Nothing like a Laser.......

roashooter

Was at the range last night....a good crowd....plenty of shooters punching holes in paper at all of three to five yards. Had a hot shot next to my lane..watch me run the outline down to the end...(25yards). S&W 686 4in....140 gr home load...357 mag...six rounds center mass...not my best at four inch group...but compared to long range dudes at 5 yards....it was beyond their ability.....but the ones with the lasers.....wow...just wow....looked like a spaz convention loaded up with mountaindue/redbull/expresso....nothing like a laser to show EVERYONE....how bad you shake and flinch......

Or good for building skill.
It depends on the person using it and their goals.
Most folks tend to depend on sights rather than their skill in aiming and executing shots.
They figure if the sights are on the target they can't miss.

Good shooting at the range with a laser does not necessarily mean that it would relate to real-life in a defensive shooting situation.

I don't own any laser sights; however, I have always considered that their main utility would be for getting shots on target in (probably rare, yet conceivable) situations where you were unable to use sights...such as one-handed shooting from behind cover or concealment.

Dry fire with a laser cartridge in your chamber or just with a laser installed on your gun. One very good way to learn not to flinch. Lasers have their purpose.

Dry fire with a laser cartridge in your chamber or just with a laser installed on your gun. One very good way to learn not to flinch.

A penny on the slide/barrel does the same thing.

Lasers have their uses, both for training and in the field. But they are only one of several ways to index the gun on target. So they still require you to have solid marksmanship skills, i. e. , trigger control, or you will still miss.

The nimrods at the range who can't hit anything, couldn't hit with sights or a laser. And if their can't make their hits with sights, a laser won't improve things for them. They don't know how to make their guns fire without jerking them off target. They could learn, but they don't understand how to do that either.

The widespread [ineffective] use of lasers is just one more example of the tendency to try to solve what is a software problem with hardware.

Laser sights tend to be misunderstood by many folks, especially when just starting defensive shooting. I agree that if you can't shoot well while looking at sights, then a laser sight won't magically make you a better marksman. What they WILL do though, is point out dramatically how jittery most people are with shooting handguns, regardless of what sights are on the gun.

That being said though, they are a real boon to those of us with declining eye-sight or in low-light conditions, and obviously also as a great training aid for mastering that trigger pull. Even tritium night sights aren't that useful when I'm not wearing my glasses, and lasers allow me one additional real benefit. I can effectively aim and fire even if/when I'm unable to raise the gun up to eye level. That's why they're on all of the weapons I use for home defense.

Code:
A penny on the slide/barrel does the same thing.

Not when drawing from a holster, just saying. I use mine for training only. I have a target set up at home. I turn the laser on put the empty pistol in my holster. I close my eyes pull my pistol to where I think I am on target. I open my eyes and see where the laser is pointing. In the beginning I was off more than I thought I would be. Laser is a tool and can be use to help build muscle memory. Actual shooing and taking lessons is the best way to improve your skills.

A penny on the slide will tell you if you are anticipating the recoil, but does not give the same feed back as a LaserLyte training round. If you are pulling the shot only slightly right or left, the penny will remain on the slide, but the laser will show you exactly where the round would have impacted.

I like lasers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaPUemCcXg

I use a laser on ALL of my carry guns. I activate the laser as I am drawing the gun and if the laser does not come on I just continue raising the gun until the iron sights are aligned.

The above YouTube video shows me using a laser equipped S&W BG38 to put 5 rounds of +p .38 special on target in under 4 seconds.

Mark

Hmmm...lasers...I've shot revolvers for over 50 yrs now, and I've got to admit, that as a training aid they help...they'll teach you some things about your trigger control, both SA and especially, DA, that you didn't suspect. And they'll help identify how your grip interacts with your trigger manipulation.

And on a revolver, that's hard to mount night sights of the tritium type, it may be a god-send, in a night time household confrontation. YMMV Rod

Not when drawing from a holster, just saying.

Until you master the trigger, drawing and shooting is like putting the cart in front of the horse.

A penny on the slide will tell you if you are anticipating the recoil, but does not give the same feed back as a LaserLyte training round.

Nope, but it does tell you when your trigger discipline sucks and is a lot cheaper. Ask a pro shooter how much they dry fire.

Code:
Until you master the trigger, drawing and shooting is like putting the cart in front of the horse.
\

Well First things first then... Gotta have a good grip to start with ;)

Well First things first then... Gotta have a good grip to start with
Absolutely. It this day and age of all the tactical shooting schools everyone wants to run before they can walk.

I've tried 2 different types of lasers and never felt that I was able to obtain the control and speed that I learned in shooting action competition. The thing I like about laser sights is that when your at a indoor range you can see who should and who shouldn't be allowed to have a loaded gun just by following where their loaded guns are pointing.:eek:

Gotta' agree with the age thing. I learned and mastered the trigger and sights at a younger age, when my eyes were still good. Now that I'm older ,I remember all the trigger control, but just cannot focus the front sight and maintain as good a sight picture as I used to. I find with good overall habits already learned, the laser can be held on the target very well.

We trade weapons at the range. Consistently, those shooting a P229 are less accurate with the laser than the iron sights.

No idea why, but very few shot better with the laser.

Back