No Firearms Signs

BarryLee said:
Actually I think insurance, litigation, bad press, etc. is the very reason businesses post these signs.

Could be, but I've yet to see confirmation from one single insurance company that actually required those signs or an example of an unposted business suffering a loss due to not having them.

I don't remember what gun related board I was on, but folks were actively trying to get an answer about which insurance company was requiring this. Nobody could get an answer from any of them stating that they are required or an insurance break is given for them.

IMO, the folks posting out of liability or insurance concerns are probably the folks who received their GED in Law by correspondence by watching episodes of Law & Order. They may think they need to post it, but they won't be able to explain why or show an actual link to liability or insurance reasons.

In Ohio where I live, I run across these signs more than I would like. I try not to do business with these places unless it's absolutely necessary. The last time I encountered one was at the local UPS outlet store. The ones where you take your package and they pack it up and ship it. I told them the last time I was in there that I wouldn't be back unless the sign was removed. The salesman behind the counter smiled and said I understand.

It really creates a nervous situation in my opinion. You always have to make an effort to make sure your not breaking the law, every place you go.

Around 1-2 weeks after I received my first CCL I was meeting with my local branch bank manager at her office in the bank. I didn't see any signs and walked in unconcerned. I had read the laws concerning where you could, and especially where you couldn't carry legally in Ohio over and over. I was opening a new account when she said, "I need your drivers license." As I was pulling them from my wallet she seen the CC license behind my drivers license and said in a serious way, "is that a gun permit?" I immediately thought uh oh, I just received my CCL and I've already made a mistake. She's going to have me arrested. I was trying to remember, is banks listed with schools, post offices, mental hospitals, churches, etc...... how did I miss that!

Needless to say I looked at her, probably with panic written all over my face and she smiled and said, "My husband just got his, thats how I recongnized it." Whew........

Now that I've had my license for some time and feel a whole lot more comfortable, I probably would just smile and say yep that's what it is.

Anyway I hope to see less and less of these signs instead of more.

Last edited:
As I was pulling them from my wallet she seen the CC license behing my drivers license and said in a serious way, "is that a gun permit."

That made me chuckle - last weekend, I stopped by a branch of my bank to get some papers notarized. I gave the lady my driver's license and she pointed out that it was expired (whoops!) So I gave her my CCW permit instead. No problem, no reaction, just business as usual.

The buildings where I work have prominent signs at every entrance (as well as at the parking lot entrances) with a revolver and a Bowie knife with slashes through them and text that bans weapons and replicas of weapons. I figure that it's easier to comply with that request than it is to get fired.

The gun shops around here seem to only require that non-concealed weapons be either cased or have the actions open. And I honestly haven't run across any businesses that have a "no guns" sign anywhere.

At the same TGI Fridays in Indiana I referenced above, the server carded me when I ordered a beer( I am a young looking 25). My wallet's drivers license slot is detachable and has an above/below configuration so you can "flip out" your license without removing it from the wallet. Normally my drivers license is in the upper portion and my FOID card is in the lower. Like I normally do, I pulled the whole assembly free from my wallet and when this guy saw my FOID card he went white as a ghost and immediately asked if I was conceal carrying. I informed the gentlemen that in Illinois where I am from, they do not let us do that so I am not carrying. The rest of the night this guy acted like I was from Mars or something.

The only place I've noticed signs in my area (Eastern NC) is establishments that are prohibited by law. On the other hand, the local Gander Mountain has a sign stating that all weapons being brought in for repair, service, or trade in must be unloaded and cased. It also says that this does NOT apply to a weapon being carried either conceled or openly for personal protection. Good on them!

My Bank

Went to my bank last month. I noticed a, no guns, added to the no dark glasses or hats sign. As I had buisness with the manager. I asked when the addition was made. He said it had been four months. I mentioned if I had seen it earlyer I would have closed my account by then. He said they realy just don't want people to be waiving their guns around. I told him mine stayed in my pocket for the most part, but I still had some considering to do.
Went back last week the sign is gone. Went today, still gone. Wonder if my statment had an impact?

I noticed a, no guns, added to the no dark glasses or hats sign.

How about a no brown shoes with blue suit sign? A no spandex on women over 25 sign?

ppkman said:
Does anyone know of an incident where CC actually led to an arrest for trespassing? If you're not printing, no worries, and if you're made and notified, you are very likely to be simply asked to leave.

