Not new to guns, but pretty new to concealed carry

I have a bunch of .45 ball ammo that's packed in 20 round cardboard boxes marked "20 Cartridges, Pistol Ball, Caliber .45 M1911, Ammunition Lot W.C.C. 1032, Western Cartridge Company".

The headstamps are FA32, meaning this stuff was manufactured in 1932.

It was given to me by a retired Army Major in the early 1970s. He'd stored it in his attic. In Tucson. Most of the time I've owned it, it's been stored in garages or attics in AZ, SD and FL. Temps ranged from -20 to +120 or more.

Now to my point. In 2008, I ran 5 rounds through one of my 1927 Argentine Colts and chronographed the results. I got an average of 842 fps and a Standard Deviation of 12!

Somehow I don't think leaving your ammo in the car for a few months is going to be a problem!!

Alexander, I am glad you post your "dumb questions" because one, some of us don't even know to ask them. Or two, it means we don't have to ask.:)

Japle
I have a bunch of .45 ball ammo that's packed in 20 round cardboard boxes marked "20 Cartridges, Pistol Ball, Caliber .45 M1911, Ammunition Lot W.C.C. 1032, Western Cartridge Company".

The headstamps are FA32, meaning this stuff was manufactured in 1932.

It was given to me by a retired Army Major in the early 1970s. He'd stored it in his attic. In Tucson. Most of the time I've owned it, it's been stored in garages or attics in AZ, SD and FL. Temps ranged from -20 to +120 or more.

Now to my point. In 2008, I ran 5 rounds through one of my 1927 Argentine Colts and chronographed the results. I got an average of 842 fps and a Standard Deviation of 12!

Somehow I don't think leaving your ammo in the car for a few months is going to be a problem!!

I don't doubt what your saying. Ammo is very stable for what it is. I have powder and primers that are 20 years old. I loaded some up this last year and they fired off with no problems. However, it is still a good idea, in my opinion, to try to keep your ammo in a relatively consistant temperature in a dry enviroment. Especially when it comes to defensive rounds. My opinion, others may very.

I leave mine in the pocket holster and put it with my wallet and keys up on a shelf. I never unload it - just leave it fully loaded.

holster sweated in ...

... all day.

If you have a holster that works for you; buy a second one and swap each day and may as well use a silicon impregnated rag on the exterior of the wapon.
Don't mean to snark -- its just that I live in Texas and I've already planned for a spare holster so I can swap from one to another after going out for my regular daily walks in Summer (trippple digit days are routine in July/August​
).

Alexander

[#1]I have reservations about unloading the gun every day and loading the same rounds over and over again. Isn't bullet setback a concern when you do this?
[#2]On the other hand it's not good to leave the gun sitting overnight in a holster you've been sweating against all day (I live in the South).
[#3]Would you feel safe leaving the gun loaded and transferring it from the holster to another storage place where it can "breathe" overnight?

Thanks for any help.
On #1, you should have reservations. Previous posts have addressed this.
Additionally, if you feel compelled to check for a round in the chamber a proper use of the "press check" is safe and will not cause set-back.
On #2, I agree.
On #3, yes. Just follow the safety rule about keeping your finger off of the trigger until your sight is on target.

Back