Odd (to me) survival question regarding gun choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't comment on firearm choice as I have no knowledge or real-world experience from which to form an opinion.

What I would recommend is having everyone who's going to carry a firearm attend some sort of training program that deals with the cleaning and maintenance of the chosen gun, as well as engaging in stress-fire drills.

I wouldn't bet against Elmer Keith stopping a polar bear by shooting it through the mouth, I would bet that I couldn't do it.

His friend WILL NOT be "walking around the wilds of Alaska." He'll be doing assorted construction tasks on site......

And that is the reason I interjected moose into the conversation. They CAN AND WILL be hanging around his construction site.... bears too, but moose will be more common.

Not only "the wilds", more people have been attacked in their yards, bike trails, city parks, etc then the "wilds".

I spent many of time setting at a school bus stop guarding kids waiting for a bus, do to a moose or bear being in the area.

In the "wilds" the animals will hear you long before you hear or spot them and more then likely, they will leave.

But in urban areas, back yards, "construction sites" there is constant noise which they seem to ignore.

As you mentioned, your hands will be busy, carrying what ever you carry in your daily lives, including tools, making a long gun totally impractical.

SD against dangerous animals is not a whole lot different the SD against two legged bandits. You can walk around in your daily lives with your gun in your hand, but you can carry it in a manner where its instantly available if needed.

As an example, in this picture, I wasn't hunting moose, I was sorting out a weather related traffic problem. This guy (who was causing the problem) decided to charge my police car. I was able to instantly draw my service revolver and stop him.

IMG_NEW.jpg

In urban areas of Alaska, moose vehicle encounters are quite common. The vehicles will most likely be disabled. The moose will be injured and MAD. The worse case is when the vehicle hits a calf, his momma isn't going to be happy. One should stay in there vehicle if possible, because if you get out to examine the damage, you most likely will have to do with an irate mother.

Last edited:
Does limp wristing a Glock 10mm result in a jammed firearm? When I learned to shoot hanguns the grip that worked best for me was a gentle hold on the pistol and squeeze the trigger. That worked really well for the Ruger Standard and revolvers. But put a 45 ACP in my hands and limp wristing becomes a curse. So, if the OP's friend is accustomed to the rigid grip required to successfully fire a magazine of 10 mm, all is well. Otherwise, a wheelie seems more appropriate to me.

One might also ask themselves whether a G20 or 629 is more easily and safely manipulated with heavy gloves on.

I think the Glock 20 isn't a bad choice with proper loads. They are reliable and easy to shoot. I hope someone there knows how to disassemble and re-assemble one. Fairly easy but you have to pay attention.

If I were part of the crew going, I would take something I already own and that would likely be a S&W M57 Mountain Gun (41 mag) with hard cast bullets and regular loads for odds and ends. I would hope that there might be a few large caliber rifles at the camp.

I doubt they will need anything for self protection from bears, but it can happen. But it really depends on just where they are going and the bears that populate that area.

chuckscap said:
A 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 10mm Glock all beat the hell out of playing dead

I pity the fool that carries a 357 Sig, 41 Mag, 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 500 S&W, etc, etc, and does not know that he should be playing dead.

And I pity the unarmed fool that is trying to "play" dead while a bear is mauling him and not daring to holler "ouch" with every bite.

I never should have replied to this thread. It reminds me how much I hate bear threads. Some years ago I pledged to never get involved with another bear thread. Weakness led me here. If I was in Promise Keepers they'd kick me out.

tipoc

This one is done.

If the OP doesn't have the answer he was looking for by now, he won't get it with the way this thread is turning out.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back