Oh the anticipation

What the heck is this guy’s problem? If he was a smart businessman he’d just fix your problem no questions asked. But apparently that would hurt his apparently massive ego. He made a product that isn’t working and should just fix it and be a man about it. It’s not like you are making some ridiculous request, and it would take him less time and effort to just chamfer/radius the breech than it takes to go through all this BS.

I think you're right about it being an ego problem. I asked him to just send it back and I'd cover the cost and this morning I got an eMail saying he's sending it back "and oh by the way, I slightly radiused the chamber since you asked."

If it feeds when I get it back, I'm going to consider this thread ended and I'll start a new one about how well it shoots.

BTW, this gunsmith is in Eastern Oregon and if you really want to know PM me and I'll say who it is but I don't want to go as far as spreading sour grapes on the net about him...

Tony

I guess you’ll never know if he radiused the chamber mouth before or after he made you a video.

Hopefully it works as it should when you get it back.

If it works as it should be sure to give us an update on how it shoots.

I'll post once more about the work when it comes back then I'll start a new thread about how well it shoots. I've been loading ammo and it looks like the other 2 mags I have for it both need a little work. I'd like be all ready to go shooting when I get it back...

Tony

Well at least good on him for doing what you asked, and good on you for giving him the chance to take care of this while keeping him anonymous. Hope everything works out for you.

Well it's back and he did chamfer the chamber but oh so lightly. However it was enough to make it feed properly. The .22 K-Hornet dummy rounds I sent came back and all of the are dented from rough cycling.

I'm tempted to use a felt polishing wheel on my Dremel with a little polishing compound to smooth it up a little more. I figure I can't screw it up with that slow of metal removal rate...

Anyway I expect to get it out and shooting pretty soon so hopefully my next report will be how well it groups.

Tony

I figured it wouldn’t take much. Sure can’t hurt to polish it a bit. You could even start with valve lapping compound and work up to something like Flitz.

Just want to comment that this was one of the most interesting post I've read in a while - I don't have or shoot said round - I do Reload 22TCM and loved all the comments and Pics -

Thanks for this - Great read.

I have an RIA 1911 with a 9mm and .22TCM barrel and would love to get a rifle and reload for it. A nice light bolt gun would be fun, but the ones from RIA don’t seem to get the best reviews and are hard to find. A nice CZ would fit the bill but not much chance of that. This thread does have me yearning for a .17 Hornet though which I think would be very fun. Keeping my eyes open, it will drive me nuts waiting for dies, brass, and components to show up once this crunch gets over.

That "gunsmith" either did not learn proper machining, extremely lazy, or just incompetent. One of the first lessons taught in my early metal classes was to break all the edges when machining was complete. A chamber entrance needs to have a smooth transition for the incoming cartridge. I've had to work on a few of my guns to enhance feeding. It usually doesn't take much, and frequently only at the five to seven o'clock area at the bottom.

Here's a close up of the chamber as it is now. I'm going to polish the edge a bit more and I might post another pic.

It feeds now but it still catches once in a while. The way it banged up the cases when the smith forced the bolt hard is unacceptable. This isn't a military rifle, it's a varmint/target rifle and I shouldn't have to fire form my brass back to true after every firing...

Hopefully next week I can start a new thread about how well it shoots...

Tony

Attachments

• chamfered1.jpg
    chamfered1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 22
I spent a a few minutes with polishing compound and a ball end shaped felt wheel on my dremel tool and for sure I made the chamfer ring more visible but other than getting polishing compound all over inside the rifle in spite of my best efforts not to, that's all I achieved. It's not worthy of more pix. I spent about a half hour flushing and mopping it out with Ed's Red and cotton patches and it sure looks clean now.

There's not much more to say until I can get out and shoot it.

About the TCM, that round was made with the M1911 in mind and I think there are better choices for a rifle. If I were to get another varmint rifle, I'd be looking at something in .221 Fireball or the .223 Short wildcat round...

Tony

Yeah I hear ya, the .221 or .17 fireball are also on my radar, but I’m mostly curious which would have the lower recoil and be a quieter report.

Of the calibers mentioned, I think the Hornet would be the lowest report simply because it's the lowerest pressure round. For years I heard people say the Hornet wasn't very loud. I thought they were a bubble off level until I had a chance to shoot my Hornet next to a .223 Rem. The Rem sounded at least twice as loud. The Fireball rounds run about the same pressure as the .223 so I'm not going to guess they're any quieter...

Tony

That’s pretty much what I’ve been thinking, and I’d guess recoil on the Hornet to be very small. I’ve been thinking.17, but maybe the .22 would be better for wind. I’ll have plenty of time to think about it since it will be a while until components start being available again. Although the only thing holding me back right now would be dies and brass.

If you go with the .17 Hornet, the loaded ammo is still available. Loaded rounds aren't that much more expensive than new empty brass or at least it was when I got mine. My .17 Hornet is a custom H&R single shot.

They used to be easy to do before H&R closed down. You'd take a .17 rim-fire barrel fit it to a center-fire frame and have the chamber cut to .17 Hornet. The gunsmith that did this .22k-Hornet did the work for me and is the reason I sent this rifle to him. I was happy with the work he did on the .17.... Who knows, maybe next week I'll be happy again after shooting the Ruger with the new barrel.

My .22 K-Hornet had a sporter weight barrel on it the last time I shot it and the recoil was more than 0 but still hardly noticeable but maybe tiny be more than a .22 rim-fire magnum. Now with a varmint weight barrel it'll be even less...

The Hornet rounds give a lot of reloads for a pound of powder but then again so does the .221 Fireball. At my age, I don't know if I'd shoot one more rifle more than all the others I have that don't get enough attention already or a Fireball would be on my get list...

Tony

Back