Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond Won't Feed

USAF Ret

Had an odd thing happen at the range today. Was doing some group testing with different types of 308 ammunition in a Christensen Mesa. I have three boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond. When I cycled the bolt, I could not get the bolt to go down. This is not after the shot, but could not get the bolt to go down to even shoot. Tried several bullets and the same thing. I thought maybe something had happened to my rifle. Tried two other kinds of ammo and they fed fine.

So, my buddy was shooting a Savage 110 Tactical. Gave him some bullets. Same issue. He could not close his bolt and his also fed other ammo fine.

The brass on the bullets we tried had huge deep scratches afterward.

Anyone ever run into this? Thoughts?

I sent a message to Nosler about the issue, because that ammunition is very pricey.

Def call Nosler. I don't shoot factory ammo much, but I've had that problem with under sized brass (scratches) or bullets that are too long for the throat. Most 308 ammo is no longer than 2.80 inches, so a ring around the bullet nose means too long.

I occasionally get problems like that when shooting ammo made to the upper end of tolerances used in chambers that are cut to match tolerances or close to them. Scoring of the case is pretty typical in those instances--or could be a sign roughness/debris in the chamber wall could be an issue, more common than people think.

I occasionally get problems like that when shooting ammo made to the upper end of tolerances used in chambers that are cut to match tolerances or close to them. Scoring of the case is pretty typical in those instances--or could be a sign roughness/debris in the chamber wall could be an issue, more common than people think.
Thanks, just had my rifle checked by my gunsmith using a go/no go tool. My rifle has the correct tolerance. It is definitely the ammo that is not within tolerance.

Left a message with Nosler to get a remedy. Also, luckily no damage to the bolt or rifle chamber.

You can download SAAMI specs for the cartridge and mic the ammo and see if its within spec, I'd hazard a guess that it most likely is, even if at the upper end. I'd look for the outside diameter measurements and see if they are within the +delta of the SAAMI spec. If you have a tight match chamber--or one cut close to it--it doesn't take much variance in the chamber wall to catch a cartridge and make it hard to chamber.

Some time back, I had a 223 rebarreled. My hand loads would not chamber. I had to call a neighbor to borrow a factory round to see if it would chamber, and it did. I measured the factory load and my reloads. As it turned out, the new barrel had a tight match chamber (which I had not requested, and didn’t know I had). I used Lapua brass, which had rather thick neck walls, and the reloads would not fit due to the neck. At first I turned necks to get the ammo to fit, but finally just had the chamber opened up slightly. Measure what fits and measure what doesn’t fit.

Quote "The brass on the bullet" Unquote Also "Tried several bullets and it was the same"

It helps to be precise with terms. The word "Brass" tends to make me think of cartridge case. A "bullet" is the projectile. I seems to be used ,in this sentence,to indicate "cartridge" rather than "bullet"

Bullet jackets would be copper,not brass.

With the context confused, I'd have to fill in with assumptions.

Quote "The brass on the bullet" Unquote Also "Tried several bullets and it was the same"

It helps to be precise with terms. The word "Brass" tends to make me think of cartridge case. A "bullet" is the projectile. I seems to be used ,in this sentence,to indicate "cartridge" rather than "bullet"

Bullet jackets would be copper,not brass.

With the context confused, I'd have to fill in with assumptions.
Cartridge. The brass was scratched. Bullet was not.

Cartridge. The brass was scratched. Bullet was not.
OK. That narrows things.
Initially I though "Short throat. Rifling contacting ogive" Now that is not likely.
The bullet is not engraved.

Some ammo chambers. Some does not. Its (probably) either a diameter interference or a length interference (head clearance). Do you have a calipers or mic? Compare diameters between the Go and No Go ammo. Particularly in the scratched area. Are the scratches broad scrapes or skinny lines?

Do you have access to a Hornady caliper attachment for measuring case head to "headspace datum" length? Or a Wilson Bushing type Cartridge Headspace Gauge? That will check the length that could interfere.

In tolerancing, there is a term "Maximum Material Condition" If we are talking about a bolt going through a hole, the fattest bolt is MMC,but if we are talking about the hole,the smallest hole is MMC .

Conversely, there is Least Material Condition,or LMC.

You may have a MMC gun. Folks tend to think "Tight" chamber is more accurate.

