OC Spray on Dogs/coyotes

OneInTheChamber

Hey guys, especially LEO's, I have a ? for you.

1. What is the most effective form of pepper/mace/OC spray.

2. What brand/canister has the most effective range.

It's for my mom who walks our small beagle in a rural area; with some loose dogs and lots of coyotes.

Thanks

i will have to call and get the make but as an odd christmas gift I got my mom a canister. It is a mix of pepper spray, tear gas and uv dye that is dtectable under a light so the assailant is invisibly marked, it has a listed 20 foot range though i think it is most effective in shorter distances. i cant get mom to carry a gun so that was the next best thing to hopefully give us both a little better piece of mind.

Having hosed dogs with about a half dozen brands of pepper spray, all including the top gun of them all- Vexor V7- are very marginal at best.
Rangewise the Mk IV canisters are about the best.
However, for your purpose you might look into getting the big bear defense canisters.
My recommendation for dogs........22 shorts or CB caps slipped between the ribs.

A lot of the brands will work on dogs, but the problem is delivery. Hitting a dog square in the face on a darting, dodging dog with a stream or narrow spray designed for humans is difficult.

This is going to sound funny, but I recommend a bear cannister. Pretty hard to miss with one of those and those contain some HOT stuff :eek: ! They run about fifty bucks and are a little bulky, but they work. You can find them in a lot of backpacking & hunting supplies stores.

I used to carry "Freeze +P", and now carry "Sabre", both issued to me by my department. The Freeze worked the best by far on people. Unfortunately, neither have worked well on the canine types. A good squirt in the face doesn't get much reaction. It's obvious they don't really like it, but it's nothing like what it does to a person. A dog will more than likely still be able to see just fine and bite you if he really wants to despite a direct hit.

HF

I've had good luck with sabre red worked great on two pit bulls that was fighting. It broke them right up. They make sabre that foams up when you spray it always wanted to try that on dogs . I think it would work good spraying them in the mouth let then chew on that if they want.

+1 to stevelyns comments...
dont expect whatever spray is purchased to always dissuade an attacking animal. like some people, the sprays are simply not effective or not effective enough on all four legged critters.

that being said, i'm not discouraging spray, i think its a viable option, but other options should also be on hand should the spray not work. like a baton or sturdy walking stick.

Effective Dog Spray

This is going to sound like a goofy product. Believe me, I was skeptical too until I had to use it. It really worked.

The product is called DIRECTSTOP.

It comes in a pepper spray type of cannister. However, it is not any type of chemical or pepper. It is citronella spray. The same stuff that anti bug candles are made of. It has the same strange citrus smell.

Dogs can not stand the smell of this stuff. it does not burn or irritate. But I have sprayed dogs with it. They all took off as though they were scalded with boiling water.

I put a tiny drop on a Q-Tip. I put near my dog's nose. She was completely repulsed by it.As soon as I held the swab up, her head would turn down and away from it.

One other thing. There are some dogs that are so aggressive that no chemical type spray will repel them. Physcial restraint or a bullet are the only options with those few, but very dangerous dogs.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to get her some bear spray and an extendable baton. I'd really like her to carry my Walther P22 when walking the beagle; but I don't trust her, even in a rural environment, to make sure her backstop is safe (two other houses near us on her walking route).

Capt.'s reply of bear spray is appropriate: My neighbor is getting two American Mastiffs (200+ pounds).

I'm trying to convince her to mainly walk in the front yard (2.5 acres of completely fenced area) and maybe in the back (2.5 acres of unfenced, but away from the neighbors and blocked from view by the house).

How about stun guns, would that be effective and easy to deploy? And tasers?

Thanks,

Chase

How about stun guns, would that be effective and easy to deploy? And tasers?

Thanks,

Chase

Good question, one I had never thought about. How would a stun-gun or
taser affect a dog? Anybody have experience with that?

Walter

OneInTheChamber

My neighbor is getting two American Mastiffs (200+ pounds
Mine is a registered English Mastiff & she weighs in at 206 pounds. There actually is no such breed as an American Mastiff. I know, there are a number of disreputable breeders that list theirs as such, but the truth is, they are a crossbreed and have a bad reputation for being highly aggressive. You could have a real problem there OITC.

