Nutria Rats...

they prefered Black rifles, AKs & .308 veprs
that made them blow up good... reeeal good

LMAO! Last time I checked, Nutrias were .22 rimfire only in the great state of MD. But then, I doubt many cops are gonna wade out into the marsh to check your Ar15 to see if its shooting .223 or has a .22lr kit installed.

Kharn

"Yeah and sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie , but I'll never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the flithy &^%$#*(@!"

I think Samuel L. Jackson summed that up well.

Then again, if you are hungry enough you can eat anything, if you HAVE to.

I recall a Nutria Rat Shooters Militia (now defunct) that featured these guys in camo with serious hardware, (Ak's, AR's, Benellis etc) declaring war on the vermin. It was a very silly site.

Seriously guys, if you shoot the younguns (4-5 pounds or so) and smother the down with onions they taste JUST like rabbit...............no kidding guys.

Southla1,

I'm gonna have to trust you on that one!

Kinda off topic, has anyone ever had any run ins with a Capabear? There have been a few killed here in North Florida in recent years, but I've never seen alive in the wild.

I did see a show on Discovery about them, and my first thought was that they were like very large nutria.

Capybara? Who turned those loose in Florida? Them thar is Amazon-jungle critters, according to National Geographic, etc. Jaguars luvvum. (Dunno 'bout Ferraris.)

:), Art

Ole Swampgator says: And to think you used to manage a resturant.
BTW isn't that your recipe for smothered possum, coon, and 'dillo?

Yes, those years of honing my culinary skills were not wasted Swampgator!! ................and you CAN use this recipe to prepare other denizens of the swamp.

BTW, it is always a treat to see you here. Hope the family is doing well. My regards :)

"Word has it that Nutes are not entirely herbivorous. While not predators per se, they do eat eggs and fledgling birds." - David McC

Generalized classifications such as carnivore and herbivore are simply a way to make a generalized statement about an animal's preferred or most common food regime - even through Carnivora is a Order of the mammals as is Rodentia. Few would doubt the status of a bear being a carnivore, but they really consume more in vegetation than they do in animal products. It would not be surprising to find nutria feeding on animal products.

Many rodents have a diet more diversified than just plants. Eating animal products is usually an opportunistic endeavor, such as when coming across a nest of eggs or maybe an animal carcass. Some are carnivorous only under certain conditions. For example, pregnant or lactating female squirrels will scavenge carcass or raid birds' nests for eggs or chicks for the sole purpose of satisfying their nutritional distress brought on by pregnancy or lactating.

At other times, rodents will eat animal products when their normal food reserves are gone. Have you seen any of the footage from Australia when they have the rodent population explosions? Everything from other mice to livestock gets attacked.

Here in the states, the grasshopper mouse is primarily carnivorous and eats insects, scorpions, other mice, nesting birds, and eggs. They have been reported to actually hunt in packs, like a mini pack of wolves and even have a howl or whistle.

Most rodents are NOT good predators, but if the have a success rate with less than 90% failure, then they will actually have a success rate higher than cheetahs whose predatory status is unquestioned.

I don't think they're real tough to kill, probably the perfect varmint to have fun with your .22 or .22mag with, the new .17HMR might be pretty cool too. I read an article ( its been quite awhile, couldn't find it again) by a couple guys that hunted nutrias with magnum air rifles. One had a springer, TX200 or something like that and the other had a real hot rod precharged outfit. Didn't make it sound like they were nearly as tough as racoons, possums, etc.

News from the front...

Well, I bought a little .22 bolt action today and went on my first real Nutria hunt. I stopped at a pawn shop here in town and scoped out the .22s for a while. I finally settled on a JC Higgins .22 bolt action rifle with a clip. I think I got a pretty good deal at $70. Then we drove out to the swamps (still not sure if we found an official swamp) and hiked around for a while trying to find the elusive Nutria (pronounced 'Nutra' in these parts). Alas, after three hours of tramping around, all we found was a lost dog who followed us home. However, I'm planning on doing more of the same tomorrow night, possibly with a flashlight. I guess swamps are a little harder to come by here than I'd expected. But I had a blast on my first day hunting in my entire life.

The guys in the article I read had gone around to area farmers and asked for permission to varmint hunt on their land. Sounded like irrigation ponds and things like that were a good place to find them. They also shot crows and stuff, win win situation for the hunters and the farmers.

Shooting nutrias might be okay, but I believe shooting crows is definitely against federal law. They are considered indigenous migratory birds and hence are protected.