A company looking for an "Accuracy" rep might chamber/headspace tight (MMC)

Nosler MIGHT be leaning toward MMC ammo. Given ammo demand,production pressure might be 24/7 "Git her done"

I suggest measuring is the most direct path to answers.

Better than my guesses

So, my buddy was shooting a Savage 110 Tactical. Gave him some bullets. Same issue. He could not close his bolt and his also fed other ammo fine.

Same problem in two different rifles points to the ammo.

Contact Nosler, explain the problem, give them the lot# (code marking) on the ammo box(s) and tell them you want it replaced. They will give you instructions on how to proceed.

DO NOT do anything to your rifle hoping to get this ammo to fit.

And, just for clarity, from your description, you do not have a feeding problem, you have a chambering problem. Feeding is the round going from the magazine into the chamber. Chambering is the bolt closing (and locking) on the round in the chamber.
Good Luck,

I expect Nosler will give you instructions on how to send the ammo back to them, and then send you a replacement. IF that replacement ammo ALSO won't chamber that's a different problem, possibly. I suggest you write down and keep the lot#s of the problem ammo, so you can refer to it later and make sure the replacement they send you isn't from the same batch. It shouldn't be, but stranger things have happened.

Same problem in two different rifles points to the ammo.

Contact Nosler, explain the problem, give them the lot# (code marking) on the ammo box(s) and tell them you want it replaced. They will give you instructions on how to proceed.

DO NOT do anything to your rifle hoping to get this ammo to fit.

And, just for clarity, from your description, you do not have a feeding problem, you have a chambering problem. Feeding is the round going from the magazine into the chamber. Chambering is the bolt closing (and locking) on the round in the chamber.
Good Luck,

I expect Nosler will give you instructions on how to send the ammo back to them, and then send you a replacement. IF that replacement ammo ALSO won't chamber that's a different problem, possibly. I suggest you write down and keep the lot#s of the problem ammo, so you can refer to it later and make sure the replacement they send you isn't from the same batch. It shouldn't be, but stranger things have happened.
Thank you! I left a message with Nosler. Did not think about the LOT number. I will have that handy. Also appreciate the terminology. As we know today, words matter. Gunsmith checked my rifle, more for any damage. But, it was within specs. Think I am sticking to Norma for everything.

"So, my buddy was shooting a Savage 110 Tactical. Gave him some bullets. Same issue. He could not close his bolt and his also fed other ammo fine."

Did you measure the diameter of the bullets? It wouldn't be too awfully hard to to seat a .311" bullet in a properly sized .308 cartridge. Sure wouldn't hurt to check thst aspect out.
Paul B.

My experience with Nosler trophy grade was disappointing, I was lucky to get sub 2" groups at 100 yards (Kimber Hunter in 6.5).

They are charging premium prices and while the product may look pretty it isn't what it should be for the price. I'm curious as to whether the batch you got will chamber in a Nosler brand .308.

Well, Nosler got right back with me. They are sending me a shipping label to replace the ammo. I did ask if there was an issue with the lot batch. No reply on that.

My experience with Nosler trophy grade was disappointing, I was lucky to get sub 2" groups at 100 yards (Kimber Hunter in 6.5).

They are charging premium prices and while the product may look pretty it isn't what it should be for the price. I'm curious as to whether the batch you got will chamber in a Nosler brand .308.
I am just finding, as rifle shooters well know, some rifles are picky. My Marlin 30-30 shoots basketball size groups at 100 yards with Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain. Shoots 1.5" groups with 170 grain Federal Power Shok.

Norma groups good in every rifle I own, that I can find ammo for.

Had an odd thing happen at the range today. Was doing some group testing with different types of 308 ammunition in a Christensen Mesa. I have three boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond. When I cycled the bolt, I could not get the bolt to go down. This is not after the shot, but could not get the bolt to go down to even shoot. Tried several bullets and the same thing. I thought maybe something had happened to my rifle. Tried two other kinds of ammo and they fed fine.

The brass on the bullets we tried had huge deep scratches afterward.

Anyone ever run into this? Thoughts?

I sent a message to Nosler about the issue, because that ammunition is very pricey.
Send ammo back to Nosler.

I am just finding, as rifle shooters well know, some rifles are picky. My Marlin 30-30 shoots basketball size groups at 100 yards with Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain. Shoots 1.5" groups with 170 grain Federal Power Shok.
Federal's 150 fusion is very consistent out of my marlin.

Back