Now No Powder

I, for one, do not envision this supply shortage to end anytime soon. It could very well get worse - much worse.

With a record number of new gun owners out there, many new shooters may simply be unaware of how inflated current prices are.

Additionally, the politics of the nation have changed, as we all know. To me, all this portends a continuation of current market conditions.

I hope I’m wrong...

Bayou

44caliberkid said:
Thought I had a pound of 4895, but it was something else, so I find myself with no suitable powder for 308/ 30-06 loads,

44caliberkid said:
I haven’t been worried about shortages because I have ammo and components. I have primers, bullets, lead, powder and shot to last my lifetime,

A pound of 30 caliber powder is NOT enough to "last a lifetime". So note to self moving forward , is to pay close attention to your overall inventory and keep your components "balanced" for each specific caliber you load for.

A pound of 30 caliber powder is NOT enough to "last a lifetime". So note to self moving forward , is to pay close attention to your overall inventory and keep your components "balanced" for each specific caliber you load for.
putting dates on your powder and primers is generally a good idea as well... so you use your old inventory first

If I'm only going to live 1 to 5 more years, it well could be a lifetime.

Saw this today and Cabela's Louisville, KY They had BL-C(2) that listed 223 and 308 loads. I am seeing more powder coming in the last few weeks. $31.99 a can mostly.

zMidFtGl.png

This is great news. My understanding is they make huge batches of a few powders at a time and rotate through the line up. During normal times we don’t see much interruptions in any one powder. So as supply catches up to demand we may not see our favorite powder right off but should be coming in a few months at most.

I’m pretty set for powder right now but makes me nervous when the endpoint is unknown.

I believe powder may be easier to ramp manufacturing up than the other components. I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems as though it would be easier to produce more powder than more primers in demand spikes. Which is not at all a bad thing for me anyway. I’m mostly good on primers for now, powder will run low first.

Google how many smokeless powders are produced in the USA , you will soon find out we depend on other countries for our supply . Way more to it than making the workers work a double in florida.

My son found powder yesterday while on a biz trip . I don't know all the details but he found me some Varget . I have moved on from Varget because I could not find it half the time . I will save it and maybe revisit those loads if need be or use it to barter for other supplies . Really surprised when he sent me the pic and Varget was there .

Attachments

• Powder 3-8-21.jpg
    Powder 3-8-21.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have managed to score 2 8# jugs of my favorite shotgun powder- 1 about a month ago and the other just the other day. It takes being aware and checking emails from websites where you asked for notification and then pouncing quickly.

44caliberkid

IF you would want IMR4895 and willing to drive to Osceola WI, I would sell you some powder for a very reasonable price. Bring your own properly marked containers.

Thought I had a pound of 4895, but it was something else, so I find myself with no suitable powder for 308/ 30-06 loads, 150gr. FMJ, 2650 - 2700 fps. I went to a big sporting goods store that usually has everything, just picked up a can of H-110 there a few weeks ago, they were sold out of everything except BP substitute. On line reloading suppliers are all out of stock. I could use 4895, RL-15, Tac X, Varget, Win 748, or similar. Anyone know a place with any product? You might want to PM me to avoid a run on the place.
As of 3/14 7:53 am there was still Norma powders available on https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Norma Urp, Norma 200, Norma 202, Norma 204

Back