Odd ball Enfield

Bama Shooter, I thought it would kick like a mule, be loud, and emit a large fireball but I got none of that when I fired it. Although I shot it around 2pm in the afternoon on a sunny day. I've seen pictures of Mosins and they have a pretty good fireball but this one didn't. I was shooting MilSurp ammo (1964) so who knows.

I dont know anything about it. But, I have the same rifle. Only diference is that mine has had the wood removed from the top of the barrel and stained to a redish hue.

globemaster3, Tikirocker just said that it was a "Mutt" and to re-barrel it and put on new furniture and then it might be worth something. Here's his qoute "The rifle is not original or a legit Lee Enfield item, rather these rifles were cut down post war and sold by certain companies in the U.S and retailed as novelties with names like "Tankers" and "Tanker Cabines" etc. These never existed, were never issued by any Commonwealth nation who used the No4 and are a complete fiction.

If you ever get a hankering to restore it, replace the shortened barrel and fit a replacement fore-end and hand guards - I wager you'd add more value to it than what it is worth in its current form."

Cheers, Tiki.

\I guess he didn't like it. I think it has a bit of "cool" Factor and I'm leaving it like it is.

By the way, the brass disc has nothing on it.

Thanks for posting Tiki's response. Your rifle had really intrigued me. Too bad it was not an arsenal job... Or that they officially existed in that variety.

Remember seeing these about 10 years ago at the shows for $79.Trying to sell all of the .303"s that had came in ,they bobbed just about all models to make"Jungle Carbines". Mine was Century marked,but i don't know if they did the work,or it was jobbed out further down the line.Made a great little pick up truck gun,once i got the sights zeroed.

The Jungle carbines were pretty specific though...not just any ol Enfield cut down any way.

No. 5
British-Lee-Enfield-No5-MkI-Jungle-Carbine-tilt-S-1024x177.png

Then there where these little mutts...I had one in 7.62nato made by GRC
Gibbs+308+Jungle+carbine.JPG

DAVE That is a very cool little rifle though. I'd love to have one of those and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I really like it and it's fairly pleasant to shoot. I figure it's a good truck gun at the least, and I'll see what it does on a deer next season. But like I said in another post "Range Report" I can keep all the rounds in a 6" circle at 75 yards with MilSurp ammo, if I do my part (B.R.A.S.S.). Figure this wasn't meant to be a sub-moa gun. If I use a good quality hunting round it should tighten up a bit.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510776

Back