O/U vs. SXS

What do you prefer

• O/U

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • SXS

Votes: 46 53.5%

• Total voters
Gotta be a classic SxS, with double triggers, if I'm invited to shoot with the nobility, otherwise it's gotta be an O/U.
Why?… Because I can shoot higher scores with an O/U.
The wider SxS blocks my view of rising targets, and I prefer the narrower grip of a O/U's beavertail. On the technical side, an O/U is vertically regulated opposed to a SxS's horizontal. And, the O/U is free of the SxS's lateral eccentricity while resolving recoil.

Gotta go with Zippy for the same reasons, even though I just picked up a SxS with DT.....

if it's nobility, then something from the likes of DMB, Purdey, H&H, even lowly AyA would get the nod

SxS, with double triggers, and exposed hammers.. Because all the critters I've ever seen had eyes like this..

eyes005.jpg

I'm still chuckling at Zippy's comment ...

but for me its an O/U ...and I'm not likely to wear a kilt and visit the lads in the old country anytime soon on a grouse hunt :eek: - but I would still take an O/U. For me, its the single sight plane that an O/U gives me and I sure don't want any double triggers on a gun .... / I like the single triggers.

I'm only 60 ( not nearly as old as Zippy ...:D) so I was never around any SXS's when I was a young fella ...(nobody in my family had that kind of money) ...so I've never developed an affinity for a SXS.

I shoot both. O/u for clays, sxs for upland hunting.

If I had to choose only one it would be o/u but it would be a greatly diminished existence.

I shoot both. O/u for clays, sxs for upland hunting.

If I had to choose only one it would be o/u but it would be a greatly diminished existence.

Same preference here. Having had the opportunities to be allowed to handle, fondle, and shoot some very nice SxS guns, my Savage/Fox BSE is probably going to be sold. (Similar to getting rid of the original old stogy wife for a newer model!.....:D)

Ding, ding ding.....we have a weiner! Give that man a "C"-gar!

Agreed, the right answer is vertical barrels for stupid clay and horizontal for pheasants or chukar.

Although I do use a 28 ga O/U for those measly quail in GA nd FL.

Although I do use a 28 ga O/U for those measly quail in GA nd FL.

If those are the "Plantation" or "Preserve" type of quail, a slingshot should be more than adequate with a 410 being overkill............:D

now that's just mean ...picking on plantation hunters ...

(where else will the guys from NYC go to hunt and drink heavily / or drink heavily and hunt - without their wives hanging around for a few days ) ..??

I shoot an O/u better, but a SxS is sexier. Its a sad fact, but there arent enough wild quail left to hunt in the SE. If it wasnt for pen raised birds there would be no quail hunting anymore. I have a few coveys on my property but, they dont get hunted. Theyre just too valuable. Most of the farms I grew up hunting, are now subdivisions full of northern transplants taking up valuable space while waiting to die. :(

Poll

Oh, you guys. Another poll asking me to do the impossible.
I voted sxs because that's what I hunt grouse with
but, y'know, with this trap shooting stuff, my next gun is probably going to be an O/U.

Back