noob pheasant hunting/cooking questions

I don't soak them, I either put right in the pan or right to the grill. They are not a gamey tasting animal. Cut a small piece off and toss it in the skillet to taste it and see what you think. Maybe add a little butter and garlic to flavor it some.

I know growing up and hunting pheasant we always used #6 OR #4 shot. Once they were cleaned we always smoked them. A good hickory or cherry wood makes them taste great.

i thought it was pretty standard operating procedure to soak them to get the blood out??

Some might, I don't know. I just have never soaked them and they have all tasted good to me. I have yet to soak any wild meat. If it something I am not sure I am going to like, for example duck, I turn it into sausage. But I have yet to have a upland game bird that did not taste good right after cleaning or fresh out of the freezer. I rinse in cold water to get extra blood and feather or what ever else off then freeze or cook.

I used #6. It worked fine. Though a couple of the birds I only broke the wing and the dog did the rest. One of them I shot, it went straight down looking dead as a doornail, and then then when it hit the ground it ran like lightning. The dog caught it though.

Back