They may be federally protected but they are dead meat down here........................for them I do not have a recipe though :D!

as posted by Double Naught Spy

I believe shooting crows is definitely against federal law. They are considered indigenous migratory birds and hence are protected.
Not so:

Per the Florida 2002-2003 Hunting Regulations handbook:

"Migratory nongame birds that are causing damage to trees, crops, livestock or wildlife, or that are concentrated in such numbers that they are a nuisance, may be taken under permit issued by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Blackbirds, grackles, cowbirds, and crows may be taken without permit when they are causing such damage." (Emphasis mine)

Also: FWC Website
Crow
Season: November 9 - January 19.
May 10 - November 2 (Saturdays and Sundays only)
Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset
Bag Limit: No bag or possession limits.

as posted by Southla1
They may be federally protected but they are dead meat down here........................for them I do not have a recipe though!

I did have a crow recipe at one time. There's a website dedicated to crow shooters and it was listed on it. Never had the
"pleasure(?)" of trying it though.

as posted by Art Eatman
Capybara? Who turned those loose in Florida? Them thar is Amazon-jungle critters, according to National Geographic, etc. Jaguars luvvum. (Dunno 'bout Ferraris.)

Art, dunno who released them, but they are here. Surprisingly they aren't too much of a problem yet. Several have been spotted in the area of the Suwannee and Santa Fe Rivers in North Central Florida (ie down the road from the house).

The first case I remember hearing of was back in 1995 a fellow was fishing from the bank of the Suwannee when a Capybara accosted him. Not recongnizing what it was, but recongnizing that it didn't belong, he shot it, (Smart guy actually) and brought the carcass to the Commission. So yeah, they're here.

as posted by Mannlicher
Yes, those years of honing my culinary skills were not wasted Swampgator!! ................and you CAN use this recipe to prepare other denizens of the swamp.

BTW, it is always a treat to see you here. Hope the family is doing well.

Just glad I never took you up on the free meal offer! :D
Everything's cool up here, literally, we set a new record low temp the other night!

Rob fell while cleaning the bullet traps and separated his shoulder plus has a nasty, I mean really nasty bruise on his hip. But other than that everybodies good.

Just got back from my second Nutria hunt, and the score is:
Nutrias: 2
Matt: ZERO

I actually found a swamp this time, just didn't see anything in it. I do like the .22 though. It's so quiet. I got in a little target practice while I was waiting for the ever elusive Nutrias. Anybody know if Nutrias are afraid of humans? Would they run if they saw me or just mind their own? Anyway, maybe I'll try again next weekend...gotta find a better swamp though.

Gizmo,

Both are semi-aquatic rodents.

Nutrias are smaller 22-25 inches long, 12-17 inch tail, 15-20 pounds in weight.

Capybara are: "Largest rodent alive with body length of 42 to 53 inches and height at shoulder 20 to 24 inches; weight of male is 77 to 140 pounds, of female 80 to 145 pounds."

BTW Mega Cool points awarded to the first person to post a Capy recipe!

Nutria are like aquatic armadillos

They're not particularly bright. I've even caught a couple of youngsters (2-3 lbs.)by hand once. Their diet is herbivorous, and they're no more dangerous than an armadillo is, unless you try to catch one, they do have big nasty teeth. They are however a pest. I normally shoot them when I have a chance. Would think a .22lr scoped would be good, shotgun would be better, but shells cost more. Be careful when shooting on surface of water lest your bullet skip!

Southern shipyard workers brought along a supply of nutria (to go with their collard greens) during WWII; they (the nutria) got loose and now inhabit the last 100 miles or so of the Columbia River, as well as most of the Willamette Valley here in Oregon. I have seen them entering/exiting drainage pipes in suburban Portland. I duck hunt with a friend in the big marshes athwart the Columbia near Astoria and the bane of his existence are the nutria for which his black lab Ebby has an irresistable affinity. The battles between Ebby and an adult nutria (she inevitably runs across one while retrieving distant crippled ducks) are something to see and hear, as is the screaming and raving of her owner. Ebby always loses; her ears resemble the fringes on a buckskin shirt. She can kill the babies and juveniles, but an adult will draw blood and whup her ass every time. My wife's uncle (her family's from Metairie, La) has a friend with a custom dental bridge that includes a nutria tooth ground down to fit. Says he can crack Lake Ponchartrain oyster shells with it.

Nutria have made it as far north as Dallas, I know, as I bumped into one once on the Grand Prarie Muni golf course. Walking around a pond with rushes, I first saw him perhaps fifteen feet away. Startling to meet a 15 pound rat without warning.:eek: I was glad for my 3 iron and wishing for a 1911!

Somewhere I have a photo of three younguns we met while fishing on Lake Caddo - they were sitting on a floating log.

Alligators supposedly like Nutria, and I think the gator's comeback is partly due to the plentiful supply of slow swimming, easy to catch Nutrias. Guess that's not a bad thing:)

Now if someone could just figure out what animal could be introduced to California and put a dent in the liberal populations. Siberian Tigers? Jaguars? Black Mambas?:D

Back