Off to Alpine, Texas - Audad Hunting!

I did shoot one javelin.

Saw many, many more. The darn things are just too funny! It was pretty easy to get right in the middle of a pack of them, they don't see well at all!

When you get in the middle of them, one will smell you, bark like a dog, stand it's hair straight up, jump all fours 6" off the ground and run off 30 or 40 yards! Hilarious, actually!

Their antics were so amusing that we didn't shoot anymore, just took pictures of them acting goofy!

Strange animals, to say the least!

Their antics are funny until they charge. I've had to kill three over the years with the intent to eat my leg off. Be careful with them, they are unpredictable and can inflict nasty wounds. When I was 13 I was dropped off at a tank dam on my in uncles property in mcamey tx. I had two come up to the dam and when they smelled me they charged me. I climbed a small mesquite and shot them from the tree. They weren't going to leave. They were actually on their hind legs standing against the tree. Scared the crap out of me. I was only 2 ft above them lol.

I've only taken one aoudad, a ewe a bunch of years back on an exotic ranch over near Kerrville during a management hunt.
I didn't know much about how to cook 'em, so I tried several ways... my favorite was "swiss" style, with a tomato based sauce. Simmering the cutlets in the sauce made them very tender, and quite tasty.

I am back from my Texas Aoudad journey!

The hunting was very, very tough. Not many animals, and even fewer rams

I am heading to Alpine in less then 3 weeks to hunt aoudad. Did you hunt with a guide? Not encouraging that you only saw a few rams. I don't need a trophy but I would at least like to know there some around.

What was the weather like. I will be better than Minnesota, which is where I am now, but how much better is the question.

In your photos you are wearing jeans. Was that enough protection from thorns? I have chaps I wear pheasant hunting. I was thinking about bringing them.

chaska said:
I am heading to Alpine in less then 3 weeks to hunt aoudad. Did you hunt with a guide? Not encouraging that you only saw a few rams. I don't need a trophy but I would at least like to know there some around.

What was the weather like. I will be better than Minnesota, which is where I am now, but how much better is the question.

In your photos you are wearing jeans. Was that enough protection from thorns? I have chaps I wear pheasant hunting. I was thinking about bringing them.

We did hunt with an outfitter. Y-Barr-A Outfitters. Nice guys. I don't think you could hunt these things without an outfitter. All the property in West Texas is privately owned with hunting leases. You need to hunt with someone who has lease on a ranch or two. There is almost zero public land!

The weather was in the upper 40's and lower 50's. A bit windy, but real nice.

Jeans were OK, but your chaps will help. I took my long shirt off one day, the cat claw thorns tore my arms up. Our guide wore jeans.

I hope you have a good trip and see some big sheep!

I don't think you could hunt these things without an outfitter.
We will be using a different outfitter, and probably hunting different ranches. I will throw the chaps in the gear bag. Thanks for the help, I will report back how it goes.

Absolutely the only thing to wear that I ever found would save my arms from catclaw is the old Army field-jacket, the ones made of heavy nylon, from way back when. Brand-new Levis are resistant.

Catclaw acacia is evil stuff.

Back