Nobody Does it like Ruger?

44 AMP (not sure how to quote you in my reply),

I put 1911s and ARs in their own "category" just to further highlight the diversity of their offerings. We all know that the 1911 is a centerfire handgun, but it's a totally different bag of peanuts than a poly framed 9mm. A lot of companies (Glock, Walther, etc) have "centerfire handguns", but no 1911s. Similar answer on the AR, which is technically a centerfire rifle, but worlds different than a bolt/lever gun.

Make sense?

JW said:
A ton of people disagree with me, but I was never impressed with their semi-auto center-fires until the Ruger American Pistol, with the caveat it has a few small 'first generation' type issues.

I'm part of that ton. The P95 was a $300 or so 9mm pistol with a decent trigger, comfortable grip and reasonable capacity. I like P345s more than sig220s.

I like sigs, but the idea of carrying around a thousand dollar self defense tool doesn't seem right.

KB said:
Ruger has a ruff history in the shotgun world . Ruger is known is bring out shotguns and discontinue shotguns the same month .

Is that an accident or a marketing and manufacturing strategy? A couple of times over the years I've thought I wanted a Ruger something or other only to find that it isn't being made currently. So I check in to see if they've made another run.

In the early 90s, I could get chinese tins of 1440 rounds of 7.62x39 for less than $100. Ruger made a stainless all weather bolt action in that caliber for $300. I hesitated, and they were gone. I probably bought a half dozen Rugers since then while looking out for that one.

Maybe Ruger has dopes like me figured out.

I have always felt Ruger makes a damn good 80% gun. Its solid and accurate, but needs a bit of tweeking to be excellent. I have many Ruger products. I have had trouble with one, and it had to go back to Ruger. It was fixed correctly, and back in my hands in under 30 days.

Generally, my complaint is with the triggers. They are heavy, and gritty. Buy a new Ruger, have the trigger worked by a competent gunsmith, or a well respected drop in kit, and you will have a very good, very solid firearm, for the rest of your lifetime.

Are there better firearms? Yes. Are they in the same price class as Ruger? No.

My junk GP100 shot a 6 shot 2.1" group at 100 yards last week and consistently under 3.5" at 100 and 1.5" at 50.

weblance said:
Generally, my complaint is with the triggers. They are heavy, and gritty. Buy a new Ruger, have the trigger worked by a competent gunsmith, or a well respected drop in kit, and you will have a very good, very solid firearm, for the rest of your lifetime.

Amongst 22lr rifles, triggers seem much better than they were a couple of decades ago. The trigger on my Ruger American Rimfire purchased for my daughter was a reasonable weight with no discernable overtravel (it's their take on the Savage accutrigger/Glock trigger gizmo).

I can still remember the trigger on my first department store Marlin; I think it was modeled on a mile of bad gravel road.

The 10/22 has not bowed to this trend of better triggers. The last two I've purchased had stock triggers that were comically heavy. "If you are looking for a five pound rifle with an eight pound trigger, we have just the rifle for you!"

Maybe the plan for the BX trigger is to make that piece the stock trigger.

Maybe the plan for the BX trigger is to make that piece the stock trigger.

I think the plan is to jump heavily in to the accessories market themselves. They have missed utold millions in sales to second party makers.

Almost everything Ruger makes is "acceptable". I could use almost anything they make and get the job done, but someone else makes something "better" in every category.

Their centerfire bolt actions would come closest to being the best in class with their DA revolvers looking pretty good too.

I'm part of that ton. The P95 was a $300 or so 9mm pistol with a decent trigger, comfortable grip and reasonable capacity. I like P345s more than sig220s.
For me the P-series was an unrefined design that did not work well for me at all. They may have been $300 ten years ago, but that isn't the same as $300 today.

I can't believe anything to do with Ruger's shotgun fiascos is on purpose.

Rethinking my previous comment, the No. 1 may be the best in its class. At least as far as firearms anywhere close to the price point made last year, this year, and I expect to be made next year are concerned. I wonder if they could pull off a 12ga No. 1...

Rethinking my previous comment, the No. 1 may be the best in its class.

:confused:

The class of rifles based loosely on the Farquharson Rifle? Maybe, but for a real Farquharson they aren't even in the same ballpark. It like the difference between a Ford and a Rolls Royce.

The last true Gibbs-Farquharson rifle was delivered in 1910.
At least as far as firearms anywhere close to the price point made last year, this year, and I expect to be made next year are concerned.
Who consistently makes a similar production gun anywhere close to the price that is arguably equal in quality? There are some single shot switch barrels like the encore, but I don't think they compare well. Single shots, but the feel and look are much different.
I'd honestly like to know. I am planning to sell my TC 45/70 barrel and buy a No. 1. If there is another comparable production rifle I would like to check it out.

I have 2 Ruger revolvers and a 9mm LW 1911. I have a new Blackhawk Flattop convertible 45ACP/45 Colt and it's excellent. It comes with two cylinders one for each caliber. I have a Redhawk 45ACP/45 Colt that works great with 45 Colt, not well with 45ACP. It will fire 1-4 shots of 45ACP and then the cylinder will bind up and not rotate. If you hit it with your hand it will break loose and rotate. I've tried several different brands of ammo and Ruger and TK customs moon clips. Didn't make much of a difference. Several people sent their's in to Ruger and the service dept. never did get the issue solved. I figured I'll wait until next spring and send mine in, they may have a fix for it by then. 45 Colt shoot great in it. I bought it to do some load development with 180gr to 220gr loads. So I'm glad it works great with 45 Colt. I just bought a 9mm Ruger LW Commander for carry use. It's been terrific so far. Fired 150 rounds of 115gr. FMJ and 50 rounds of 124gr Gold Dots. Fired everything without any problems what so ever! Gold Dots are known to cause problems with semi-autos. No problems in the Ruger.

I had 2 original size Ruger Vaqueros year ago when I did Cowboy Action Shooting and they were terrific revolvers that never had a problem!

I'd honestly like to know. I am planning to sell my TC 45/70 barrel and buy a No. 1. If there is another comparable production rifle I would like to check it out.

Single shot rifles have gone the way of the dodo. However, check out the Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Hunter Rifle it is a nice repo in the same price range. Everything else will be crazy expensive.

Single shot rifles have gone the way of the dodo

Not totally; there are several folks who make a variety of Sharps, etc. that have long wait times. So, more like a semi to custom made.

Back