Non-1911 single stack, full sized .45 ACP pistols...recommendations?

peacefulgary

I'm looking for a non-1911 .45 single-stack full sized pistol.
Preferable less than $1K or at least close to that figure.

Thanks in advance.

Try a Ruger P97DC if you can find one. They are totally reliable, accurate and built like a tank. I’ve owned mine for 20 years and wouldn’t ever part with it.

I’d take the Ruger P-90 over the P-97. The P-90 is an aluminum alloy frame and it’s a well-built beast.

But over the Ruger offerings I would choose the S&W 4506. The 4566 if you want a slightly shorter top end. These are both steel frame.

SIG P 220.

I've had a Browning BDA .45 since 1980. This is the the early SIG 220 with the heel clip release.

It's light, mine had always fed everything flawlessly, mine is accurate, sights ar basic "combat" type but large enough to see easily, with a white post rear and white dot front. DA with a decocker, and no safety lock.

I think its the best non-1911 pattern gun you find in .45acp.

Ruger makes reliable pistols, but they don't fit my hand very well.

I'm another advocate of the Sig P-220.

Decocker, double action first round, but with a hammer spur so you can cock it if you prefer single action.

Large frame pistol, true, but fits my hand well and comes with Sig Tritium Sights. It is the most inherently accurate .45 ACP pistol I've ever fired - and that includes my 1911s. Can't really explain why, but thats the case.

Honestly after owning a CZ 97, Sig 220, Tanfoglio Witness, 1911 and Glock 21sf, I'd have a hard look at something like an M&P 45, despite you wanting a single stack.

not top of my list, that would go to Tanfoglio, but Sig 220 Match Elite is one of my favorites. Not made now, for what reason only Sig knows.

I'd have a hard look at something like an M&P 45, despite you wanting a single stack.

Ditto.

While technically a double stack the 10 round magazine makes for a very manageable grip size. Better than a lot of single stack mags holding 7-8 rounds. And you can get an extended 14 round magazine. They aren't practical for carry, but for home defense are a viable option.

SIG P 220.

I've had a Browning BDA .45 since 1980. This is the the early SIG 220 with the heel clip release.

It's light, mine had always fed everything flawlessly, mine is accurate, sights ar basic "combat" type but large enough to see easily, with a white post rear and white dot front. DA with a decocker, and no safety lock.

I think its the best non-1911 pattern gun you find in .45acp.
I bought a late 1980’s Browning BDA (SIG220) back in March of this year. Paid $800 total, which includes 15% buyers premium, shipping and transfer fee. It is everything 44 AMP says, great pistol. As a history buff, I find it interesting that it says, “Made in West Germany” on it.

The Ruger P-90, and P-97 are good guns. The P-90 is really accurate, but is big.
I'll agree with the Sig 220, they are great 45s. Good grip size, and very reliable.

As a history buff, I find it interesting that it says, “Made in West Germany” on it.

why is that interesting? That's where the gun was made. They are not Swiss pistols, they were made in West Germany.

Remember the time frame here. Late 70s. I bought my BDA in 1980 (for $369+tax) brand new and the store threw in two boxes of Federal 185gr JHP ammo (GREAT STUFF!!)

At the time, Swiss law prevented export of SIG (Swiss) arms. SIG went into partnership with JP Saur & Sohn of W.Germany, creating SIG-SAUER. The Swiss (SIG) provided the designs, tooling and some expertise, the guns were made in W.Germany and so could be exported around the world, not being a violation of Swiss law. (That law has since changed).

Browning bought about 5,000 some odd .45acps, a couple thousand 9mms and a few hundred .38 Supers, had their name put on them, and imported them into the US for sale. They are early model Sig P220s, but are not marked as such. They are marked "SIG-Sauer System made in W.Germany" and "Browning Arms Co Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q.

The plastic grips have "Browning" on them, the wood grips do not. There is no model name or number marked on my pistol.

A few years ago, there were some great deals out there for the Smith M&P Shield in 45acp, and I bought one, after a friend insisted, I take his home and shoot it. I so impressed I bought one for myself, even though I am a hardcore 1911 guy and have been for 30 years.

I found the Shield to be very easy to shoot well, and it was or has been 100% reliable so far, so I keep it around, although I have a hard time reaching past my lightweight Commander 1911, most of the time.

I find it interesting because the divided East and West Germany only existed for 45 years. “West Germany” marks a specific period in the history of Europe.

Back