Oh my gosh 870s can take abuse!

Chang, Correia, Dave McC,

Thanks so much!

It's a nice 870 wingmaster with beautiful bluing, but it's my mothers shotgun. She bought it when I was a kid to have us carry it around the "farm" near Homer, which is to this day mostly bushes and trees. There are black and grizzly bears in the area and we have seen many tracks an scat over the years but (fingers crossed) never a breathing bear. With slugs it was our bear gun. I doubt in the 15+ years since then it has ever been disassembled. I doubt it because I was even as a kid in charge of doing that kind of stuff and I didn't know how to do it. I don't know if it was bought used or new, I suspect used. I cleaned the bore after shooting and what I could reach in the chamber, because I loved guns even then. It's been seldome fired but carried in the rain and muck more than a few times. I did find a little easily visible rust where the barrel joins the reciever and on the top side of the mag tube as I couldn't clean it there before. The inside of the mag tube had a little too.

Looks nice and I thank you all for your help :)

Does anyone know why the mag spring has that inside metal cup that goes on top of the spring but under the cap? On this one it has to be pried out and smacked lightly back in. I guess it is to keep the spring from launching across the room as the cap comes off. Is it neccisary? I think the mag tube cap is aftermarket too as it has a swivel stud on it and the sling has Uncle Mike QD type mounts.

Thanks again all.

Shiro in AK

It's not necessary,Shiro. Cramming that spring back in and screwing on the mag cap is a minor PITA,but that donut retainer is also a PITA when one wishes to clean the mag tube, which should be done periodically.

And, that mag Cap would be aftermarket. No problem, got a couple of them here....

Shiro, the magazine tube piece under the magazine cap... on my 870 Exp Super Mag, it has a slot in it. Put a screw driver in there, push the thing down about an inch and a half, and turn it 90-degrees and let it up slowly and take it out with your hand (the spring will push it out too).

Maybe its different with the older models.

thanks again!

I didn't think that spring lock think was neccisary but I'll leave it in there anyway. I was originally taking it apart because I was thinking of refinishing the stock which has some dings in it due to being smacked against trees while hiking I suspect. I noticed the rubber butt pad (nice) seems to have no screw holes, I think its glued on so I'm not taking the stock off after all. My mother was thinking of selling it I wonder how much they are worth?

I also thought about getting a mag extension.. he he if I keep it for myself. I see a distributer with the TAC STAR brand ones for $20, which seems like a good deal. I wish we'd had those extra rounds when I was worried about bears.

Shiro, if you look carefully at the recoil pad,you'll see two tiny little holes where the screw heads are. Introduce a Phillips head screwdriver in there and unscrew by feel, it's not difficult at all.

Sometimes they ARE glued, but 90% aren't. An enquiry down at the Smithy Forum should give you plenty of input about how to refinish a stock....

I saw those two holes but I didn't think they were fro screws they are almost pin sized. I'll try that out this weekend and see if the sucker comes off. Thanks Dave McC again! :)

shiro

Back