No more CZ 527's

The loss of the remaining commercial mauser action rifles with the CZ 527 (mauser patterned) and CZ 550 is lamentable. Everyone should have a mauser type action in their collection. However, there are still plenty of used ones available.

I AM looking forward to the CZ 600, particularly the version with the bavarian style wooden stock. I like that fact that iron sights are standard, and I like the detachable box magazine. I like the 20 inch barrel length on the non-magnum versions - goldilocks: not too long and not too short. Plus the MSRP of 845$ is very appealing. If some in the shooting sports community are disappointed, then that's okay. It will be easier for me to obtain a CZ600 chambered for .233 remington, when it becomes available.

I'm always surprised when I see folks loving the 527. In my search for an accurate rifle capable of shooting both .223 and 5.56 I bought, tested and sld a 527 amongst all the other capable of both loads. Though I really liked how the rifle felt, and appreciated it's eastern block stamping and finish, my action was anything but smooth. When cycling the action I had to push directly in on the center of the bolt with my thumb. If I pushed from the bolt handle the bolt would resist moving forward to chamber a round. I also had to fiddle with the magazine, and sand some rough edges.
Did I get a dud of a 527, or do the guys that like these guns enjoy that tinkering?

The below video fixes the binding issue some users have:
https://youtu.be/2Wa1bTLk70Y

Mine worked fine for me, but my son and a friend would occasionally have binding issues, so I did the above fix on mine (in 7.62x39). Warning: Reassembling the bolt after putting the additional bend in the extractor is a huge PITA!

SeanC, I did the bend mod in the extractor, it still was a bit sticky. Eventually I found a better shooter and sent it on it's way.

The CZ 600 does have a detachable five round magazine, it presumably be locked to where the user can single feed the chamber

Am I correct to understand that they too have the set trigger option? Other than lacking the detachable mag they are very similar to the 527?

How’s the quality?
No, the M85 has no set trigger option. They are similar to the CZ, but not as refined or as well finished. They have an internal staggered box magazine. I like mine a lot, they shoot very well, but they are not well finished at all. The wood stocked ones are stocked in some mystery wood Zastava calls European walnut, but I have never seen pure white European walnut. Synthetic stocked rifles are in a foam-filled synthetic.

This thread still makes me very sad. I am trying to find someone that has either a new or used 527 FS somewhere!! I have found one or two online. So sad that they’ve been discontinued. I get it, new model, gotta stay fresh and attract new customers. But dang……

Back