Norwegian Mauser 98 in .30-06

I stand corrected on 30,000 vs. 300,000 Wehrmacht troops in Norway in 1945, I'll type slower next time....still, these are not common rifles and when available, should be snapped up by the discerning collector. They were about $250 in 1990'ish, now nearly triple in nice condition.

The Russian Capture '98s, with all the mismatched parts, refinishing, etc., are the same bargain today.

My mother is from Oslo so pretty much I have been searching for Norwegian Mausers for many years. I have only seen 3 of them in person and I owned 2 of them. I sold my 'spare' Norwegian k98 last weekend at a gunshow. I'm guessing a decent Norwegian k98 should go for $500-$1000 depending on condition!

Attachments

• 100_1124.jpg
    100_1124.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_1125.jpg
    100_1125.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_1127.jpg
    100_1127.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 103
Thanks again for the info guys.

My dad is 100% Norwegian from South Dakota/Minnesota and he wanted it no matter the price so we bought it. Paid too much perhaps but as another said in the thread how often do you see them? To heck with it, life is short, my dad is old, and he wanted it - done deal. :o

Just scored a Norwegian Krag 6.5mm with Nazi occupation waffenamts and eagles as well. Paid far too much for it as well I'm sure but read above again if necessary.

My Dad, my boys and I will all be out shooting them soon and THAT is what it's all about.

Best,
Oly

Greetings all:
Thanks to those who posted info on the Norwegian 98K's. I've had mine for close to 25 years and was never aware of much beyond the fact they were re-issued by Norway. Between this site and a few others, I've been able to figure out quite a bit about my particular gun.

Mine is a 1937 S/42 (Mauser produced). As discussed, the original Wehrmacht number is marked out (mine by way of dashes through the original sn). The HAER stamp and new number sitting right above the original number. My rifle appears to have retained almost all the original parts, including the rear sight -- which another site stated were often not kept with their original rifles. The stock doesn't appear to have been messed with at all

I've not had much opportunity to shoot mine in a very long time (probably about 20 years) and I don't think I fired more than a box through it since I've had it. As I recall, it kicks pretty good!

Anyway, sorry to drag this thread up but wanted to say thanks to those who posted info. I'm not getting any younger and time is coming when it will be time to sell her off. It's nice to know these fine rifles have a loyal following.

Yes, they do!

Mine kicks like a mule with .30-06 ammo as well but it also shoots really well with the nearly new Norwegian barrel.

They seem to pop up on Gunbroker fairly regularly but not always in great shape. There's one on there now that's very mismatched and also import stamped and, as such, I'm not interested in it but the price has been coming down.

Let us know when it's time to sell it!

Best,
Oly

Hi Oly,
Probably within the next year or so, the rifles will start to go. Looking to trade down into a smaller house and reduce the amount of stuff I have. Depressing to think about but what can you really say when your rifles have sat idle for over 20 years? The 98K is my favorite. It even smells like a vintage military rifle should!

The others are an M1 Garand, G.33/40 (mismatched bolt, etc, although a complete and correct 1940 945 rifle), and lastly my CAR-15 which I bought new in 1981.

Another curious twist of history here is that the Norwegian Army was equipped with .45 ACP pistols at the beginning of the war and of course lost them along with the war. After the war they were equipped with leftover German pistols--Lugers. Original holsters were modified by adding the wire hangers so they could be used with American style web pistol belts.

The Norwegian Mausers are everywhere here... Because they are not original
and because they are so plentyfull they are not worth much..
You can get one for 90-200 USD with 200 being expensive.
The cheapest one i have seen went for 70 USD or something.
Ironically you must pay 75-150 USD in firearms application fees to get a hold of the rifle.

A lot of thees Mausers have over the years been modified to become hunting-rifles.
Before Norway found oil in the 70's, we were a poor nation and the Mauser
was a good and inexpensive rifle for the common man. The hunting-mausers
go for 250 to 500 USD. In later years, The Mauser action is often used as a
basis for cheep semi-longrange rifle rigs or as cheep alternatives for young
and unestablished people.

The Norwegian National Rail Administration actually used Mauser in their
trains. Each train had a Mauser and each driver had a his personal bolt.
The purpose of this was to put down any wildlife they hit and minimizing the
animals sufferings. All these rifles and bolts had to be fitted to each other
though. Not a easy job i think.

In the end there is nothing who has helped Norwegian hunting and shooting
traditions as the nazies leaving their Mausers for us.

Because of the good quality and precision in the action the Mausers in
Norway will have a long and wonderful life.

In Norway, Mauser is a household name.:D

Back