Now this is a revolver......

Rich_357

Well, I took my .357 SP101 and the 9mm Shield out to the range today. I was feeling good about my shots and discussing the SP101 with a frequent member. Then the BOOM cannon showed up; everyone was like WOAH and backed off as he set up. He started out at about 10 yards and then moved to 100 yards. I'm guesstimating 1.25” holes in the bullseye at both ranges. I was two bays away from him and I swear I saw the compression wave move past me as one of the rounds went off! :D Nice guy; he offered to let me shoot it but I declined….I’m a wuss! LOL The guy next to me decided to shoot it and the legs shot up about 6”; it was insane!!!! He’s going to use it for hunting purposes. Neat stuff….

S&W Model 460XVR. WOW...is all I have! :cool:

IMG_20160813_151859_zpshqqqmcnt.jpg

Oh it's a nice gun. Given the accuracies that he was able to produce at 100 yards, he'll have no problem deer hunting with it. The guy next to me was less than an inch above bulls eye on his first shot. The power was just insane!!!

I let a fellow at the range sucker me with something like that.
He hands me his TC contender he just unbagged.
No hint of what caliber, either.
It was a 30-30.
Ouch.

I wouldn't actually buy a .460 like that... but I would have shot it in a second. Probably end up offering him some money for 12 bullets or so in order to really enjoy it. Too darn heavy to recoil that much. One of the new Ruger five shot Blackhawks in .454 would sting your hand worse and people are buying and shooting them. (Mine is a .480 for just that reason.)

Gregg

I think you missed quite an opportunity.

I, for one, would have gladly volunteered to crew it. Start out as loader, work your way up to assistant gunner then gunner then someday get to pull the trigger. :D

While the ammunition would be expensive, for me the real deal breaker would be how much I'd have to pay a gun bearer to carry it around for me.

Still would be very cool to be able to say,
"Oh, gun lackey, my four sixty magnum please. I think that rhino is about to charge."

"...and equal in power"

Do you have any chronograph data from this revolver with the pictured ammunition?

The box data for the picture ammo is 2050 fps - for the 325 FTX or the 250 GMX and that is from a 22" barrel Marlin ( per PC with Hornady)

Hornady also warns don't shoot these from a revolver !!!

My 45-70 BFR (7.5") pushes a 300 grain at just over 1800 fps- loaded hot
bullet is Hornady 300 HP

My 460 S&W (7.5") pushes a 300 grain at 1980 fps +/- loaded hot
My 460 BFR pushes same load above 1940 fps
bullet is Hornady 300 XTP MAG
( normally I shoot these at around 1650 for hunting pigs)

I can't get any 45-70 light (250 thru 360) bullet weight to out perform any of my 460 S&W guns- rifle or pistol when same length and bullet weight used until I shoot 405 grain bullets.

Don't take this wrong - just saying
Love all my 45-70s and 460 S&W - both great cartridges

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy

P1050416_zpsbqje79gp.jpg

I can't speak to the highly upgraded version in the original post but the standard XVR is actually pretty user-friendly for the amount of power it's putting out. The cushy grips and compensator really do their jobs. For instance, I find the recoil of .454 Casull out of a Redhawk far more punishing than .460 out of the XVR in similar bullet weights. Of course, the 200-grain loads from Hornady are easiest on both hand and wallet. :rolleyes:

I like my .460 xvr and it is a great caliber for... everything:). I have a smith and Wesson 500 magnum and the ammo prices are about the same. I much rather shoot the 500 because I am a gluten for punishment lol. I love the heavy 700 gr. bullets. but they can only be handled in short succession. the most I have been able to shoot at once was 8 before I had to give my poor wrists a break. the .460 is more versatile with it's cartridges and longer ranges too. but the 500 is just a monster. I own 2 s&w 500s and I love the bear model. I have only been able to put 3 700 grain bullets down range with it. I don't shoot it much because it sits on display in its pretty orange case in the gun room.

Back