not gonna reload this!!!

Stability is all in the twist rate so you have see what it is and whats the good spot.

That said I tried some 125 flat base lead tips in my 7.5 target and I was getting some seriously credible groups in the 3/8 MOA area. Of course you have to flip them out at 2900 or so to do that (but takes a lot less powder)
Wow! that's pretty dang impressive, it's basically a lower BC flat-base form factor bullet proposition if you want any kind of range out of it in my experience. I did quite a bit of work with cavity back's 125 MKZ--so far the best bullet in terms of pushing really fast and maintaining acceptable distance performance IMO. The big problem is there's very little capacity to trade off for higher BC design; beyond that when pushing hotter loads my experience is generally it's "one and done" with the brass as far as reloading repeats are concerned. How are you getting 2900 fps? My loads at 2650 fps were pretty marginal in terms of "pushing the boat out."

The speed is what the book says and I do have a 24 inch tube on the 7.5 Target. Its a lot of speed
with that much lighter a bullet.

People have noted that their is zero advantage and maybe some accuracy gain at 100-300 with flat base. I will play with it more. Even the 06 was getting under 5/8 with that bullet.

I had a rebate and decided to see if my brother was right that they could be pretty accurate.

I won't get a chance to try them at 300 meters until this summer (or not up to flat out freezing to do it - the 300 meter range does not have heaters)

The I4350 was leaving smoky cases (pretty cool at 15 or so) I shifted over to H4895 in the same speed area to see if I can get that cleaned up. It might be ok in the summer but colder temps no. H4895 is more temp stable and noted for going low so will see the next range session.

I have 3 bolt guns chambered in 7.62X39 (Savage Scout, CZ and a Ruger American Ranch) and have killed hogs and coyotes with all 3.

Most people would be amazed at the accuracy you can get from a bolt gun chambered in the 7.62X39 with the factory steel cased ammo with gurouos crowding 1.5 MOA (if I do my part) being the norm in all 3 of my rifles so chambered.

That said, I’ve never hunted game with anything other than my handloads in the X39 and the 2 projectiles I’ve used the most have been Nosler 110 and 123 grain Varmageddon bullets.

Stacked on top of a stout charge of AA1680 they are extremely effective on light skinned game.

Pics of the Ruger:

Coyote shot at 80 yards with 110 grain Nosler Varmageddon at 2600 fps:

The good side.

The bad side.

The 7.62X39 ain’t no joke, especially when hadloaded using components to match the game.

yes, typically 1680, shooter's world blackout and CFE BLK give me the best results in 7.62 x 39. The other ones you mentioned work well--but I've found being stick powders you can't jam much of it into the case

tdoyka, I, too Like your plan!

Me - I'd reload for it, just because that's what I like do.
But your plan is solid and good w/o the reload.
Besides you may decide latter to try some handloads for it.

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting bolt action 7.62x39 for awhile. I have a couple of AK pattern carbines so have a ton of steel cases FMJ ammo for plinking fun.

Not real hot on the idea of building up a supply of cases for yet another rifle cartridge at this point. Has anyone tried pulling FMJ bullets from steel cased ammo and seating a quality bullet such as the Hornady SST? Make much improvement on accuracy? Any issues pulling and reseating in steel cases?

I am thinking something more like the Ruger American Rifle. Anyone have one in this caliber?

tdoyka, I, too Like your plan!

Me - I'd reload for it, just because that's what I like do.
But your plan is solid and good w/o the reload.
Besides you may decide latter to try some handloads for it.

i like it too!!!!
i've been thinking of 125 or 135gr cast boolits to reload it. i'm going get ten or twelve boxes of 123gr prvi round nose and a 1000 or 2000 rounds of wolf or tula ammo.

the prvi, i will shoot and i can handload the 125 or 135gr fn gc.

SST's

Hornady sells loaded, steel cased 7.62x39mm ammo w/ the SST bullet already. It is more expensive than typical import steel case FMJ/HP, but a bit cheaper than domestic brass cased ammo. You get a quality projectile, and a powder charge thrown and bullet seated by Hornady, which is likely more consistent than that of the import ammo I'm guessing. My understanding is they outsource the steel case from overseas. Dunno about the primer. I wouldn't think any "Mexican match" reload could be its equal.

I've not shot any of Hornady's steel cased SST ammo, but do reload the SST bullet in my Ruger bolt rifle in 7.62x39mm and my reloads are quite accurate, described in another post in this thread. I do a number of tweaks to milk accuracy out of the reload, but the SST bullet itself is likely a significant contributor to the improvement.

My cheap AK, nor my Mini30 , are accurate enough to see a significant improvement with the SST bullet, but the bolt rifle has responded well. Additionally, the SST bullet appear to expand very well and is a good killer, though we have just one deer to the load at this point (also posted in another thread a few years back)

Back