Off Limit Game

I won't hunt wolves or any other dog relative

and wolves are a big issue now in Sweden and I do support the legal hunt of them but don't want to do it myself, some might say it is hypocritical but I don't care, and in a self defense or in defense of my dogs I would of course

I love bears to but I hunt them

not that it is realistic but I won't hunt elephant or whales either, too much consciousness IMO

and not chips, gorillas and orangutangs either, now a baboon i'd hunt they look like *******s

big cats I'd love to hunt, not the endangered ones naturally

Young/small animals. I've seen countless deer shot where a person had two antlerless deer tags so they would shoot a doe and this seasons fawn.

I see no problem with this: a lone fawn is coyote food in a short while, anyway. Better that someone eat it than the coyotes .....

The game department issued the antlerless tags because they wanted the population reduced: if they did not, they would not issue the tags.

Any game animal that I feel a threatened by I'd do what is necessary to protect myself or my family, so I can't say "never". I'd prefer never to have to kill bears though, I just love watching them when the opportunity presents itself. I see them most years while deer hunting and while tags are over the counter for the area I hunt I just don't feel the need to hunt them. Friends who do hunt them hate me when I tell the stories of seeing them too!

Red Fox are off limits for me....too damn pretty and not delicious enough:p

Besides, wife and kids would kill me. Our favorite walk passes several dens; kids love "to go look for the fox".

Some things are better enjoyed in the woods then on the wall of your den.

Probably porcupines. I know they are destructive, but they are slow and dumb and just do not know any better. I have had them chew on boots left on the porch, axe handles, canoe paddles and just about anything that you sweated on around camp.

I see no problem with this: a lone fawn is coyote food in a short while, anyway. Better that someone eat it than the coyotes .....

The game department issued the antlerless tags because they wanted the population reduced: if they did not, they would not issue the tags.

jimbob86,

When you see a 50 pound fawn on a buck pole you might disagree. Usually shot in the face.

There are some, I would not hunt !!!

Many years ago when I started out this "Great-Adventure" called hunting, I thought it would really be a challenge to go to Africa and hunt the Big-Five. I think it's five. Later when I really thought about it, it didn't make much sense to "me". I don't eat cats so that cuts out two of then. I think it I shot a Rhino or Elephant, the skies would open up and I'd get struck down by a bolt of lightning. So that only leaves a Cape Buffalo and I'd be fine with that. Just have to make sure of a clean kill or I might not make it back home. ... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Years ago I wouldn't have any interest in hunting big cats but the liberals pushed through California type hunting rules with no baiting or hunting with dogs.

Now they're over populated and the state has had to hire professional hunters to thin them out. Guess what, the pro hunter can use dogs and bait...

It's almost monthly that I hear of some school on lock down because of a cougar sighting... Now I consider cougar a shoot on sight animal.

Tony

jimbob86,

When you see a 50 pound fawn on a buck pole you might disagree.

Not likely. I'm not one to let anthropomorphism or misguided emotion outweigh reason.

Reason rules.

Usually shot in the face.

I'm of two minds on this: On the one hand, I'm not a fan of the headshot, as the target is tiny, tends to be moving at random times, and is surrounded in bone that is sloped at shallow angles over agood portion of it ....... so the margin of error is very slim, and if you jack it up even a little bit, you are likely to lose the animal ...... OTH, if done right, no meat is wasted at all.

No snappers here but from what I've heard they're a lot of trouble for a little meat. I'd pass unless one was a pest on my land.
I had an Alligator Snapper that lived in my backyard in Florida (estimated to be 35-50 years old). He was stolen (there's a healthy black market :rolleyes:), and replaced with a regular old snapping turtle.

I don't have to worry about it in Idaho; but even if I still lived in Florida, I'd leave them alone. Trapping and relocating works well enough most of the time. (And for the Alligator Snappers, you can almost always talk to a zoo that will take them if they can get a permit.)
And if relocation didn't work, I'd see about eliminating their food source to drive them out.

When you see a 50 pound fawn on a buck pole you might disagree. Usually shot in the face.
Sounds like the perfect shot, to me.
It's the only "good" place to shoot a fawn.... ;)

Where and what I hunt... a lone fawn is a dead fawn. Whether a hunter shoots it, a coyote kills it, or it can't feed itself... it's dead.
Why not fill a tag and make it a quick death?

I really don't think there is one I couldn't shoot. there are several that I have no desire to hunt however. wolves are too elusive for my liking, they are everywhere out here but they are so nocturnal that I really couldn't hunt for them short of night vision scope and suppressor(neither of which I currently own). same with cougars. I wouldn't be eating the meat and I primarily hunt for meat purposes so it's not worth it for me to hunt them. however I buy the idaho sportmans package every year because it includes hunting and fishing license, muzzle loader permit, salmon permit, steelhead permit, deer, elk, blackbear, cougar, and wolf tags so since I already have the tags I'll shoot them if I ever see them but I'm not going to go out of my way to find them. I hunt grouse regularly but there's such little waterfowl hunting area around that I don't hunt for them, I got my waterfowl stamp last year and never even used it.

If its legal to shoot, its going to die. its either food, or one less pest. I have had to get creative with water fowl, but it gets eaten to.

Out where I work, even stray dogs are fare game, cats on the other hand get left alone. They eat rabbits and mice. If we had a population explosion of them, they would get thinned out, but never eradicated. And I hate cats as pets, but they are good tools.

Out where I work, even stray dogs are fare game, cats on the other hand get left alone. They eat rabbits and mice.

Feral cats eat quail and pheasants ...... which are hard enough to come by these days ......I don't even hunt pheasants anymore- don't see enough of them as it is ..... stray cats, OTH ..... lotsa them ......

The Audubon Society estimates feral cats kill more than 2.4 BILLION wild birds every year in the US. Kill every one you see.

I used to live in a large city. A river ran through it. Along the river there were many miles of nature trails. Actually it was a nice place to explore.

I would go explore that area with my dog. When we first began going there there were cats everywhere, bit not much else as far as wildlife went.

One Spring coyotes started to move into the area. Two things happened.

The cat population went down and the bird population went up. Even quail covies were becoming common.

I spoke to a park ranger about this. He did say that the coyotes did away with the cats and that helped the wildlife return. I don't about you, but I find more pleasure in hearing songbirds and seeing covies of quail scurrying around then hearing feral cat mating calls or seeing the remains of their kills.

We don't have what you would consider quality bird habitat, around us so the cat and bird interactions are not much of a concern.

Fox and wolves are about the only thing I wouldn't shoot either to eat or to get rid of a pest.

Brother Fox is my spirit animal, and Father Wolf is the noble king of the wilderness IMHO.

YMMV.

Back