oiled rag ?

Lavan:
I..um... hate.. er... to ...um... break the news, but...um...WD-40 is NOT for rust protecction.

I agree WD-40 is about displacing moisture.Thats a good thing to do if you want to prevent rust.If you put on a lot,you will get a gummy deposit. I've heard its some kind of fish oil.I don't know.But a very thin film of this goo helps prevent rust.
I'm not a banner waving WD-40 advocate.Its a poor lubricant. Its a darn good aluminum tapping fluid!
Feel free to disagree,but IMO,its an OK wipedown. Not the greatest,but OK.

Birchwood Casey has a product called "Collector" Its kind of a CLP with staying power.Its good.
Right here in this section of TFL is a sticky "Evaluation of Gun Care Products" or something like that. Have you read it? I think on post 15 is a chart of relative effectiveness for corrosion resistance. WD-40 is not a super star.
But it does rank equal to or superior to a lot of common gun care oils and products per this sticky.

WD40 is fine for wiping down external metal gun surfaces.Don't use it in the action, it turns to varnish in time. hdbiker

No, it isn't

What's Stoddard Solvent?

Myth: WD-40® contains Stoddard Solvent.

Fact: Over the past few decades, the name Stoddard Solvent was synonymous with all mineral spirits. Today, the mineral spirits found in products like ours are more refined and processed (see hydrogenation, hydrotreating and distillation techniques) providing mixtures with varying boiling points, cleaning ability, and chemical composition.

The catchall phrase “Stoddard Solvent” is no longer adequate to tell the proper story. WD-40® does indeed have 50% mineral spirits, but they are refined and purified for specific characteristics needed to meet today’s performance, regulatory and safety requirements.

WD40 is fine for wiping down external metal gun surfaces.Don't use it in the action, it turns to varnish in time. hdbiker

No it doesn't. Agreed it is a water displacer but it's not made from fish oil nor does it turn to varnish or get gummy.

WD-40's main ingredients, according to its U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet* information, are:

· 51% Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits: primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
· 25% Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
· 15+% Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
· 10-% Inert ingredients

RIG on a small piece of sheep skin with about 1/2 inch of fur stored in an old plastic bullet box (not plastic bullets - just the box :D). I've hunted in horrible conditions for many years (I'm 71) and have NEVER had rust on any of my firearms.

Wd40, Kroil, Clp, Break Free, Tri Flow, Rem oil, or pretty much whatever else I grab out of my cabinet. I clean it out of the bore before firing anyway.

EZ,you are right. But this is setting straight some misinformation.
I did some research.
One of the first uses for WD-40 was 1958,it was used to prevent corrosion in Atlas Missiles.
15+% Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
Slopemo,I assume what is in parenthesis is your own supplemental comment.
The drug store mineral oil would be alight oil,but 140 weight gear oil is also "mineral oil"
The writeup I found actually said "hydrogenated heavy mineral oil"

That "hydrogenated" thing is what they do to vegetable oil to make Crisco.
It makes oil grease-like.
And,yes,it is suspended in a volatile petroleum distillate.This article explained the trade name of the solvent used was Varsol.

Interesting side note: The owner/operator manual for my 1941 vintage South Bend Heavy 10 lathe suggested a formula to slush the machine with for rust prevention during shipping or storage.
It was petroleum jelly (Vaseline) dissolved in Naptha.I don't know,is Vaseline hydrogenated mineral oil?

Naptha is in the general class of petroleum distillates like mineral spirits and Stoddard Solvent.

The used to use it to dry clean clothes. Dry cleaning businesses used to burn down a lot. Naptha is pretty much Coleman fuel.

I would guess Vaseline (or RIG) could be put in a petroleum distillate of your choice just to facilitate application.
But beware flammability.

Back