nosler balistic tip?

I personally have had very good luck with the 165gr. Ballistic Tips.

Never had to track a deer, always DRT. Shots ranged from 30-300 yards.
Never found any of my bullets.

Hit small buck about 100 yards, slight quartering away. Good shot placement on the near side, blew out the whole front shoulder on the far side. Literally picked deer up, and threw him down. :eek:

Out of a 7mm Rem Mag

I have shot two does with hand loaded BT in 7mm Rem Mag and both deer went less than ten yards. Both shots have been near 50 yards. Both shots were once and done and the projectile exited the animal.

My load is a 150 gr BT, pushed by 61 grns of IMR 4831, out of once fired Remington Brass. Approx 3200 fps. Rifle is a Remington 700, 7mm Rem Mag.

First doe was out of a tree stand. Probably a 40 yd shot, and I was 20 feet up the tree. She was on the move being chased by an unshootable buck, yes we have those limits in Missouri, shot went in the neck and blew up the far shoulder. She dropped in her tracks and expired. There was no exit wound. (Corrected this hunt, my details were fuzzy.)

I hunt in Missouri. 7mm is way overkill for the brush we have, but my last shot on a doe was 60 yds up hill, on a forest road, while walking in for the afternoon hunt. Broadside. She got hit, spun 180*, ran 10 yds and expired. Exit wound was the easily 2.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches long. Tasty.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee
Well enough to where I'm aiming at those white throat patches under the lower jaw or the back of their head and I hit what I aim at.

I'm much the same, prefer to shoot them right behind the jaw just under the ear. Less meat damage and no blood hemmorage migrating under the skin to go rancid, if you like to hang them awhile as I do to ripen them up. After all, when it comes to beef, aged beef costs more, works with venison too.

I've loaded some many years ago for a 7mm Rem. Mag., light and fast as I believe it was a 130 grain. Harvested one deer during an antlerless only portion of the season here at about 70 yards just under the ear. It dropped instantly as they always do when you pop them there. I was kind of shocked when I got to it though because it had virtually decapitated the deer it was so explosive. Just a bit of skin and fur and ragged meat still holding the head onto the body. No need for that kind of damage, and I've not used them on deer since.

I realize that it was part my fault due to the bullet weight being a bit light for the caliber and the speed that I was pushing it, even still... yikes!
I also believe that the distance played a factor meaning that the BTs don't really come into their own as intended until they get out there a ways.

I will say that around that time I did load some of the 55 grain 6mm BT bullets for my 240 Weatherby that are honestly tipping a tad over 4,000 fps over a chrony. Though I've never done it yet, I would love to see what that would do with a coyote at a decent distance. Betting it would pick one up and flip it over a couple times before putting it back down. :eek:

Back