with the rest of the family (when I was considered too young to deer hunt w/ the family, they'd give grandma the best stand. She'd kill out the first day, then take me squirrel hunting the next. :) ) The "thrill of killing something" is mostly a phrase used by people who've never killed anything but a bug. They've seen a lot of movies and think there's some dark monster inside them craving blood--but it just ain't so, for most of us. There IS a thrill in a great shot, or in outsmarting a wild turkey in its element, but killing is a very small part of the hunt. In my family we hunt doves EVERY year. I have honest to god killed maybe 10 doves in my lifetime, because they're just so damn fast--but it doesn't matter! I keep going back because it's a good time with dad and grandpa so I don't have to kill anything (although doves tasted good.) BTW, my dad stored his guns in the living room closet w/o locks, and I NEVER touched 'em without permission. I don't recommend that anyone store guns that way but it can be done.

About the ABC special, I saw it too. My mom and I watched it together and were extremely irritated.

1. They left the guns IN THE TOYBOX. Does anyone really believe that's a true test? They successfully proved that even Eddie Eagle can't save kids whose parents are stupid enough to leave guns in the toybox. Duh.

2. SO WHAT if the Eddie Eagle program can't stop every kid/gun accident? Nothing can, but that's no reason to abandon it.

3. They tried to claim that the NRA's stance was that the RKBA was OK because Eddie Eagle exists, therefore if they prove Eddie Eagle ineffective the RKBA is invalid. Bull.

It's easy to laugh this stuff off but reasonably intelligent people like yourself with little firearms experience tend to believe it, get scared, and then we get new laws.

Hope that's not too much to throw at you your first day. Good luck!

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Lori Ann-

I started shooting rimfires around age 9 or 10. It was just an activity our family engaged in. I didn't hunt until I was 16. All of the guns in our house were unlocked when I was a kid and not one of us would have ever thought of "playing" with one. Now that I have a 2 yr old of my own, every gun I own is locked securely in a cabinet.

Everyone's experience is different.

LoriAnn, I can't speak to children just yet,(three months to go!) but as to my family, I was tought gun safety from before I can remember. Like Daren, it was time spent with Dad, and any thing he said was highly regarded, after all, he was my hero.

I grew up enjoying the outdoors and watching my Dad hunt. He started me off with my own gun at age eight. He showed me everything that he knew. As a Father, he was concerned for my safety and he watched me until he thought that I showed enough maturity to be on my own, then he let me hunt alone.
As to your other question,
After hunting with my Father for the first time, and feeling a squirrel dead in my hand, there was no "thrill" about it. I realized what a gun was for and what it did and that made a huge impression on my mind.
I still love to hunt, and I eat what I shoot.

------------------
jones

I never got any Eddie Eagle or any other gun-related training, except in the Scouts. And I'd hardly call that training; my troop went to a trap range and just for giggles, the scoutmaster gave me, an undersized 9-year-old, a 12-gauge pump and no ear protection. It took me about 15 years to recover, and I still haven't forgiven the bastard.

I count myself lucky: although raised by Democrats in Lost Angeles, and my only exposure to firearms as a kid was a more-or-less traumatic event, I'm now a card- and gun-carrying Libertarian.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article II, Section 13, CO state constitution.

My goodness how perceptions can change. DC is a mother of an 18 month old? What a lucky kid! Lori, you are among friends.

LoriAnn...Yes I have guns. To your 2nd question: I have three children and three grandchildren. I started my son when he was 4 and my eldest daughter when she was 3. I started my youngest daughter when she was 5. I started my oldest grandson when he was 7. My oldest granddaughter, who is 5, has not started with guns, nor has my youngest granddaughter who is 3 months. I started when I was 8. My older brothers started when they were 10.

It isn't an age of years, but a combination of opportunity and age of understanding and behavior. Of course there are many other considerations. I am often asked this same question during many of my self defense classes. It is a good question and it has a bottom line. This may also be more than you asked for here, so forgive me for going on....

I do not love guns, I'm not a gun nut. Guns are tools to me and they are well maintained and used for specific purposes. I own guns and use guns. I love that I can own guns and I love that I can use guns. But, they are tools not that different from some other tools I have. Like knives, hachets and axes. They are all tools and all can be used as deadly weapons. As adults we need to understand and take the responsibility for our tools and our actions with tools. We need to obtain the safety and legal training associated with each. We need to commit to these rules and be able to demostrate and explain them to others.

If an adult can not verbalize and manipulate handling of firearms and the safety rules, exposing their children at any age is a risk. Only the parents can determine when their child is ready to start with guns. And, it should be a joint decision if there are two parents. Usually it is the dad wanting and doing and the mom is going along with it. I stress to my adult female students to take charge in this matter and become an equal player in the decision and at least in the early development with all their children.

Dad has guns in the house. Dad takes kid to range. Dad goes to work (play, etc.) mom is left at home alone with kid and guns. Mom needs to know the guns and the kid and what level of responsible handling the child is developing. I know, the guns are locked up, well that's good, and I know this may be the ideal situation, but I stress for both parents to make the effort to work together on this guns and kids development. There are exception, single parents, etc., but at the very least, both parents should be prepared to discuss openingly with each other specific development when both can not attend shooting sessions.

There are also many good places training takes place professionally for children such as hunter education and some NRA classes like Edie Eagle.

The bottom line: "If the parent has to ask at what age do their children start, then the parent is not ready". That is a little blutt but I think it is the truth. There is a lot of hype in the press these days over the problem of kids with guns. Yes it is a problem, but the cause is not kids, it is we adults....

As an instructor it is a joy to my heart to hear the question, "at what age do I start my children with guns", because I know I have just met a responsble parent, otherwise they wouldn't have asked the question.

Best Regards......
"Train to Defend, Train to Survive, Train to Win"

Thank you all for answering me. I think I may have opened my mouth and put my foot in with my last question. No, I have never killed more than a bug. I have never shot a gun. I'm sorry if my question was insensitive. I did not intend it to be...I was just curious as to how you felt the first time I used a gun. Again, I apologize if I offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back