Off center primer strikes

High primer is simply a possibility. Something that can happen in the loading process that would effectively lengthen the cartridge in relation to the guns headspace length.
It would be easy to check and remedy.
Its not a diagnosis. Check it, eliminate it move on.
The question was "What causes off center firing pin strikes?

The answer is almost certainly the gun is not fully in battery.

What can cause that?

If its crud someplace,clean it out.

If it needs lube,lube it.

If the ammo is effectively too long,figure out where and make it SAAMI length.

If the ammo diameter is too large,figure out where and reduce it.

Look at the locking lug surfaces.The corners. Are they battered?

Long ago, first 1911,I screwed up. I skipped the "case belling" step. I scraped bullet copper forward wih the case mouth on copper plated bullets.The copper on the case mouth was preventing full battery lock up.It only takes a few rounds and damage is done.

I scrapped my Clark barrel. The partially engaged lugs set back.Metal is battered.

There is a "Timing "procedure to make sure there is adequate barrel to slide clearance to ensure the lugs don't clash during the dynamics of firing.

Thats all 1911 stuff. The OP does not have a 1911. I don't know his Walther.

My poor handloading technique created a condition that made my ammo a bit "long" relative to headspace.

Firing "not quite in battery" ruined the barrel.

Yes,the firing pin indents were not quite centered.

Thats just a clue that the gun is not in full battery at firing.

Root cause was simple. Problems were more complex.

Guys, sorry for the confusion re: .380 auto and 9mm with regard to Lee dies. I had mentioned in the midst o the 9mm discussion that I most often have failure to go to battery with the .380 Auto, and suspecting the crimp may be the issue I decided to get a Lee undersized die in .380 Auto as well as the in the 9mm.

Re: price, certainly $29 for a single die is a big jump from when 3-die sets were the same price. I deferred buying from Lee due to the high shipping cost, but I also recognize they are very clear about prices being lower at Lee distributors vs buying direct due to their policy of not competing with their distributors.

Not fully locking up. Re, my old illustration, getting the case head flush with the back end of the barrel is only applicable to cast bullets to reduce fouling and improve accuracy. The technique does not make a difference with jacketed bullets, which are strong enough to steer correctly into the throat without shaving or distortion. For the XTPs, use Hornady's recommended COL. For cast bullets, the shape of your particular gun's chamber or its feed ramp or magazine follower or lips may be making it difficult to feed a COL set to headspace on the bullet. Try setting them an extra 0.01 deeper than you have been and see if that helps.

Back