NRA instructors and the new online course

Is an NRA certification required to teach these classes. I also see that some states accept the basic Hunter Ed classes for issuing of the permit. I don't feel that this is adequate and glad that this route was shot down or at least postponed, in Iowa. I'm not indicating that an instructor has to have this NRA certification as I know some LEO's that are more than qualified to teach

The state will decide what instructor criteria will be acceptable along with any other program they see meets state requirements that they set

Basic pistol never made any sense to me as a CCW course. It just seemed like someone looked at the NRA classes available and decided that was the best. In Ohio one can also take the OPOTA firearms segment. It is a MUCH MUCH better class for CCW.

Concur with NoSecondBest.

One thing about instructing a class is that as an instructor, you test the communication level between yourself and your students. You can also do hands-on demonstration in class without live ammunition so as to get the students acquainted with their firearm or a variety of firearms before going to the range. This helps build confidence and competence and also ensures that safe handling practices are drilled into the student. As an instructor, you don't want to take any one who is dangerous or careless with a firearm out to the range.

You can't do those things online and the online/distant learning students would be total strangers to the instructor. They will have various levels of competence and safety practices. With the online training, all you're really doing is playing range offcer (or range safety officer).

I can see why the NRA does it though as it generates more revenue directly to the NRA. Second, it makes the training more readily accessible to anyone who can't attend classes because of distance, time committments (work, family, school).

According to the lesson plans for phase 2 (the in person training)

The actual handling of the gun is still covered in person in the classroom, or dry on a cold range before moving on to live fire.

The online training focuses more on the action types, parts, components of ammo and how they work, etc.

I honestly don't believe those topics require or really benefit from in person instruction.

As I'm looking into transitioning, I fully expect to spend a minimum of 1-2 hours in the classroom covering the safe handling, and getting students acquainted with the handguns they will be using.

That said I fully agree with your last sentence.

Yes, you have to provide some hands on prior to the range. However, the NRA promotes it as if there is no classroom time after the online portion. Like others, I will be making sure students can handle a firearm safely prior to the range. Plus, how could you possibly teach someone to clean a firearm at the range.

Back