Non-gun stuff for gun maintainence, other uses....

The electronic parts cleaner works great. I save Hersheys instant chocolate containers, the large ones will hold lots of brass. Gladware (the disposable Tupperware) works great for this too plus you can see what's inside. I use Avery non-permanant labels on just about everthing that needs identified at the reload bench, work good under the hood of the car to record oil change mileage too.

I will definitely be using some of these ideas...
Mobil One synthetic?
Is that really reliable?

I've been sticking to packaged patches, q-tips, pipe cleaners. Dowels sound like a good idea.

Do you guys use anything other than newspaper to spread on the table/ground? I used to use an old t-shirt until it went through the wash once and it stank like crazy :barf:

Carpet squares...

make good bench mats, just don't try to use shag. Get the indoor/outdoor short napped ones. For catching the residual gun spray/brake cleaner use a 5 gallon plastic bucket 1/4 - 1/3 full of oil dry or fresh kitty litter.

CSOs Rock

IMHO, nothing beats Mobil One for gun oil. Old towels work a lot better than old tshirts for cleaning mats.

A large file for shaping the toothbrush handles into usable shapes for scraping or pushing things.

Ledbetter -

I have 8 tackle boxes already. For fishing. The shoeboxes are really just for confining stuff in the cabinets under the workbench.

Wait a minute...you weren't using those cheap K-Mart shoeboxes were you? :) :)

John

The next time you drop a small steel part (screw,spring, pin, etc) from a gun onto a carpeted floor and can't find it, try this. Get a 12" length of magnetic stripping and glue or nail it to an 18" long stick. Then just move it over the carpet in the area where you dropped the part. It finds the parts better, and faster, than I can.

Back