No pissing contests but what are the differences between the Kimbers and the Wilsons?

Who's making a recommendation. Surely there must be other quality smiths out there now that the late Mr. Bilby is no longer with us.

What I said still applies: a QUALITY independent gunsmith can do better than a "name" shop like Wilson, Baer, Brown, Clark because you are paying for the work, not the name.

Mr. Bilby was merely an example of one of these. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of his passing, but getting bent out of shape at the fact is over-reacting. The general point still stands. Please feel free to disabuse me of this at your convenience.

Wilson, Les Baer, etc... were all at one time independent
gunsmiths who took the challenge to be big. Les Baer says he looks at every gun that leaves his company.

This isn't rocket science its about quality. Wilson guarenntees his guns will shot 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards, Kimber doesn't.

I own a Wilson Millenium Protector with nite eys and armor tuff finish. Not the most beatiful gun out of the box, the quality of the work is more than acceptable. What the gun does do is work. Feeds everything and is more accurate than I am. I'd rather spend $1400 out the box than $700 only to spend it again to get it where the Wilson is.

The Kimber and Wison will work well at 7-10 yards but go 25 to 50 yards and you'll be glad you bought the Wilson!

Here's the way I looked at it. I wanted a compact .45 for concealed carry, the Kimber Ultra Carry CDP was everything I wanted, (probably more than I needed). I'm sure a Wilson is nicer, but for personal defense from 10 yards in, what are you looking for? I think the CDP is more than enough pistol to fill that roll.

I like the earlier post about the Chevy and the Rolls, I guess I'm saying the same thing. But you know how we are on TFL, .02 is everything :D

Dave

The Chevy vs Rolls is pretty good. Another way to look at it, The Wilson is finished when you get it, The Kimber is just starting. I've handled them both, but I own neither. Despite what anyone advises, it's just advice. Good advice granted. You're in a good jump-off place for info and opinions. Why not contact them both. Let the people you'll be invoved with help you. Regardless of what you decide, eventually, you'll be talking to a person. And dealing with a person. Call some different makers, see which ones THEY prefer to work with...In the end, unless you find the pistols and handle them,you'll still be where you are now...with a tough decision to make. Hell, you coild start with a plain jane and piece it together yourself if you like to tinker. Either way, the decision is just the beginning. If you catch the "bug" you'll be back in a couple months or so sayin', NOW WHICH ONE? The Brown or the Baer!

Good Luck and have Fun!!!

It's not really fair to compare a Kimber to a Wilson. But... I don't have a Wilson, but I do own a Baer and a Kimber. I can shoot the Kimber better. The Baer does feel great, don't get me wrong. But I can still shoot the Kimber better.

Of course, part of it may be the fact that I have shot the Kimber about 17,000 times more than the Baer.

It still shoots really well.

Casey

I own a Kimber Classic Custom

I started with an old 1911 built in 1943 (original parts in bag and new match grade parts added). Then later got off the bucks and bought a Kimber. Had it about a year now. After thousands of rounds it still shoots great. Took it to the range this past Monday (also checking out my new M27). There was a 4" rock on the bank 50 yards out. Got it on the second shot (no sandbag rest, but resting my hands on the bench). Made it jump again on the third. You do your part, the gun will do its part. Like said above, about the best production gun out there.

Back