Not that we're being stigmatized, or anything....

Since therwe could be a serious problem with Y2k coming up, extra ammo is a excellent idea. For each handgun i would recommend 1000 rounds and for each centerfire rifle at leasat a 1000 round s for each weapon. Probably a 1000 rounds for each shotgun you have:mixed between shot loads and buckshot or slugs. I think 10,000 rounds of 22 is good if you have,lets say, 2 22 rifles and one pistol. And maybe more would not hurt for trading purposes if power goes down in your area. Jim Lord at his website has a leaked government Navy Document that has the cities that will have Y2k problems. The site is :http://www.jimlord.toSecretSurvey.cfm Better check it out. when you do you might want to increase your ammo.

I'm going to back up Ivan on his last post:

This is from the Washington Post, it may not last so I'll post the article
http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WAPO/19990819/V000093-081999-idx.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Navy Predicts Widespread Y2K
Failure

By Ted Bridis
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, August 19, 1999; 7:27 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Navy report predicts ``probable'' or
``likely'' failures in electrical and water systems for many cities
because of the Year 2000 technology problem -- an
assessment more dire than any other made by the
government.

President Clinton's top Y2K adviser, John Koskinen, called the
Navy's conclusions overly cautious, saying they assumed that
major utilities would fail unless proved otherwise.

The most recent version of the study, updated less than two
weeks ago, predicted ``probable'' or ``likely'' partial failures
in electric utilities that serve nearly 60 of roughly 400 Navy
and Marine Corps facilities.

The study predicted ``likely'' partial electrical failures, for
example, at facilities in Orlando, Fla.; Gulfport, Miss.; Fort
Lauderdale, Fla.; and nine other small- to mid-size cities.

It also predicted ``probable'' partial water system failures in
Dallas; Nashville, Tenn.; Houston; Baton Rouge, La.;
Montgomery, Ala; Tulsa, Okla.; and 59 other cities.

The study forecast likely partial natural gas failures -- in the
middle of winter -- in Albany, N.Y.; Fort Worth, Texas;
Pensacola, Fla.; Charleston, S.C.; Columbus, Ohio; and
Nashville.

The military report contrasts sharply with predictions from the
White House, which weeks ago said in a report that national
electrical failures are ``highly unlikely.'' The White House
report also said disruptions in water service from the date
rollover are ``increasingly unlikely.''

Koskinen, who vouched for the authenticity of the Navy report,
noted that all its worst-case predictions for failures were
marked as ``interim'' or ``partial'' assessments.

``It's not nearly as interesting as the world coming to an end,''
said Koskinen. ``The way they worked was, until you have
information for contingency planning purposes, you ought to
assume there was a problem.''

The Year 2000 problem occurs because some computer
programs, especially older ones, might fail when the date
changes to 2000. Because the programs were written to
recognize only the last two digits of a year, such programs
could read the digits ``00'' as 1900 instead of 2000,
potentially causing problems with financial transactions, airline
schedules and electrical grids.

The Navy report was first summarized on an Internet site run
by Jim Lord, a Y2K author, who said he obtained it ``from a
confidential source of the highest reliability and integrity.''

``The military has to work from the worst case, but so do
we,'' Lord told The Associated Press on Thursday. ``It's
reprehensible for them to know this and keep it from us.''

Koskinen said the Navy wasn't withholding information from
anyone, noting that the continually updated report was
available until recently on a Web site maintained by the
Defense Department.

``The last people in the world the department is going to
keep information from is their own people,'' Koskinen said.
``In fact, the whole purpose of the exercise is to make sure
they can provide appropriate information to servicemen on
their bases and their families.

The report was pulled off the Web site two weeks, Koskinen
said. Neither he nor Defense Department officials offered any
reason why.

© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press[/quote]

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I got caught by my coach with a little Bayard 5shot autoloader in the 9th grade while I was changing for gym. Went straight to the principals office. He wouldn't let me have it back until after school and I was told to never bring a gun to school again for any reason, ever.

I had swapped for it and had brought it in to
show to my shop teacher to get a clue on how some of the machining was done, cause I could not figure it out.

I felt terrible and I never brought another gun to school, ever.

Thankfully, he didn't call my folks, I would have been in a world of hurt, although my shop teacher may have been able to bail me out.

This was Atlanta, early 70's.

Man, this is soooo stupid. If you don't reload,the only way to practice economically is to buy in bulk, i.e. ten boxes or more. So if you stock up enough for more than a couple of trips to the range (500 rounds is good for 2-3 trips maybe), you're threat to society? I had no idea.

Or, like wow,, now I'm an aresenal, which means I'm, like, a world power? Koo-well, doood. (Don't tell my wife). Tee hee.
M2

M2,

You could always test that theory: send a telegram to the State Dept demanding "state-to-state" relations. ;)

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

Mike-

You have my deepest sympathy <teehee> for having to hide purchase of 500 rounds from your wife. My wife recently asked me (sweetly) to buy her another 5000 rounds.

