O/U vs. SXS

What do you prefer

• O/U

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • SXS

Votes: 46 53.5%

• Total voters
BigD, perhaps but the person that bought this gun new my grandfather was a much bigger person then I am, I'm 6 ft he was a couple of inches taller.
To me it's the nature of the beast, SxS just have more felt recoil. I get time in the next couple of days I'll compare LOP between it & my O/U's.

Even if your grandfather was a big guy, unless he had the gun fit for him it may have been built for the average size guy of 100 years past.

Well I'll be darned the SxS is 13 1/2 inches LOP and my O/U's are 14 inches, that means my head is back two inches on the O/U's.
I did do the old put the butt in the crook of your arm and see where the trigger falls and its perfect my trigger finger is even with back trigger.

Butt in the elbow doesn't mean diddly. What matters is taking your gun and the loads you intend to shoot to a pattern board and see where your POI/POA are. I will bet they aren't even close enough for shotgun pellets to be effective

I've shot this off and on when our shotgun club was still open, unfortunately it was on property that was on MCAS Miramar when the marines took the naval air station over and they shut us down.
But I digress I shoot it in the 20's at trap from the 16 yard line, was passed down to me about 50 years ago, it shoots my 1oz AA reloads just fine, but it still kicks more then my O/U skeet guns with the same shells.
Just changed the recoil pad which gave up from age.

Again, kick, (perceived) is a matter of gun fit, plain and simple. If you compare the stock dimensions to your O/Us that do not kick, I will bet you find some differences - they may not be huge in numbers, but they do not have to be to have a dramatically different effect. Very similar situation with Browning versus Beretta O/Us - both are excellent guns but their stock dimensions are different enough that if one fits you really well, odds are the other will not - I suspect a similar situation here

Tom, I'm a Miramar orphan, too. (Sure glad I paid for a life membership :mad:) The last time I shot trap and Skeet was as a guest of BigJimP at his club. in the Pacific Northwest, several years ago.

Zippy, I haven't shot a shotgun since they closed, I was year to year but for many years and I shot there when I was on active duty, when it was on the other side of the runway. Friend of mine and I made many a week day trip there. I'm not a big trap fan, I prefer skeet and may be 5 stand, not much of that going on close by.
I paid for a couple of more years until it was obvious we weren't going to win.

Yes lot of skeet at North Island I even put a few rounds down range on the pistol/rifle range. I've never shot at Camp Pendleton, have hunted quail there.

Boomer - how about something like this?

lauf_35.jpg

or this?

hw_cont.m52p37.jpg

:D:D:D:D Might be a tad heavy at about 9 pounds for 5 barrels with rifle and shotguns together though

You'll have to ask Peter Hofer, he makes these in Austria.....along with some other gorgeous stuff that I need to hit the Powerball for........

Old photo we found in a safe we thought empty all these years I think this was taken late 40's after the war, on the left my great grandfather with the SxS then my grandmother & grandfather using a magnifying glass looks to have a single barrel vent rib shotgun. The two young men I believe are range workers.
SxS is a A H Fox made in 1913 I'm had it maybe 50 years or so.

408346263.jpg

Last edited:
SxS holds most naturally. It wants to lay in the hand flat and lined up. Besides many doouble SxS's come with double triggers, a VERY FAST was to get to a second shot! No action to wrack.
Other than that it is what you shoot the best.
BPDave

SXS but only because I cut my teeth on one

Same here. Fox model B, with the barrel cut to 18.5" and funneled with a cylinder hone until the body of a 12 gauge hull fit in the muzzle. It makes about a 2 ft pattern at 15 yards with 20 pellet #4 buck.

My dad always called it his closet cleaner. ;)

Boomer

Back