Obatex Black Powder From South Africa Is The Fastest

arcticap

attachment.php

A South African company is making a black powder that's faster than Swiss.
The FFF is so light and fluffy that an equal volume only weighs about 1/2 as much as other powders,
and an equal weight and/or volume is generally faster than all other powders by about 200 FPS or more.
The manufacturer recommends only loading 1/2 as much by weight until a person can work up their load by volume.

"In comparison to weight and volume it was clear that Obatex is as a general rule a lot faster than Wano and Swiss.
No more than 55% of your loads for Swiss or 50% for Wano should be shot with this Obatex.
If the same equivalent by weight is used, the velocity is much too high and the extremely fast ignition will burn
through the nipple very quickly, leading to other possible damage on your firearms."

See velocity comparison test data:--->>> https://www.bpsu.co.za/BPSU_Newsflashes/2016/BPSU Newsflash 7 of 2016.pdf

Obatex tested in BPCR:--->>> https://www.bpsu.co.za/Obatex 2 - By the numbers.pdf

Obatex tested in .45 acp:--->>> https://www.bpsu.co.za/Obatex 3 - ManMagnum December 2017.pdf

Attachments

• Obatex.jpg
    Obatex.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 52
  • obattex 1.jpg
    obattex 1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Obatex-thumb.jpg
    Obatex-thumb.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 740
I'd like to know the ingredients. Probably not using the traditional stuff. Maybe it's trailboss with black dye??

So what did they do to make it lighter?

The leading theory is that they use a very light wood approaching balsa for the charcoal.
The only thing I can see wrong with that is that traditional gunpowder is 15% charcoal and if you replace it with helium that is not going to reduce the powder density by half.

That is the key point. I use to make my own powder and changing the charcoal from one wood to another is possible, but I must to change the proportions accordingly. Charcoal is what is converted into gases, so incredibly as it could seem...changing from a hard or even a mild wood as willow to a lighter or softer one, you will reduce overall weight of the final mixture.

It looks like the secret could be the wood...

Attachments

• 20108234_1066875766776076_7428517821536519996_n.jpg
    20108234_1066875766776076_7428517821536519996_n.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 49
This is the first that I've ever heard of the obatex, b.p. propellent. Very interesting and the story behind it is quite interesting, too. I've never gotten on the website (below) before, but it gives some insight into "world" m.l.s and the restrictions we don't have to deal with here in the U.S., today anyway. The comments on obatex powder is right below the beautiful English patterned flinter with the containers of standard GOEX and Olde Eynsford. the $180.00 per pound comment was a brow-raiser, too. The article is over a year old, too, so I guess this powder has had some time to be usage proven, especially in a country under some serious, harsh restrictions regarding their import of sporting powders. Looks like the powder may be restricted to South Africa's usage only(?) I didn't see any exporting comments on the powder; may have missed it.

www.namlhunt.com/all-things-ml/archives/08-2017

If it says "BP" then it is so !!!

I'd like to know the ingredients. Probably not using the traditional stuff. Maybe it's trailboss with black dye??

True BP is classified as a Class-A explosive where it's replacements are classified as a Combustible mixtures. True BP, has qualities that replacements are "trying" to equal and lots of luck with that. …. :rolleyes:

When I first got started in this great adventure, I read where "Willow" made the best Charcoal, we along with the other ingredients went out and bought it. We could not corn it so finally stopped playing with making it and just bought it as well.. … ;)

If it's true BP, it will say so, Otherwise it will list "replacement" … :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
I imagine that would be a rule here, but S. Africa? Who knows for sure...?

That may be true but once it crosses our border, it will comply with our laws.

Wait, that may not be true either ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!

by volume

So the old adage, load BP only by volume, would especially apply to Obatek. And expect higher velocity as well.

I'm not sure why I would want to use the stuff, especially in a traditional side lock gun.

So the old adage, load BP only by volume, would especially apply to Obatek. And expect higher velocity as well.

They specifically recommend loading by weight, just like the Sharps Rifle Co, ca 1880. But starting with half the charge weight as for other brands.

I imagine that would be a rule here, but S. Africa? Who knows for sure...?

Never mind RSA, if it has been passed by the MLAIC, I'm betting it's the real thing.

Back