oiled rag ?

rebs

How do you guys make an oiled rag for wiping down your guns ? Do you feel the oiled rag is better than a silicone rag ?

You can put a little Breakfree or---- on a rag and keep it in a baggie. Works fine. The preoiled or silicon also work.

You use the same rag over and over. I use a green microfiber wash rag that I permanently marked "gun oil", so I don't throw it in the wash. Overtime, it will build up a residual that a light spray of Remoil or whatever you choose will be enough on the gun to completely wipe it down

You use the same rag over and over. I use a green microfiber wash rag that I permanently marked "gun oil", so I don't throw it in the wash. Overtime, it will build up a residual that a light spray of Remoil or whatever you choose will be enough on the gun to completely wipe it down
Definitely the best method.

I like the pre coated silicone cloths myself. Just for the convenience factor. I grew up using the oily rag method and it works just as good. Either way will protect your gun's finish.

I've tried the silicone, but it isn't messy or smelly enough.
I have this great old pajama leg from about 1963 or so and it is perfectly settled in with about 15 brands of miscellaneous oil. You can almost still make out that it was yellow. :)

If you are wiping for rust prevention,actually a spritz of WD-40 on your rag to freshen it up,then wipe a thin film of WD-40 on the gun is pretty good. Its one thing the stuff was made for.I don't spray direct on the gun.

I'm a fan of RIG. The sheepskin method described is the sort of thing associated with collectors of fine double shotguns.A chunk of good wool cloth like an old GI blanket can work.
Of course,we aren't talking about a smear of grease,but a very thin film.
FWIW the RIG stands for Rust Inhibitive Grease.

Some thin oils are volatile. They do not have staying power.Lubing and preserving are different jobs.

I..um... hate.. er... to ...um... break the news, but...um...WD-40 is NOT for rust protecction.

It's for water displacement.

Hence the "W-D" :eek::o

I'd say it pretty effective at it thought since moisture usually leads to rust. Wd40 on a rag is what gets used here.

Everyone has their own method they use, just pick one and give it a try. I myself just use an old t-shirt with some rem oil and give them a quick wipe and back in the safe they go.

Back