Nomenclature Question - Revolver vs. Pistol

An old discussion that, like most nomenclature questions has changed over time.

In the years before revolvers there were only pistols.

Once revolvers showed up, well things began to change some. Now you had to differentiate one from the other in casual conversation and written text.

With the appearance of the da revolver over a century ago, and it's growth and spread, the nomenclature issue grew. With the rise of the semi auto the questions and divergence grew as well.

We now had single shot pistols, single action revolvers and da revolvers as well as various types of self loading pistols.

Below is a picture which shows the covers of a few books dating back to the to 1945. It was in 1945 that Smith's classic "Book of Pistols and Revolvers" was published. in the book "Pistols" refers to semi autos. The other books are spread out over the next several decades. Nonte's two books shown divides the subjects by revolvers and semiautos.

There was no internet in 1945 or during the decades. Internet gun forums did not predate the late 1990s/early 2000s as I recall. So the divergence in the use of terms can't be blamed on "internet gun commandos". The use of the terms predates the internet.

You'll also notice that this forum and others have clear distinct sections for revolvers and pistols.

So I think that in the world there has been an evolution in the use of the terms...fueled by the divergence of types of handguns and the need to make clear what type handgun the speaker or writer is referring to.

tipoc

So I think that in the world there has been an evolution in the use of the terms...fueled by the divergence of types of handguns and the need to make clear what type handgun the speaker or writer is referring to.

I agree completely there has been an evolution. Where the main divergence is however, is, I think, fairly recent.

yes, we have been listing and identifying pistols and revolvers separately for a long time, as a matter of convenience. And in the distant past, it was generally understood that Revolvers were a subset of pistols. Different enough to list by themselves, but still pistols.

What is relatively "new" is the idea that revolvers are NOT pistols. I've read a lot of gun literature from the earlier years of the 20th century up through the 80s, and I don't recall ever seeing the idea that revolvers were not pistols brought up. Someone probably did, but it certainly was not common.

Colt's patent was for a "revolving pistol", and as far as I can see, if it was a pistol then, its still a pistol now.

No matter what the truth is, if you get enough people to use a term a certain way, it goes in the dictionary as "in common usage". Standard general language dictionaries don't care a bit about the accuracy of technical definitions, what matters to them is common usage definitions.

If you want a real can of worms, just look at how common dictionaries in print and online have mangled and created their own definitions for the terms "assault rifle" and "assault weapon".

Try this at a local gunatorium...hang a sign in the window that reads, "Giant Pistol Sale--All must Go!" Then put only Thompson Center Encores up for sale. I think a good many folks will be disappointed. Same if we put only revolvers up for sale.

Yep all handguns are pistols. But we need to be able to speak to each other with more precision than that occasionally. If some believe that revolvers are not pistols...well there are worse things. I see women wearing pajama bottoms at the grocery store and calling them pants.

tipoc

I don't distinguish between magazine and clip but then I am a mouth breathing knuckle dragger. They've been clips to me for well over 50 years, they're going to stay that way.

I honestly thought there was a distinction here. I thought a clip had to be empty before you could insert a new one but a magazine wasn't. That said, I fully admit that I have NO idea where I even got that idea from so I wouldn't be surprised at all if I am completely wrong! :D

But we need to be able to speak to each other with more precision than that occasionally.

This is the crux of the matter. We have two level of use in communication with nearly everything. Casual conversational use, and technical use.

There are many different terms used interchangeably in casual conversation, that are entirely separate things in technical conversations.

What's under the hood of your car? A motor? or an engine? No real difference in casual conversation, we all know what we are talking about, right?

Now, go to order parts, for your "motor", and you find the name used makes a difference.

With the clip vs. magazine terms, its the same thing. They are often used interchangeably in casual conversation. There are different technical definitions for each. And, the line is further blurred by specific designs that don't fit some of the definitions, and the fact that some manufactures use the common term clip for what are by other's definition, magazines, giving clip a legitimacy as the proper term in that case.

Common use of "Pistol" means semi automatic pistol (only) to a lot of people. To some of us, who are more involved with the technical side of things, semi auto is just one subset under the heading "pistol" So is 'revolver" and "single shot"

Back