NO expansion...

Absolutely! 9mm was brought into the modern age, along with many other calibers when hollowpoints became more than just a hole in a bullet :D.

I would go with the lighter loads then if the 124's aren't doing the job (115's was it in 9mm?). I have the same concern with my snubnose revolver and will be trying lighter bullets and +p rounds as you suggested.

If you want an in depth review of how various 9mm JHP's perform out of short barrel pistols like the P938, do yourself a favor and go watch ShootingTheBull410's 9mm Ammo Quest series. It will let you compare objective, apples-to-apples tests as they apply to 3" barrel 9's.

Me, I'm sticking with 124 grain Federal HST's in my XD Subcompact.

I think about this when I am deciding to carry my Glock 26 or my 17. Hard to argue the same bullet from the 17 will be traveling faster and should penetrate further and have a better chance of expansion.

It always amuses me that the same people who say that caliber does not matter insist that hps are required. If you don't see the disconnect there I can't help ya. Large caliber going through and through is the most important thing. If you can get an expanding bullet that will do that terrific. The 45s I carry chrono at over 1200fps 185g jhp that expand to over .9 and penetrate very well out of my 4in 625. In my back up I carry 357 hard cast wad cutters that will go through a black bear.

Back