Odd ?

I bet most Navy Seals figure out the old technology sig controls easily enough.

But what do I know some of my plastic pistols have a manual safety....tough.

One thing to remember when considering that question is that for a SEAL the handgun is a secondary weapon. His primary weapon will be some type of long gun.

Winner winner chicken dinner....

When I asked my brother the former Marine who saw combat in Iraq what he thought of the M9 he said I don't really think about it much at all. If I have to go to it to save my life a whole lot of SH*T has gone wrong. If well all do our jobs right it is never going to come out of its holster.

I'd recommend reading the book "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen to get some idea into gear and weapons used by SEALS. Owen is the pen name for Matt Bissonnette, who participated in the raid that killed OBL. Only a relatively small part of the book actually deals with the raid, with a large portion detailing some of the training and equipment they use. I'm sure many things were left out, or possibly even some mis-information was included but a good book none the less.

He points out that the SEALS can basically use ANY gun they choose to use. They have the freedom to choose what they feel is best for the mission. Same with clothing and other gear. They use a lot of non standard civilian gear because it is better. Some guns, such as the 226 are issued, but he had others to choose from. If there is something non issue that he wanted, he could request it. Even have military gunsmiths customize it.

Each team member has their own walk in storage locker filled with their own individual weapons and other gear. They pick and choose depending on the mission. Bissonnette was also on the team that freed Captian Phillips from the Somali pirates. The gear and weapons chosen for that mission were far different than what he chose to use on missions in Iraq and Afghanastan.

Many, maybe even most choose not to carry a handgun. I've read from several sources that most would readily choose 1-2 more magazines for their long guns over the extra weight of a handgun.

If we look hard, we'd find that the decision to go with SIG P226 had less to do with armor and ballistics than with the politics of military procurement. Follow the money. Follow the votes.

If the number of controls on the same side of the pistol are a problem for you, you certainly should not consider the P226.

Personally, I'm pretty confident and comfortable that the Seals can operate the weapon with no difficulty at all, in fact with more than a level of "competence".

Also, I thank them for their service.

Why do the navy Seals use the sig p226 in 9mm

Do they? Is Sig p226 what they use exclusively? Is this true, or has anyone actually confirmed this? I have no idea - I'm not a Navy Seal and I don't know anyone who is.

But, even if the Navy Seals use a Sig p226 in 9mm, what difference does it make? They don't make the decision on what guns they are going to use - some bureaucrat dictates what equipment they are to use. It's not like our government bureaucrats spare no expense picking the right tools for the job based on a vote of what men in the field want.

On the other hand, we are free men (and women). Unlike Navy Seals, we get to choose what gun or guns we want to own and use (for now, anyway). Because we are free! We can choose to own guns far nicer than what some bureaucrat dictates. Buy the best gun you can for your intended purpose and the Navy Seals will envy you for not having to carry some odd duck that some bureaucrat told them they have to carry.

You can still envy their training; but I doubt they get to go into the World's Gun Store and choose their own equipment.

More "elite" units around the world seem to use Sigs and 1911's more so than the perfection of Glock. SEALs do have a .45 option they recently ditched the MK23 for the HK45c Tactical. I am sure different groups and guys can select different guns but the 226 was the standard issue supposedly. A lot of Federal agencies use Sig, even ditched Glock to go with Sig.

I like Glocks but I do not think they are the end all be all, and generally the military requires a manual safety.

I love the 1911 platform and even though people call it old and outdated, it didn't stop MARSOC from adopting the new Colt 1911 designed for them, FBI HRT, Special Forces, LAPD SWAT all from using a 1911. I would guess these guys all shoot and train more than your standard beat cop carrying a Glock.

I own a Glock and used to own two others, I am not ragging on them... but they are just one choice out of many.

I work with two former Green Berets who both carried 1911's. Both of them stated if you draw a handgun to save your life, a whole bunch of other things went wrong.

I have a very good friend in the gun industry. He makes gun parts alot of the Special Ops guys are using, and, he hangs out with them to get feedback.

A few interesting things we have talked about. In the current campaigns in the middle east, handguns are being used considerably more than in most other conflicts. Lots of door to door fighting, room clearing etc. In some ways, they are performing some "police" type functions.

The old doctrine of shooting double taps is out. Multiple rounds per center mass, like 5 rounds per target.

A 9mm recoils less, shoots faster and carries more rounds. A 9mm is perfectly acceptable and, apparently in thier way of thinking, as effective, or at least close to .40 or .45.

Specifically the Sig P226. Its a tough accurate gun with a good track record. You may find a gun that does one thing better, or worse, but, as a whole, what more do you need from a handgun?

Alot of individuals also like the Glock 19. The big selling point of the Glock is that its as fully enclosed as a handgun can be. Less places for sand and dirt to get into the gun.

I think alot of us overthink the mindset of the guys using the equipment. Many of them are not really gun guys. Its just a tool. If the P226 is reliable and accurate, thats it. They will adapt to the tools they are provided. Based on thier skill and determination, they, and the weapon they are issued, will be exceptionally formidable. But, the actual weapon is an almost trivial part of the equation.

Back