Yall will get a kick out of this. When I was in middle school, I took guns to school for show and tell. Cant remember what age(12 or 13),but it wasn't given a second thought. I think they were a Russian SVT40,which someone brought him after the war. A 10ga double gun, and a Thompson copy(cant remember the maker). In the school parking lot, nearly every truck had a full gun rack. Can you imagine that now? Its horrible how much this country has changed sense then and Im only 33. m16

Yall will get a kick out of this. When I was in middle school, I took guns to school for show and tell. Cant remember what age(12 or 13),but it wasn't given a second thought. I think they were a Russian SVT40,which someone brought him after the war. A 10ga double gun, and a Thompson copy(cant remember the maker). In the school parking lot, nearly every truck had a full gun rack. Can you imagine that now? Its horrible how much this country has changed sense then and Im only 33. m16

Mike in VA:
You bring up another excellent bit of Irony: If you are proficient with firearms, and/or worse yet, maintain proficiency through regular, intensive practice, you are a "dangerous person," and "kind of off-base." You would think that the IMPROVEMENT of your skills as a shooter would be appreciated, but in fact, the only thing that scares a lot of these people more than a person firing indiscriminately into a crowd is a man deliberately firing selectively at targets he deems a threat.

(rant)
We have come into a time in which mere ability is viewed as dangerous. How far is this from the assumption that ability toward higher thinking is viewed as a potential danger to the stability of society? (Of course I ask this academically; my level of thought falls somewhere between "slow" and "pipe wrench".) Lack of "normalcy" would, of course, be a danger. Whatever happened to "Celebrate Diversity!"?? Maybe I'll have to buy a rainbow sticker to be taken seriously...! (grin)
(/rant)

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited August 21, 1999).]

I enjoy reloading my own ammo almost as much as shooting it.

I have about 45000 rounds of ammo all together

------------------
"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
- Patrick Henry

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

ICQ no. 46780559

Marsh - It's not that bad, she already thinks I have an arsenal, it's just that having to get a license would subject me to some serious ribbing and a bunch of "I told You so . . ."'s that I could do without. She's actually coming around, after explaining that it's an economic thing (she's of a thrifty bent), and certainly doesn't regard me as a threat to anyone.

Longpath - point well taken. The last time someone made an anti-CCW crack in my presence I asked what was their problem? I pointed out that I have a permit and also that I have taken several safety and practical shooting courses, continue to read and study gun laws, ethics of lethal force, and tactics, and I go to the range at least monthly (twice monthly when I can) - basically that I take my responsibilities as a gun owner seriously. He said what about all those shootings, to which I responded "have any of those people been identified as permit holders?" "Well, uh, no" So I asked again, 'what is your problem with CCW - we're among the most law abiding segments of society -' No answer, just stammering. I let it go at that point because I'd made my point, but geez, whata maroon! It is all emotional, they're just afraid of anything and everything - they wouldn't know a real threat if they saw one.
M2

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited August 22, 1999).]

I guess all of us get a little ribbing. When I got my Colt Sporter and 1,000 rounds of ammo for Christmas my senior year of high school, I took a lot of flack from cousins (back then the random shootings were limited to McDonalds). Guess where they said I was going to wind up with my Christmas gift ;). By the way, things have changed a lot in a short period of time. I remember my senior year getting to fire my Ruger 10/22 with blanks in it for a production our class put on in front of the entire school. Think that could happen now?

I understand that under the "arsenal permit"
regs, a primer is considered a round, ergo $17 worth of primers without a $300 permit makes you a criminal.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Longpath,

Do you have that 68 GTO w/ the 454? My dream is to have a 69 Goat convertible, only about 100 or so of 'em made... Driven one before and it was a rush! (Too bad it was an automatic tho...)

As far as us bein' stigmatized, I'm used to it. Been "differnt" all my life and was ridiculed for it growing up. I'm used to it and I don't care anymore!

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

Darthmaum: I've never even ridden in a Goat! But it was sort of the King of muscle cars, having sort of started the trend, and thus made a pretty good analogy, don't you think? :)

Ah, you new guys. '68 Goat is looking at a 389, not a 454, tri-power setup and positrac and you're in business. At least until you run into a goofball like me, running a Charger with a 440 that still enjoys spitting out Goats.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how many .223 I have, at least two unopened cases of milspec, some steel core, and probably 750 reloads some nice company sent me by mistake (how convenient!). Other stuff needs restocking, probably 150 .40 S&W, around 50 .41 Mag and .38, maybe the same .380. Oh, yeah, and some 600-odd .308.

Take me away, I guess. Obviously violence prone, heck, the fact I don't lock my house is probably just meant to INVITE innocent children in so I can blast them, don'cha think?

Considering how incredibly stupid gun-grabbers are in general, how come they're doing so well, getting so much attention?

Larry P.:

Man, we're on the short list for sure. High performance cars AND semi-automatic firearms, two signs of the Apocalypse according to the liberals! I prefer my high-octane fun with a blue Ford oval, but Mopar guys always have my respect. My cousin is a nut for early Barracudas, I helped him build a fire-breathing slant-six that'll embarass most Camaros. A fellow that does my engine machine work found a homely Dodge pickup with a 440 under the hood, he uses it to embarrass the rich kids in daddy's Corvette!

My Galaxie Starliner has wet weather traction problems (darn that 427), so I've taken to leaving two of those wooden crates of .223 or 7.63x39 ammo back there. Works like a charm!

I love the smell of an overcarbureted engine (mixed with gunpowder smoke) in the morning!

Back