About ten years ago, a fellow I knew went to his usual bank to have some part of his CCW application notarized. The girl at the desk didn't like guns, and gave him a lecture about it. The next time he came in, she called the police. They searched his truck without a warrant.

He was pushed around a bit, then taken into lock up. He was advised by detectives what he should confess to because they would hate to see his truck damaged. They dictated his confession.

At trial, the police testimony about how he came to be arrested didn't match the defendant's. The bank's tape of the event would have cleared the matter up, except that just as two POs approached the man in line, the tape went blank for ten minutes.

He was acquitted of all charges. His fees were $25,000.

That is an atypical experience, but I wouldn't do a lot of gratuitous envelop pushing in a bank.

Last edited:
There is local restaraunt that I go to here and they have a sign " No Concealed Carry" on premise. Its 12 feet inside the door, so you are already in violation of the policy. ????

Last edited:
Seems to me that it would be the insurance companies that are pushing the gun free zones, not the actual employees. Of course they don't want to lose business because of it so they may try to "hide" the signs, but if the shtf they can always say "I told you not to bring a gun in here".

Yes...they do want it both ways.

Law review articles indicate that the majority legal opinion is that concealed carriers represent some risk to the store or business. Carrying employees even more.

The signs cover them and the no employee carry policy covers them if the concealed carrier does something bad or the employee does something bad.

Now before you say that you can sue them for not allowing to carry, I couldn't find any literature suggesting that and our own progun legal guys think that wouldn't fly in court.

Now before you say that you can sue them for not allowing to carry, I couldn't find any literature suggesting that and our own progun legal guys think that wouldn't fly in court.

I wouldn't sue them, I just informed NFCU that I will be taking my business elsewhere, including the 1.3 M loan for the new horse barn. Hit them in the pocket if you wish to make a statement.

I believe in the Constitutional Right to Carry Arms.

I also believe in the right not to carry arms. I believe a private business has the right to forbid firearms just like they have the right to put up 'NO SHOES, NO SHIRT, NO SERVICE"

However, capatilism being what it is, we have the right to chose where we shop or eat.

I don't believe the goverment has the right to force someone to allow barefoot w/out shirts, or someone to carry againste the wishes of a private business.

I would think that unless the law states its illegal, carrying a firearm in a business that forbids them leaves one open to a "tresspass charge" if told to leave because you have a firearm.

Heh.....

I've never seen such a sign! I wonder why? Oh wait! I know! Its 'cuz I live in Illinois and my gun is chained to my house. Silly me.

Law review articles indicate that the majority legal opinion is that concealed carriers represent some risk to the store or business. Carrying employees even more.
It's also a human resources thing. Beginning in the late 1980's, the corporate world took the view that an armed employee was a simmering crock pot of seething rage, just waiting for a trigger to set him off. I've seen memos and policies outlining how one could identify a potentially violent employee by an interest in guns.

In some cases, businesses were convinced that allowing customers to carry could also result in bloodshed and blowback for the company. We know that's incorrect. Peggy at the corporate office doesn't.

Generally, if a place has a "no guns" sign, I avoid it. It's their property, and their choice. I've heard plenty of folks scream, "concealed means CONCEALED" and "what they don't know won't hurt 'em," but I find that incredibly rude. Right or not, property owners have some right to determine what behavior they want to allow on the premises.

There is local restaraunt that I go to here and they have a sign " No Concealed Carry" on premise. Its 12 feet inside the door, so you are already in violation of the policy.

So does that mean open carry is OK? Or are they indicating that they would like you to, 12 feet inside the door, remove your weapon from concealment and display it? :eek:

Anyways, in many states the signs are simply the owner's wishes and for violating, you will be asked to leave. In Ohio, you don't get that chance, if you ignore the sign and get caught you, at the least, will be charged with misdemeanor improper carry or something like that.

IMO, the signs are pointless, but that's fine because its pointless to me to spend my money there. Does anyone donate money to religions they don't belong to?

First, I CCW.( Las Vegas)

That's it, it's a none issue.:cool:

I fact, it never comes to mind 98.334487% of the time.

FYI, I never open carry until my belt buckle comes.

Attachments

• Gun Naa Belt buckle.jpg
    Gun Naa Belt buckle.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 18
Back