• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Non-Firearm Section?

Chaz88 said:
I gave up on most of those long ago...knife forums

I agree, I did it, too. And it was the best decision.

I like knives, I use them, and I'm in the cutlery industry. But even there I switched to kitchen knives. The "chest-thumping warlords" got to be a real pain after a few years.

Now, I don't mind a spirited and passionate debate. Heck, even amongst my peers we still debate carbon steel vs. stainless or folded, chisel grind vs. v-grind, etc. But we keep it to the slap-happy "Ford vs. Chevy" stuff most guys enjoy.

So as a knife guy I voted "no knives." And I'm afraid it's best.

Now, I don't mind a spirited and passionate debate. Heck, even amongst my peers we still debate carbon steel vs. stainless or folded, chisel grind vs. v-grind, etc. But we keep it to the slap-happy "Ford vs. Chevy" stuff most guys enjoy.

Just reading that makes me want to hijack this and start a friendly debate with a knowledgeable individual.:) But... I will leave it at that.:(

Chaz88 said:
Just reading that makes me want to hijack this and start a friendly debate with a knowledgeable individual.

Well, if the parameters were tight, and the mods gave the okay (and we acted like adults) I'd like nothing better.

The problem is that it takes an adult with self-control to know the difference between his 'feeling' and actual history or performance.

Give you an example. In many knife forums you could actually initiate the worse flame war by simply saying "I like Microtechs." Within moments some kid would feverishly type in--usually in all caps--"Why do you hate Spydercos?" And the rant was on. No thanks.

And then you have the survivalist whackos repeatedly trumpet about every tactical knife on the planet for their rigorous mall experiences.

I've heard it all. Yikes, they cut a guy in half on "CSI, Miami" last night. I expect the sales of 50 dollar katanas to mushroom by noon today.

Chaz88 said:
Just reading that makes me want to hijack this and start a friendly debate with a knowledgeable individual.

The Tourist said:
Well, if the parameters were tight, and the mods gave the okay (and we acted like adults) I'd like nothing better.

That brings up another point....

We already have a forum wherein interested individuals can discuss anything that they'd like. They can even restrict the conversation to as few, or as many, individuals as they see fit. Besides that, the topic originators are the actual Moderators of each new topic!

It's called Private Messaging.;)

peetzakilla said:
It's called Private Messaging.

Yes, I know. The problem is that a vast membership might be left unaware of some new useful advances.

Let's suppose my favorite knife company Graham Brothers--who may not be commonly known cutlers--come out with a new revolutionary knife made in CPM-Tourist-CM.

This new invention might be just the ticket for not only hunters, but sailors, wilderness campers and working cowboys.

However, because it's better for this forum as a whole to rigorously control avid trolls--and I know they exist on this matter--we all lose out.

It's a fine line, and I'm troubled that it exists. On this matter, however, tighter control is necessary.

This new invention might be just the ticket for not only hunters, but sailors, wilderness campers and working cowboys.

However, because it's better for this forum as a whole to rigorously control avid trolls--and I know they exist on this matter--we all lose out.

It's a fine line, and I'm troubled that it exists. On this matter, however, tighter control is necessary.

There is no restriction under current rules preventing you from posting such information. The only difference is that there's not a "knife" forum. You simply have to choose if the information will be most readily visible to the most interested people if you post it under "The Hunt" as a reference to hunting knives, or "Gear and Accessories" as a generally useful item all-around.

"Based on past history, sooner or later another moderator will wander by and say something like "This is a FIREARMS board. Having forums on non-firearms topics would be like [insert inappropriate body part] on a [insert incongruous animal]! Not gonna happen!! The next thing we know, you'd all be clamoring for a gaming forum! ""

You forgot "If you don't like it, you're certainly welcome to find another home on the net and shake the dust of this board from your shoes."

Let me share something with you all that I shared with the rest of the staff during discussions on this subject.

Question from another mod to me:

"Are there dedicated boards that handle any of the topics that would fit in the proposed forum much better? Of course there are, bladeforums immediately comes to mind. But is there no room for discussion of those same topics on TFL?"

My response (in part):

"As far as I"m concerned, there isn't. This is, first and foremost, a FIREARMS forum. It has been since its inception, and it has been by purpose and design. It is one of the VERY few "firearms" forums on the net whose focus isn't scattered amongst a bunch of ancillary disciplines and unrelated subjects, resulting in unfocused messes. After more than a decade of web surfing, I've run through more than my fair share of crap "firearms" forums, forums with little to no focus, scattered purposes and messages, and no cohesion amongst the members. Yet I'm still at TFL because its focus has remained sharp and its member direction hasn't been blowing with the latest prevailing wind."

That narrow focus is, I feel, the primary reason why TFL has been the long-term success that it has been as opposed to many other forums that have started up and folded over the years. I, personally, don't want to see that change.

i agree. i'm sure everyone here is a fan of knives, archery is also popular and with the advancements in air guns they are not just for kids anymore.

It's not clear what you agree with, rickyjames. Is it the suggestion to create a non-firearms forum or the firm decision to not create one?

Back