No lever/bolt actions in .460 S&W?

In many cases the advantage is it is legal. It can also be easier to carry in a holster than a slung rifle over the shoulder, especially over rough terrain where both hands free is a blessing. I find any sort of climbing with a slung rifle to be a real pain. My opinion of course, and neither is perfect.

I have to admit the legal advantage had not occurred to me. In my area there is no separate season for handguns, just modern & primitive firearms. (and of course, a bow season).

I'm well aware of the advantages of even a large handgun over a short rifle for carrying, I have scoped 10" and 14" Contender set ups, so yes, I get that.

What got me was the weight. "pushing 9lbs" just seems extreme if not ridiculous to me. As he owner of several magnum semi auto pistols, which run between 4 and 5lbs loaded, I have heard endlessly from some folks about how they are too big and too heavy to be practical, etc., I can see the irony of me saying that about someone else's big pistol. ;)

Seriously if it works for you then its practical enough, right?

A friend of mine I visited today has some personal experience with the Big Horn Armory guns, and says they are extremely well made and worth the price. Also, they hold 6. I believe the big S&W .460 revolver is a 5 shooter??

I've owned my 12" 460 XVR for over a year and done quite a bit of varied bullet weight handloading and the problem with the 45 Cal bullets is the relative low BC. The Hornady 200 gr FTX is the benchmark standard "hyper" velocity bullet for the 460. Factory loads are about 2200 fps. If you run the ballistics the 200 FTX shoots incredibly flat out to about 175 yds but then really starts to drop like a rock thereafter. I really don't see any market advantage by offering a 460 MAG levergun. I'm sure there is those unique levergun shooters that would want that particular type but for the masses it just doesn't seem practical. With a Burris 3-12x optic I can hold about 4 moa shooting off a nice sturdy rest at 200 meters with my XVR.

Nine pounds is s bit more than any of mine and I thought about that. Once my encore went into the holster I didn't notice the weight. I think my heavies set-up was about 6-7 pounds though. I decided to give the benefit of the doubt that the extra two pounds in a good holster wouldn't make a difference. I would probably avoid being able to give a definitive answer from personal experience though.

The reason mine weighted in close 9lbs is because of how it was set up. It was a 10.5" Performance model with 3 steel Warn scope rings a Burris 3x12 scope and a steel Bi-pod. Great bench gun but shooting off hand was questionable at best.

I guess my natural question is why spend well over a thousand dollars on a Big Horn model when Marlin 444 and 45-70 are so much less money. Marlin's 444 is an impressive powerhouse when loaded with heavier bullets than the standard 240 grains. 45-70 is offered in a wide array of bullet weights for every conceivable hunting situation.

I do comprehend that not everyone is the same and each has his own preferences.

Jack

Also, they hold 6. I believe the big S&W .460 revolver is a 5 shooter??

The XVR is a five-shooter. If the Big Horn rifle holds six, isn't that more than most (but clearly not all) rifles in 45-70? I think the cartridge is a tad shorter. It might not be a major consideration but it is something.

I'm still waiting on a lever gun in .327 Federal... :(

why spend well over a thousand dollars on a Big Horn model when Marlin 444 and 45-70 are so much less money.
Why spend $700 when you can get an H&R single shot for $200?
Same reason a guy I know, who is vehemently against breaking the speed limit, bought a Corvette.

BHA is selling all they can make, and the few reviews I have seen were positive. The fit finish and gneral quality does seem tp be well above current production Marlins or Henrys.

Last edited:
I am late to the party here.

The 460 is every bit as cable as the 45-70 when shoot from same barrel length and more when it comes to lighter bullet.

Ruger did produce a #1 with 22" barrel and TC markets a 22" single shoot.

My #1 shoots Hornady Factory 200FTX loads at 2900 fps and hand loaded 355 grain lead at 2500 fps. The 405 lead shoots about 100 fps slower than my best 45-70 load ( out of a #1 with 26" barrel) but the 460 out performs it at the 350 grain bullets.

The model 90 Big Horn will be a beautiful when they finally reach the market based on their 500 S&W out there. I been waiting almost 2 years for mine to be delivered so I can make no real claim as to how they will perform.

As for the 45 raptor remember this is on the AR10 platform and they are heavy.

I don't do any development work with the Contender but would expect similar performance to the #1.

While the 460 S&W is a true handgun cartridge it performs exceptional well in a rifle.

Be safe
Ruggy

The model 90 Big Horn will be a beautiful when they finally reach the market based on their 500 S&W out there. I been waiting almost 2 years for mine to be delivered so I can make no real claim as to how they will perform.
:o I had no idea they were delayed. Are they simply behind or have they not released any rifles? I'm under the impression some rifles have been shipped. In my communication with them it does seem as though they are way behind and have absolutely no interest in any other projects.

My Big Horn Armory 460s finally arrived and they were worth the wait.
Pictured below with a Model 89 stainless rifle, Model 90 stainless carbine and a case color hardened Model 90 rifle.

Have only shoot a 100 rounds each through the Model 90s to get the actions loosed a little but so far the are proving to be accurate with my target loads from 200 to 300 grains. Can't wait to some more shooting time a little load development done for them.

good luck and be safe
Ruggy

P1070167_zpsmisv5ora.jpg

P1070168_zps2n8ti2ck.jpg

P1070169_zpsb3yjui2a.jpg

P1070170_zpse4qd3r1q.jpg

Bighorn will build you a levergun in 500 but it's still a fairly short range carbine with iron sights. I've had good luck with my scoped RUGER 96 in 44 MAG for distances out to about 100 yards or so. My favorite bullet is the 270 grain Speer and I've NEVER recovered a single expanded bullet from a deer. They just penetrate all the way through each and every time. This would be a good moose gun for reasonable ranges, too. 44 MAG is quite lethal, indeed.

Jack

Very very nice Ruggyh!! A bit out of my price range but very nice rifles, I bet they let you know your alive when you fire them.

Bighorn will build you a levergun in 500 but it's still a fairly short range carbine with iron sights. I've had good luck with my scoped RUGER 96 in 44 MAG for distances out to about 100 yards or so. My favorite bullet is the 270 grain Speer and I've NEVER recovered a single expanded bullet from a deer. They just penetrate all the way through each and every time. This would be a good moose gun for reasonable ranges, too. 44 MAG is quite lethal, indeed.

Jack

All big bores are 100 yard guns with iron sites, with my eyes.

You can put a scope on these if you want to reach out.

The 460 will reach out past 300 yards - 22" barrel sends 200 grainer at 2950 fps.

Last edited:
I'm confused.
If the 460 SW is a 200+ yard cartridge(and I think that is conservative)
If people shoot iron sights out to 1000 yards.
How is the 460 & iron sights limited to 100 yards?

Maybe with buckhorn, but the BHA ships with aperture sights and there are aftermarket options for all the other rifles. Encores have click adjustable target knobbed aperture sights available from Williams for instance.

Last edited:
All big bores are 100 yard guns with iron sites.
Really? :confused: I have to apologize, then, because I used to shoot my 1871 Mauser out to 300-400 yds.

If big bores are 100 yds guns, why did Winchester make the 1886 with tang sights? Why did Sharps sell their 1873 in 45-120 for 1000 yds match shooting?

I think you need to rethink that one.

Back