OC, Pepper spray -- do you carry/use it?

I'm a LEO and a Chemecal Weapons Instructor, every thing you have heard is right. Capsicum is 1000% better than Mace(CN), for incapacitation CS works Best. But it takes several seconds to work in spray form. I've been sprayed with all of them and used all of them.
Mace score is 1 for 2, and I got an injured left knee.
Capsicum is 1 for 1, Crazy guy out looking for Druids and Satanist (Honest). he took two steps away and dropped. was incapacitated about 25 minutes.
CS Score 3 for 3. 2 fighting drunks and a enraged Ex-husband that wanted a piece of his Ex-brother in law. he never tryed to hurt me but I couldn't hold him.
My personal experiance:
Mace (CN) Just makes me mad, hurt just bad enough to make me want to really hurt the sprayer. Eyes water but I can still see and want to fight even if I didn't before I was sprayed.
Capsicum Almost instantly skin is on fire. It's hard to see, but you can fight and shoot if you have to. You get a burst of strength, after a minute or so you want the burn to stop.
CS For a second or two you wonder why you were sprayed with, then it starts to feel like billions of little needles in your skin, then you can't see, and then you can't breath. If you can't breath, you can't fight.

The differant percent levels of Capsicum does make a differance, not in knock down but in how long the effects last. 2% about 15 minutes, 5% about 30 minutes 10% about 45 to 55 minutes. Also the fairer your skin the longer the effects last.

I carry OC but haven't used it. Also keep it velcroed here and there around the house and vehicles. (NO, I am not paranoid) However, I treat people regularly who are sprayed. There's a state prison about 3 miles from my emergency department. Often it is the officers who I treat after the inmates grab the OC.
People's reactions vary. There is an asthmatic inmate at this prison who would die from it. We've told the administration that OC with this inmate is lethal force...hell, hair spray would be lethal force with the guy.

When I was in basic we went into the CS room, took off our gas masks and said name, rank, and serial number. If they hadn't carried me out I'd still be trying to say the first syllable of my first name. Some guys calmly went through the drill and sauntered out. I took a deep breath before removing my mask, didn't breath any of the gas and still couldn't get out a single syllable. I think I could have fought though especially if someone closed with me.

George: I carry Punch II on occasion, but have never used it. The Punch II is available from Shomer Tec, as Dennis mentions above. It contains 5% of 2,000,000 SHU, isoproply alcholo with a ultra violet dye for suspect identification, and isobutane/propane as propellant. This is a relatively high concentration, but I'm curious about the flammable content for the propellant.

As far as decon, I believe I have read (and it makes sense as well) that cool water is best, and specifically not to use warm or hot water, as this simply opens the pores or your skin, slowing the decon process. After shooting, or being around the range, what does one do - wash your hands and arms, as well as around your face, with cool water, as warm/hot will open pores and do exactly what you're trying not to.

EricO

I have noticed that the spray or fogger is bad in indoor situations. One little spritz and the whole room clears out in 3-5 minutes. The foam is a better choice since it does not vaporize in the air and become dispersed by the heating/air conditioning systems.

Back