Off Duty Obligations of LEOs

When I was living and working in NYC, around the same time as they enacted the peace officer bill up there, my friends and colleagues on NYPD told us the best thing to do while off duty was to just "drop a dime".
This way there would be no question about having to end up in hot water over whether or not your actions fell within the scope of either the local law or your own agency guidelines. That never sat well with me, then or now.

Here in FL, federal agents (Special Agents etc.) are also covered under such state peace officer provisions which are supposed to provide a certain amount of indemnification.

"Agency" policy is not to take direct action unless it is a felony being enacted in your presence; or in the aftermath of a violent (or potentially violent) crime in which serious injury/death has occurred or may be imminent.

It used to be that the United States Attorney's office would represent those who would take action. Now they are just as likely to prosecute. Also, agencies being what they are these days are less likely to "stand up" for their personnel who take a stand.

As for me, I just leave it to my personal values and the action I feel is appropriate in the moment. I'd rather do what I feel is right and deal with the paper pushers after the fact. (Realizing that to do so puts one at risk.)

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

KSLawman,
You mentioned your "right" to be armed. I agree with that for a dozen or so reasons ;).

You mentioned your "obligation" to be armed. Frankly, I had never considered that before. Good point!

The point I always have thought of was your NEED to be armed.

1) You've probably dealt with some very nasty people and made some VERY dangerous enemies. Therefore, to require a cop to be UNarmed is unrealistic, unfair, and immoral! You may have the sudden need to protect yourself, your family, and/or anyone with you at any given moment.

2) I've always felt that when a cop goes off his property, on or off duty, he is a cop. You will be evaluated as a cop by everyone whether you're on duty or not. (Get drunk in public ONE time and you will be pegged as a "drunk cop" forever.) Therefore, before I came to TFL, I never even considered that a cop might be UNarmed.

3) And, for the record, I feel retired or former police officers should be permitted (perhaps not "required") to carry so long as they can "qualify" on the range and are not DISqualified for physical/mental/moral reasons. (grin) Yes, Rob, in all fifty states and DC. (ESPECIALLY in D.C.!)

Novel thought, having retired officers qualify regularly. You can't even get all of the regular officers to qualify regularly. Some senior staff feel they have an "exemption."

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.
Sgt., Kings Co. Sheriff - Ret.

Back