You must'a had the selector switch on that mouse on full auto ;) .

I have shot two dogs with a taser. The first one was a pit that took both probes from about 5 feet. As soon as he got zapped he started rolling like an alligator, broke both wires and ran like hell. The second one got hit with one probe and it had no effect. He ended up getting a load of 00 buck about 2 seconds later from another copper.

The probes on a Taser come out so the top one hits point of aim and the bottom one goes out on a downward angle of 7 degrees so that there is the desired seperation of the probes. The further apart they are the more effective the taser is. Here is a rough chart of how far the probes seperate with distance:

Distance to Target 2 ft 5 ft 7 ft 10 ft 15 ft 21 ft
Spread 3" 8" 12" 17" 25" 35"

The problem with shooting dogs with the taser is that the bottom probe will miss even a large dog if you are any distance away. You could try to hold it gangsta style so the bottom probe goes to the side, but I can't imagine it working too well. I guess that it might be effective using for a touch stun

they are a crossbreed and have a bad reputation for being highly aggressive. You could have a real problem there

So basically we're screwed if they get out.... I don't think they will and the neighbor wants us to get aquainted with the dog as a puppy. Its really for coyotes mostly. They can get pretty aggressive with people and their animals out here.

Chase

So basically we're screwed if they get out....
Not necessarily. I didn't mean to come across as them being snarling vicious brutes. I believe that upbringing is a big part of the problem with vicious dogs. I've seen mean Labs and I've seen pussycat Pit Bulls, but the so-called American Mastiff does have a reputation.

It sounds like your neighbors are starting out right; socializing the big guys early is a must. If they grow up thinking you and your mother are part of the pack, the potential for problems is much less.

Taser makes a Red Taser that's designed exclusively for animals. A video on their web site shows one knocking down a 2000 pound bull the way Mike Tyson would Pee Wee Herman, but along with the problems Steve mentioned, they run over a thousand bucks! :eek:

I wonder if one of those cattle prods might work.
They are about 3 feet long to give you a little reach.
they must have a little power, being for use on cattle and all.
About 20 bucks at fleet farm.
Maybe i'll pick one up and give it a try. Hopefully my Lab doen't mind playing Ginuea pig for a little while.

I know that merely the sound of a stungun will send my dogs running, and has repelled other dogs on one occasion. Unfortunately, you would have to be close enough to physically jab a dog with one.

Fox has always worked well for me. A lady friend of ours carried a "walking stick" but a strange dog - fortunately a playful pup, just grabbed her stick to play "fetch" and she had no weapon.

The fox spray works out to a reasonable distance and I've used it several times. Actually, I'm less worried about my dogs than the intruder since my dogs are in the 200# class but I wouldn't want them getting bit by a strange dog with unknown immunization history.

I've raised English Mastiffs for over 20 years and have shown several to obedience titles. There certainly are charlatans out there selling phony breeds (one woman claimed to have "rare woolie Mastiffs" - long hair being a disqualifying characteristic - I didn't have the heart to tell her she'd been scammed) as was pointed out but all the English Mastiffs I've owned were intelligent and very trainable. I"ve retired from showing but here are our current pair - brindle girl and fawn male - at 11 weeks old and 30#.

P9110028AB.jpg
[/IMG]

And here they are at 18 months - communicating.:)

CHARLEYSOFA.jpg
[/IMG]

Fox OC spray can be bought on line Google it.

:) :D

Very nice dogs, OJ! Your fawn Mastiff could be a twin to mine, especially with that muzzle. +1 on the smart, but mine can have a mind of her own sometimes. They're definitely king of the couch potatoes though :D .

Charlie,

My Charley thanks you. He helps me watch the TV.

DOGHISMAN.jpg
[/IMG]

Whereas, his "little" sister whose registered name is "In Charge" really has a mind of her own.

Obviously, she is saying, "Have you never seen a Mastiff sit before?"

CHAIRKATIE.jpg
[/IMG]

Happy New Year all!!!

;) :D :D

Back