TahoeDust

Ruger RAR .22LR
Vortex 4-14
Harris Bi-pod

15rd group, 50 yds outdoor range, CCI Mini Mag...1.25"

IMG_0406a.jpg

IMG_0408a.jpg

SICK!!!

I'm looking to (eventually) getting a RAR for squirrel season next year. I missed out this year, couldn't get my hunting safety permit in time, but this will give me time to get the permit and get the gun/gear ready!

If that's good for you, awesome! I was there at one point. Now if I can't hold minute of the bottom of a soda can at 75 yards with my open sights (Savage Mark II) I get disappointed.

So keep working at it.

I'd call the group great at 1.25" with CCI Mini Mag ammunition, it's acceptable accuracy for most situations you'll run across with a factory .22 rifle at the range or in the field. If I were shooting some match grade .22LR Eley, Wolf, Lapua or other and I had a 1.25" group at 50 yards I might be disappointed. With .22 LR it's all about the consistency of the ammunition you run, but then you struggle with just finding ammunition any these days so I'd be very happy to have that group.

Don't take the comments personally. In the 14 years I've been hanging around various gun forums I have yet to meet someone who didn't routinely shoot 1/4" groups with ANY rifle they owned from a $75 Wards 22 to an issue 303 Enfield. To read these forums you'd think all God's children can shoot .5 MOA on demand with any rifle. I once shot a 1/4" group at 50 yards with a Ruger 10/22 right out of the box with a 4X scope but notice the key word: once. I never did it again. Most guys wouldn't consider 1.25" at 50 to be match accuracy, but you did shoot 15 shots (most are 3 or 5 at most) and you weren't using match grade ammo. I think putting 15 rounds into 1.25" isn't too shabby. Also, it looks like one shot drifted out a bit ruining what was essentially one elongated hole for a group. Some may turn up their noses at that but not I.

I am not familiar with the Ruger "RAR" but do you really need a 14x scope on a 22? Try various ammo (if you can find some) as 22s are notorious for having preferences for one brand over others.

I am not familiar with the Ruger "RAR" but do you really need a 14x scope on a 22?
High power scopes work great on 22's

When I bought my 77/22, I didn't know what scope I wanted to get for it, but I had a Leu 6.5 X 20 AO that I didn't have on anything at the time.

I LOVED that set-up for squirrel hunting because I could use it to find squirrels in the trees that I wouldn't have seen at all with a lower powered scope.

When I finally got a scope for the rifle, I settled on a 4 X 12 Leu, but there are times I wish I had gotten another 20 power

The better you can see the target, the more accurate you will be, and I could dial the AO to less than 25 yds for no parallax

And a Harris bipod, too!
My buddy loves those contraptions, while I wouldn't have one of those on any rifle of mine. To each, their own.

If I were shooting some match grade .22LR Eley, Wolf, Lapua or other and I had a 1.25" group at 50 yards I might be disappointed.
Unless your gun has a match chamber, the high dollar ammo isn't more likely to be any more accurate than standard loads.

None of the fancy "match" ammo shoots any better than Win Super X in a couple of my rifles

My gun does alright with Wolf MT and as far as I know, it doesn't have a match chamber.
Admittedly, this 5 shot @ 50 yard group was shot in an indoor range so it was a real measure of the ammo's potential and not a test of my wind doping ability. A mere 5 mph crosswind can drift a .22LR close to 3/4 of an inch @ 50 yards.

088.jpg

Same ammo, same rifle at an outdoor range @50 yards.

021.jpg

CCI standard velocity is also very accurate but I can't quite match Wolf MT groups with it, but unlike Wolf, CCI SV can actually be found on sale at my local gun store on occasion.

.22 ammo, it's the Beanie Babies of the 2010's.

Boy Scout qualification for the Rifle merit badge is shooting 5 rounds of .22LR in a quarter sized target at 50'. With NRA training, knowledge, skill & attitude, it works.

Interesting. At 13 yds I wonder how difficult that would be.

I dunno. Shooting from the offhand position, that would be quite challenging.
From sandbags, easy.
What position is specified was not stated, I assume from a rest because if it was offhand, I'm sure the poster would have said so.

One of the criteria for a practice range for my shooting is the accommodation of people who want to practice offhand rifle shooting. Ranges that are bench only are great if you want to sight in your rifle but I want to practice shooting.

the high dollar ammo isn't more likely to be any more accurate than standard loads.
My stock 10/22 gave 5" groups at 50 yds with Remington big box, and pretty much went in order of price down to 1/2" with Eley Tenex. With a better trigger and barrel I could meet the 1/2" with a Eley Match but not improve with the Tenex, so I guess that's where my shooting gets worse than the gun. An Anschuetz with the same ammo selection went from 3" down to 1/2" with Match. I found ammo the single most decisive factor for 22 accuracy.

Back