• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Non-Firearm Section?

Maser

I know this is a forum for firearms, but I think it's safe to say a good majority of TFL members (myself included) are also involved in non-firearm shooting. Such as airguns, archery, knife throwing, etc. I was thinking maybe a section dedicated to them may be a good thing for this forum.

Some of the gun related threads devolve or evolve, depending on how you look at it, into totally non gun related topics. Maybe there could be a place for those conversations to move to.

I agree. I'm a knife guy, and I think most of the guys I hang around with have folding knives clipped to their jeans.

I've seen such columns deteriorate. If the concept of "gun related edged tools" was tightly monitored and promoted, I don't see a problem.

And, I've never owned an air-gun, it might be fun to read about.

I like the idea of an airgun, knife, and archery sections to the forum. I am not an archer but I am always willing to learn about something new.

We already have sections that are appropriate to all of those things.

"The Hunt" routinely has threads that are archery related.

"Gear and Accessories" routinely has threads about knives and other such items.

I've seen multiple threads about airguns too.

Personally, I don't want any more diversity.

Peet assassin,
Air rifle posts are all over the place... Gen Dis, Rifle and hunting all get them...
Problem I find, is I am not so inclined to always look at the rifle section as I am not so interested in the high volume traffic since I am not really into C-fire rifles like I am hunting and shotguns. But if I see an air rifle thread I check it to see if I can be of help.
Brent

peetzakilla said:
Personally, I don't want any more diversity.
I don't think you have much to worry about, PK.

Based on past history, sooner or later another moderator will wander by and say something like "This is a FIREARMS board. :mad: Having forums on non-firearms topics would be like [insert inappropriate body part] on a [insert incongruous animal]! Not gonna happen!! The next thing we know, you'd all be clamoring for a gaming forum! :barf:"

:D

Although I think, m'self, that an airgun forum wouldn't be stretching the point all that much... ;)

Considering the forum and our interests, wouldn't all products be related?

I can see a thread on deer knives, but I doubt if there would be much traffic in discussing whittling knives.

As for air-guns, I see that as a legitimate hobby.

I could see an airgun forum, except that I'm a little afraid that it would be filled with bored 8 year olds looking to "soup-up" their $39 Crossman.

If it were restricted to high(er) powered and big-bore hunting air guns then it would probably be worth having and informative. Policing it might be an issue though.

For those who wanted a non-firearms forum, I have some bad news - the decision is to not add one.

We gave the suggestion considerable consideration and debated it all yesterday and today. We feel that a non-firearm weapons forum would change the focus that has practically been the trademark of TFL from day 1, and that is that TFL is the foremost forum for the advancement of responsible firearms ownership. TFL is "simply the Finest Firearms Forum on the internet" as Rich has said more than once on these pages.

Sorry for those who got your hopes up, but you have to realize that TFL cannot be the be-all and end-all forum for any and all peripheral topics broadly related to firearms. We have to stay focused. There are numerous forums on the internet that cover edged weapons, archery, etc., much better than a single catch-all forum could do here at TFL even with a few sub-forums under it.

I knew it was futile

Resistance is futile TFL will assimilate you!:eek:

I liked the idea because it would be nice to talk to the same people on other topics. Also I can't keep up with multiple forums.

I might as well chime in again so the TFL Staff don't think this was a "drive-by".

Anyways, I'm not happy with the outcome, but am pleased the Staff spent 2 days discussing it. I shows it was a legit idea. I know we could go to other sites to discuss non-firearms, but that would mean we would have to get to know the entire new community and it's mentality. None the less, the powers that be made their decision and I thank them for hearing us out.

Just as a gratuitous shoutout to the Mods. I was reading another forum and realized what a fantastic Moderating staff we have.

I gave this some thought last night, and I have to admit the decision was probably in our best interest.

Oh, if I have some pertinent and useful info on new knives--and I write it in an adult fashion--there is no doubt that the mods will allow a discussion in the "Gear" section.

But I have to tell you, I quit going to many forums over the past year, in fact, I just got a PM about that.

I don't know why, but there is a very unhealthy situation going on in knife and bike forums. Sort of a "frathouse" attitude. It's been attracting "an element." So much so that one forum owner I know hunted down and invited us older guys to come to his forum, and he created a knife section for us. It is hidden from view unless you are specifically invited to join that area.

Sadly, it is needed. And I reluctantly admit that as a 'knife guy.'

peetzakilla said:
I could see an airgun forum, except that I'm a little afraid that it would be filled with bored 8 year olds looking to "soup-up" their $39 Crossman.

If it were restricted to high(er) powered and big-bore hunting air guns then it would probably be worth having and informative. Policing it might be an issue though.
I can see it now... it would be an "adults only" forum, and you'd have to swear you were over 21 to get access to it. Air gun nastiness... I like it.

But you couldn't restrict it just to high-powered and big-bore air guns... what about my R7?? My IZH46?? After all, size isn't supposed to matter... :p

Oh, well... :(

Tourist, that's interesting -- and sad -- about other forums going downhill that way. And it's yet another reason to appreciate the job done by the moderators here.

very unhealthy situation going on in knife and bike forums

I gave up on most of those long ago, and on some knife forums mostly dedicated to forging of knifes. Because of the rampant un-moderated nastiness from some people. Keep up the good work TFL!

Back