Obatex Black Powder From South Africa Is The Fastest

Is there something wrong with the lock time of a flintlock ? Back in the 70s or so Don Davis use to write in a weekly publication, Shotgun World or something. He had high speed photos of a flintlock and a percussion lock going off. It wasn't humanly possible to tell the difference. A well tuned flint works just great.

weight v. volume.........percussion v. flint

I was not aware of the Sharps Co advice, but........could that specifically apply to cartridge guns? Seems like I've read that T/C (in their ML manuals) always recommended by volume?

If one ONLY loaded by volume, as done most frequently with a sidelock, how could you adapt to Obtex? Load only half the volume? My measures do not go low enough for half charges of some of my existing loads in certain calibers.

Not picking a fight, just confused.

Again, why would I want to use Obatex in a side lock? Is it cartridge gun intended?

Of course Sharps was referring to their breechloaders, I just use the quote as a counterargument to the "grains volume" nonsense on the internet.

Obatex specifically recommends STARTING with half the usual Other Brand charge weight in muzzleloaders and adjusting to give desired performance. No reason you could not recalibrate your volume measure once you have gotten back where you started.
Bear in mind that this is in a country way off the usual trade routes and frequently embargoed for political philosophy. Domestic manufacture is a great advantage and just duplicating the old stuff was of no great importance.

Maybe it's trailboss with black dye??

I snorted when I read that. LOL

It would be great if they can get some to sell in the States too. I love getting 1000+ FPS from my 1858 in cap and ball mode and I reckon it would be good stuff also to charge the rounds for my .357 Vaquero.

Back