Now You Can Have A Kimber K6S With A Hammer

Although I see no need for a hammer on that great revolver, I do know that was the first request to come out of the mouths of people the minute after it was first introduced.
As for it being a carry gun, a few million S&W revolvers were carried for decades by LE all over the world so I suspect this will be a big seller for Kimber.

20170303-164429-zpsntoxoge2.jpg

They are really making it hard for me.
I've been interested in the 2" DAO since released but I've been stuck on SP101's long.
Then they intro'd the 3" which is my favorite revolver length.
And now the 3" DA/SA....UGH!

Good thing my wife is an avid shooter :D

Looks good to me. I really enjoy my K6S, its a great carry gun and I still love the trigger. Wonder how this one will feel?

As for it being a carry gun, a few million S&W revolvers were carried for decades by LE all over the world so I suspect this will be a big seller for Kimber.

But LEOs no longer carry revolvers. This in itself has diminished the snubbie revolver market. Add to it, that most new folks to the world of SD buy pistols instead of revolvers. Then there is the substantially higher price point than many other SD revolver options.......with Kimber not being a familiar name in the revolver game. Had Colt stayed outta the DA revolver business, they probably would see more sales from those folks that want to carry a high end revolver for SD. I'm thinking Colt is gonna take away a big portion of that market. Only thing that is making production feasible on these types of guns is CNC machining. The investment is large, but the machines can quickly and easily move on to making a different model when one doesn't sell or demand is small. This is why one is seeing more and more niche type guns.

But LEOs no longer carry revolvers. This in itself has diminished the snubbie revolver market. Add to it, that most new folks to the world of SD buy pistols instead of revolvers. Then there is the substantially higher price point than many other SD revolver options.......with Kimber not being a familiar name in the revolver game. Had Colt stayed outta the DA revolver business, they probably would see more sales from those folks that want to carry a high end revolver for SD. I'm thinking Colt is gonna take away a big portion of that market. Only thing that is making production feasible on these types of guns is CNC machining. The investment is large, but the machines can quickly and easily move on to making a different model when one doesn't sell or demand is small. This is why one is seeing more and more niche type guns.
Here in the SW it is not at all unusual to find LEO's still carrying revolvers as their duty sidearm. In metros they don't but poke around smaller PD's & Sheriffs departments and you do still find them regularly. But that's as a duty sidearm, if you look at BUGs I think you might be surprised. I've got 40 years in law enforcement and to this day most cops I've known and worked with use a snubbie as their BUG.

That count grew even more after Ruger brought out their 38 LCR, it's the most common BUG I come across today followed by Airweights. In my experience I would WAG that it's about 3:1 wheelguns versus semi-autos used as BUGs.

Of course I don't think anyone is lugging around a 3" steel frame as a BUG, but wheel guns are far from gone in law enforcement.

Here in the SW it is not at all unusual to find LEO's still carrying revolvers as their duty sidearm. In metros they don't but poke around smaller PD's & Sheriffs departments and you do still find them regularly. But that's as a duty sidearm, if you look at BUGs I think you might be surprised. I've got 40 years in law enforcement and to this day most cops I've known and worked with use a snubbie as their BUG.

That count grew even more after Ruger brought out their 38 LCR, it's the most common BUG I come across today followed by Airweights. In my experience I would WAG that it's about 3:1 wheelguns versus semi-autos used as BUGs.

Of course I don't think anyone is lugging around a 3" steel frame as a BUG, but wheel guns are far from gone in law enforcement.

I am friends with the local Police Lieutenant , who used to be the armorer for the department. We talk guns quite a bit. From this I had kinda gathered that from his impression, there were very few, if any, departments that actively issue revolvers anymore, altho there are many that approve them as BUGs. He also claims that most departments only let officers carry them as primaries unless they have been grandfathered, and this declines every year. Myself, I am just going by what he tells me and I see. Both of you know more about what cops do and have than I do.

Still, without every police force in the country actively issuing revolvers, the market has crashed. No different than when the military changes it model of primary weapon. Biggest buyer just walks away. While there still is a market, it has just gotten much smaller and much more competitive. Two local gun shops I frequent have both told me that revolver sales for civilian SD are small compared to pistols. Their biggest market(and profit) comes from the new interest in SAS type SA revolvers for competition, folks looking for fun range guns and the new interest in Hunting type revolvers. Along with the change of issued weapons, comes the huge influx of police trade in guns. I'm betting more old PTI model 10s get bought every year than Kimber K6s. So while I do admit that the K6s sell, I have a hard time believing they are going to be the "Big Seller" as compared to Kimber's pistol sales.

Very nice looking gun.I have an SP101 I've done a trigger job, tritium front site, and buffalo horn grips. Love that gun and enjoy carrying it. That Kimber though is calling my name.

I have the hammerless KS6 and love it. I purchased it because of the hammerless option in a concealed carry weapon. Well that and it's a 6 shot CCW in .357.

Kimber does not have to take over the revolver market to be a success. S&W's quality has fallen and having worked with the new Colt I don't believe the quality comes close to the Kimber.
Those who are seeking a high quality revolver should put Kimber on their list to check out.

One great moment in my PT career as a range officer was the crap given kiddingly by a customer because I was carrying a revolver. He brought his 1911 to the line and experienced malfunction after malfunction. I calmly stepped to the lane next to him and fired seven shots from my 586L-comp. He just looked over, gave me a thumbs up and smiled as the continued to fumble with his slide.

I went with a different solution to a 23 oz 6 shot 357 mag. revolver. My NIB federal magnum 327 revolver has just under the 357 mag power but has much less recoil and optic flash. It too is a 6 shot revolver.
I took my 2" 35 mag revolver (weighs over 30 ozs. which it ate up the 357 mag ammo like candy. But the muzzle flash & time to come back on target is okay. But the 327 is better in all fields except the power of the 357 & cost/bullet. I'll take the 17.6 oz 327 mag any day and that;s of course IMHO.

Next thing they'll do is put adjustable sights on them. Carry gun
Pretty good idea if you want to zero your loads and, contrary to popular culture, adj. sights do not move of alignment without gross abuse to them. But...this is a Kimber...who knows?

The 327 is better in all fields except the power of the 357 & cost/bullet. I'll take the 17.6 oz 327 mag any day and that's of course IMHO.
Doc's choice is far better in my opinion and with far better customer service if he needs it. But I'll say that I do prefer a 3" bbl., finding it far more accurate that Smith's 1-7/8", and also that the add'l length is no add'l burden for truly concealed carry. (It's the grip length, not the bbl. that prints, IMHO.)

YMMV Rod

Last edited:
Back