NYC sends undercover offices to infiltrate Phoenix Crossroads Gun Show

That's not the case in Tx but I don't see that many private collection (hmm) tables lately.

Went to the show today and was it crowded. Wow. Bought lots of ammo!

glenn

jimpeel

Haven't been to a gun show in Virginia in a year or so but I rarely saw dealers calling into NICS for FFLs, although a friend of mine said some dealers were asking for proof of Citizenship for some "assault type" weapons lately.

No background check time waster at AZ gunshows for private sellers. Times were it was ONLY private sellers at a gun SHOW, dealers were forbidden. Then they changed that, and quantity went up, along with prices.
I don't care what Bloomers wanted to prove, all he proved was he pulled a publicity stunt in a state he has no jurisdiction in, same as if we staged drug buys on camera in his town to prove his cops are ineffective. Also, if his people didn't report the crime, (as the sellers did violate the law if they heard the guy and understood that the comment meant he was probably prohibited), then they certainly should be arrested as accessories to a crime, and Bloomers prosecuted under RICO for fomenting multiple crimes across state lines.
unfortunately Bloomers has many powerful political cronies, and when those run out, his vast resources will buy more cronies.

As far as a guy saying, "I probably wouldn't pass a check," I haven't heard the tape.

I heard it.

Buyer: Do you need to do a background check?

Seller: No

Buyer: "I probably wouldn't pass a check,"

sale proceeds...

There is a pretty high standard to prove the seller knows anything but it was clearly met here.

Hey guess what?! Sometimes rebirthed cars are sold as geunine vehicles too!
They might even be used in a crime or two.
How about cars are banned?

:rolleyes:

Most gun shows now have a requirement that anything that is sold under their roof has to have a background check done before the sale. They have FFLs there working the phones for that purpose only.
It isn't required in SC, and it shouldn't be. I bought a few guns in and out of guns shows through private parties in SC and never had a check done unless I was buying from a dealer.

The fallacy if the so called loop hole is that private party sales do not require checks and there is no reason they should be required because you are in a gun show.

Even if checks were required it would be legal for 2 people to step outside the building and do the transaction. But once the anti gunners get the gun shot law the next step will be to include all private sales

Maybe I was too hasty when I said "most". It seems that I erred.

Here in Colorado:

The language that appeared on the ballot: Initiative Statute Analysis by Colorado Legislative Council: Requires background checks if any part of a gun purchase takes place at a gun show with the exception of antique guns, curios and relics; requires a designated licensed gun dealer to obtain background checks, and to keep records of purchases as he or she would when selling, renting, or exchanging at retail; defines a gun show as any event or function where 25 or more guns are offered or exhibited for sale, transfer, or exchange, or at least three gun owners exhibit, sell, offer for sale, transfer, or exchange guns; and creates misdemeanor penalties punishable by jail, fines, or both.

Background and Provisions of the Proposal: Federal law requires gun dealers "people who are in the business of selling guns" to be licensed. Licensed gun dealers must request a background check and get approval prior to a gun sale. Private individuals who occasionally sell or exchange guns are not required to be licensed, obtain a background check, or get approval prior to a sale. People who want to buy guns at gun shows may choose to buy from either a licensed gun dealer or a private individual.

This proposal requires at least one designated licensed gun dealer to obtain background checks on behalf of private individuals who sell guns at gun shows. The licensed gun dealer may charge a fee of up to ten dollars for this service. The proposal creates penalties for violations of its provisions, including providing false information for the background check and failing to request a background check and get approval prior to a gun sale. The penalties include six to 24 months in jail, a fine of $500 to $5,000, or both.

Fiscal Impact: The Office of State Planning and Budgeting has determined that implementation of the measure would require a General Fund appropriation of between $357,383 and $494,211 for the first fiscal year of full implementation, which would include: - 10 to 15 additional temporary employees; - 2 to 3 additional full-time employees for appeals from denied purchases; - additional leased space; and - additional computer and capital expenses for 12 to 18 employees.

There may be an additional cost for a web-based computer interface in the amount of approximately $578,060.

The Office of State Planning and Budgeting has determined that implementation of the measure would require a General Fund appropriation of between $297,416 and $411,227 for the subsequent fiscal year, which would include: - 10 to 15 temporary employees; - 2 to 3 full-time employees for appeals from denied purchases; and - leased space.

There may be an additional cost of $31,500 for continuation of the web-based computer interface. In addition to these costs, it is likely that there would be state and local costs for law enforcement and incarceration, but the amount of such costs is indeterminate.

Musketeer, my question wasn't about whether it was said, but how it was said.

IE, was it a nervous, "man we could get in trouble for this" statement, or more of a jokey, good ol'boy having fun tone of voice?

Personally, I only sell FtF to people I know, and use FFL transfers for sales to strangers (including TFL members I don't know firsthand). But I'm kind of conservative that way.

Back