Non-1911 single stack, full sized .45 ACP pistols...recommendations?

“West Germany” marks a specific period in the history of Europe.

I was there in the later 70s. Without exception, from old to young, every German I spoke with on the matter had about the same thing to say.

"there is only one Germany. This East/West thing is just temporary.."

Turns out, they were right...;)

The FEG G45 is one, but FEG is out of business and the gun is an orphan; none of the gunsmithing suppliers like Sarco or Numrich have anything for it.

why is that interesting? That's where the gun was made. They are not Swiss pistols, they were made in West Germany.

Remember the time frame here. Late 70s. I bought my BDA in 1980 (for $369+tax) brand new and the store threw in two boxes of Federal 185gr JHP ammo (GREAT STUFF!!)

At the time, Swiss law prevented export of SIG (Swiss) arms. SIG went into partnership with JP Saur & Sohn of W.Germany, creating SIG-SAUER. The Swiss (SIG) provided the designs, tooling and some expertise, the guns were made in W.Germany and so could be exported around the world, not being a violation of Swiss law. (That law has since changed).

Browning bought about 5,000 some odd .45acps, a couple thousand 9mms and a few hundred .38 Supers, had their name put on them, and imported them into the US for sale. They are early model Sig P220s, but are not marked as such. They are marked "SIG-Sauer System made in W.Germany" and "Browning Arms Co Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q.

The plastic grips have "Browning" on them, the wood grips do not. There is no model name or number marked on my pistol.
I’m guessing he finds it interesting as there no longer is a “West Germany.”

A few years ago I picked up a used Smith 4506-1.

Love that handgun.

It's marked HPD, and I'm pretty sure that that means it was used by the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Police Dept.

They issued the 645 and 4506 for quite awhile.

I was there in the later 70s. Without exception, from old to young, every German I spoke with on the matter had about the same thing to say.

"there is only one Germany. This East/West thing is just temporary.."

Turns out, they were right...;)
Additionally interesting because my H&K P9S and Walther PPKs, made/ bought in 1978 - 79, just said, Made in Germany. Perhaps Sauer was a little more anti-communist or less optimistic.
A late, great friend, a retired Major General, was a fresh, butter bar lieutenant in the late 50’s, and was in the first US occupational force to caravan across East Germany and set up in West Berlin. At the time they thought WW 3 would be any day now. They used to pick a couple junior officers (expendable) put them in a staff car, and they would go through Checkpoint Charlie and drive around East Berlin just to make the Reds crazy and scramble around to follow them. He was never sure if they wouldn’t disappear.

I love my 1911, but I've been looking really hard at an HK45 (10 round magazine), which I shot surprisingly well, or the compact version that has an 8 round magazine and is lighter than my 1911.

Both are less than $1,000 and you can get them with a threaded barrel if you want.

Definitely worth consideration.

I was poking around in my safe today putting the dehumidifier back in (one of those plug in to dry it out ones) and pulled the 4506 out for a little handling session.

Good grief I like that gun!

Another fan of the Sig P220 here. For what it's worth, I really think you can't go wrong with one.

--Wag--

Curious as to what you ended up with? I own both the Sig P220 and a Ruger P345. Yes, the Sig is "nicer" but I'll tell you what - that Ruger will shoot with almost all of my 45's, including a lot of 1911's and others and the Ruger is darn sure a lot easier on your pocket book! It's a typical Ruger - nothing fancy but it's well made, accurate and reliable. The "big three" in my book!

Back